• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C10 true gas mileage!

Ironwood

Okay...so I have checked the last 2 tanks to really see what my 2000 C10 (40,000 miles) ACTUAL mileage is. To preface this I use 87 pure gas and add 2oz Marvel Mystery Oil per take full (usually fill up with approximately 4 gallons. I try to be as exact as I can when filling up. I stay on - no side stand - and fill right up to the bottom of the neck. I'm a pretty conservation rider - usually not over 70-75mph.

First tank on my experiment = 46.7mpg. Second thank = 48.1! That's as true as measurements that I can do. So, I have a couple questions on this. 1. How much does ambient air temperature play in this? I ride early in the AM - 75-85 degrees. 2. Could adding MMO each fill be doing anything for mileage?

I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this!

You are slightly better than me by a couple MPG overall around town, but, that's about right. Not sure about temp or additives but when I go south into GA and do a lot of curvy, mountain stuff at cooler temps, my mpg's jump to around 50mpg, so, yeah, you are doing ok.

I should have mentioned too that those numbers I get are solo, two up, over weight, 65mph, 75mph, rain, sun, it does not matter, it only changes when I'm running up and down the mountains and scraping pegs, which Ted tells me I should not do.

2. Could adding MMO each fill be doing anything for mileage?
The first question this raises in my mind is if the cost of MMO is less than the cost difference of the gas?

A true reading of your gas mileage will probably not be found in two tankfulls, but in ten. You're competing against yourself trying to get a great result. I'll bet you're riding nice and smooth and not like you normally do while scraping pegs. Tell me what your gas mileage is over 10-20 fillups, and I'll know what you're really getting. ;) And make the difference between fillups around 200 miles.

But it's a good best case scenario for your kind of riding. :) And it is fun to compete against yourself and see just what you and your bike can achieve.

Chris

I should have mentioned too that those numbers I get are solo, two up, over weight, 65mph, 75mph, rain, sun, it does not matter, it only changes when I'm running up and down the mountains and scraping pegs, which Ted tells me I should not do.
I did?
Thought I sed a person shouldn't drag them if they use the right weight transfer. (or rides slow like me) :cool:

Ride safe, Ted

Well, yeah, essentially that's what you told me......which, if you think about it, is the same thing. šŸ˜