• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Not Starting

jmfelice

Looking for help getting a 2016 C14 started. Apx. 6500 miles. No mechanical experience.

Background:
My father passed in November (a former COG member) and he left behind a bike that he never got to ride. He did have the opportunity to remove several components with the intent of upgrading them later on. He removed the windshield, seat, gas tank, and had the ECU flashed. I've put mostly everything back together aside from two hoses that I seem to go nowhere. One of those hoses comes from the coolant overflow tank and is left dangling. The other comes from somewhere else (god only knows) and is also left dangling. In addition, there is a hose that he plugged with a screw and appears to have a cable in it (perhaps he was installing a cruise control).

Aside from the loose hoses, The bike won't start. I reinstalled the tank, battery, and ECU. Electrical is good. It gives all the indications that it wants to start, but it won't. I thought about the fuel pump - but I'm not sure how I would diagnose it.

If anyone is interested in a problem I could surely use the assistance. I'll post photos as soon as I can.

The hose to the overflow tank goes to the radiator cap upper fitting; the other hose goes on the lower fitting then disappears to the thermostat housing.

The third thingy with an adjusting screw/knob is the idle speed adjuster and dangles down the left side by the gear lever.

When you turn on ignition you should be able to hear the fuel pump buzz for a few seconds. Do you?

Your Dad was a good man and greatly admired hereabouts. I'm sure someone local will be glad to help you out.

Last edited:
Looking for help getting a 2016 C14 started. Apx. 6500 miles. No mechanical experience.

Background:
My father passed in November (a former COG member) and he left behind a bike that he never got to ride. He did have the opportunity to remove several components with the intent of upgrading them later on. He removed the windshield, seat, gas tank, and had the ECU flashed. I've put mostly everything back together aside from two hoses that I seem to go nowhere. One of those hoses comes from the coolant overflow tank and is left dangling. The other comes from somewhere else (god only knows) and is also left dangling. In addition, there is a hose that he plugged with a screw and appears to have a cable in it (perhaps he was installing a cruise control).

Aside from the loose hoses, The bike won't start. I reinstalled the tank, battery, and ECU. Electrical is good. It gives all the indications that it wants to start, but it won't. I thought about the fuel pump - but I'm not sure how I would diagnose it.

If anyone is interested in a problem I could surely use the assistance. I'll post photos as soon as I can.
Where are you located?

It would be good to have someone double-check to be sure all is connected correctly and no fuse is bad. The lack of a fuel pump buzz could be as simple as a fuseā€¦ or a bad pump.

If the bike sat for more than a couple months with gas that has alcohol in it, the fuel pump could be all gummed up. Would likely need the tank removed, drain the old gas, and inspect the pump. Might as well have the bag filter replaced regardless.

Plan on having brakes and clutch fluid drained and replaced. Old fluid likely has absorbed a bunch of moisture and can let you down when brakes are needed most.

JM, another member recently had a similar problem but his had not been setting. The fix on his was to unplug and re-plug the ECU.

On yours I suspect a pump.

EZ test to know if it's fuel; Spray a bit of starting fluid into the intake while cranking.
If it cranks, you're not getting fuel.
If it doesn't crank, other issues.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Hey JM- both my husband Blaise and I were lucky enough to spend time with your Dad. He was a hoot and we would be in stitches for hours. Your Mom is so awesome and we miss seeing her!

So Blaise's 2012 C14 wasn't starting. It finally started when he unplugged and replaced in the ECU AND turned up the idle knob. This did the trick and we were good to go.

I hope you get it going!

That "hose" with the screw in it is your idle adjuster, if it is low on the left side of the bike near the shift lever. I accidentally turned mine down to the point of the bike not starting. It's normally bad form on a fuel injected bike, but try giving it some throttle to start it.

That "hose" with the screw in it is your idle adjuster, if it is low on the left side of the bike near the shift lever. I accidentally turned mine down to the point of the bike not starting. It's normally bad form on a fuel injected bike, but try giving it some throttle to start it.
I've been thinking about this, and don't think the idle cable was the issue. The cold start procedure has the ECU opening the primary throttle through the linkage on the subthrottles and controlled by the subthrottle stepper motor. The primary throttle shaft / linkage isn't even in contact with the threaded stub of the idle speed adjuster on startups. That being the case, i don't know how the idle adjuster could have anything to do with the startup , particularly on a cold start when the stepper sets the idle speed about 500 rpm higher than warm base idle.

Steve

Background:

Please be sure to post when you get her started and how you achieved the goal.

The hose to the overflow tank goes to the radiator cap upper fitting; the other hose goes on the lower fitting then disappears to the thermostat housing.

The third thingy with an adjusting screw/knob is the idle speed adjuster and dangles down the left side by the gear lever.

When you turn on ignition you should be able to hear the fuel pump buzz for a few seconds. Do you?

Your Dad was a good man and greatly admired hereabouts. I'm sure someone local will be glad to help you out.
Thanks for the info - and the diagram.

Of the 2 hoses giving me trouble, the one coming from the overflow tank (part # 39062B) I'm still unsure of. The diagram is ambiguous and I don't see a port under the bike.

The other hose is still a huge mystery.

I do hear the fuel pump (or what I believe is the fuel pump) for about a 2 count. No engine noise though. All electrical seems okay.

Thanks for the info - and the diagram.

Of the 2 hoses giving me trouble, the one coming from the overflow tank (part # 39062B) I'm still unsure of. The diagram is ambiguous and I don't see a port under the bike.

The other hose is still a huge mystery.

I do hear the fuel pump (or what I believe is the fuel pump) for about a 2 count. No engine noise though. All electrical seems okay.
After a bit of reading it appears I cannot post images with the temporary account. Ugh. I guess my descriptions of a mysterious hose will have to remain.... mysterious.

Hey JM- both my husband Blaise and I were lucky enough to spend time with your Dad. He was a hoot and we would be in stitches for hours. Your Mom is so awesome and we miss seeing her!

So Blaise's 2012 C14 wasn't starting. It finally started when he unplugged and replaced in the ECU AND turned up the idle knob. This did the trick and we were good to go.

I hope you get it going!
Thanks for the kind words. He could certainly handle a crowd. Years ago we had a game where we tried to eat our dinner without spewing from laughter. He usually won.

When I first looked at the bike, the ECU was not attached. He had it flashed by Ivan and so I just hooked it up. Seemed like the right thing to do...

Did u try the starting fluid , that Ted (connie rider) suggested. If it fires using the starting fluid, then u know it's a fuel delivery issue. If it doesn't it would indicate its a spark issue.

Makes me wonder if ur dad had installed 1 of his K-pass immobilizer recovery gizmos, for the future when the bike wouldn't start. There's a seperate thread in the c14 area, as it was just a recent topic. CHeck it out as well, the recovery process was eezy peezy from what I read...

All hail and rejoice! The bike starts! Apparently after riding for 10 or 15 years my dear mother forgot to inform me that once the key is engaged you have to reach over push a little button.... Commence the ball busting. I will go home now, lick my wounds, and start my penance. In fairness, a car requires no additional steps beyond the turning of a key.

Only the 2 hoses remain issues.
Then, of course, there's the question of who wants to buy a (basically) brand new 2016 C14.

I will now sit back and read what I'm sure will be a series of delightful responses.

Now,,, "THAT" (push the starter button) is something that none of us would have guessed wasn't being done! :eek:

Miss yer Dad.
Setting here trying to imagine the laughs that ya wood'v heard if you were telling him this. šŸ˜‚

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I think you'll find some of us have done similar silly things , like forgetting to reset the kill switch. Glad u got it going...

I'm mildly curious, what color is it? Send me some pictures at 630 267 7996. Plz...