• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 rear shock swap. 1st ride impressions.

pbfoot

Crotch Rocket
This past weekend I finally got around to a modification I have been wanting for a while. I picked up a rear shock on eBay for $68. Fabricated a lower bushing out of 17-4 stainless. DaytonaMike was correct, the factory shock is a piece of junk. I can't believe how smooth the ride is. It is firmer, yet more supple over bumps, even on the softest setting. The only downside is it sits up so high, feels like a dirt bike.

You mention that it sits up so high. Did you increase the eye to eye length of the shock over the stock length, or is it due to the fact that the properly sprung shock does not collapse when you sit on it like the crap factory shock?

Staylo said:
You mention that it sits up so high. Did you increase the eye to eye length of the shock, or is it due to the fact that the properly sprung shock does not collapse when you sit on it like the crap factory shock?
  The C14 shock is 1-1/2" longer, eye to eye. Sure makes it easy to get on the center stand!

Staylo said:
I bet it tips in nice though.  :))
Yes, the steering is quicker. The front and rear seem more evenly damped and sprung now. I have the cartridge fork emulators and 1kg. Sonic springs in front. I have the complete lower link from the C14, this weekend will be pulling it back apart so I can compare. I am going to machine my own lowering links if the C14 links will not swap over easily.

Can you raise the front 1/4" - maybe meet the geometry in the middle somewhere - ? \

Lowering links for the rear sound smart for sure. That price in unreal - C-10 guys should be all over these.  :beerchug:

Fais said:
Can you raise the front 1/4" - maybe meet the geometry in the middle somewhere - ? \

Lowering links for the rear sound smart for sure. That price in unreal - C-10 guys should be all over these.  :beerchug:
Dont know that I would sell any. Soupys links, @$200, are a bit pricey. Unless I could find some used ones. As far as raising the front forks, I will ride it like it is until I lower the rear.

PB, you can also buy (or build) a Lowering Rocker.
Somewhere in the Forum is a discussion on doing that.

Ride safe, Ted

NOTE: I may remove my lowering rocker in the next couple of days.
          (If I go to a C-14 rear shock, I'll be re-installing it)
          Until then; Your welcome to use it for measurement's?

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

That would be great. I sent you a text this weekend. I have a bushing for the swap for you.

Pbfoot said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

That would be great. I sent you a text this weekend. I have a bushing for the swap for you.

I have an extra lowering block if you want to borrow it.

Fred, I would really like to compare the blocks one of these days.

PB: Just realized. I also have a set of stock links you could use to determine how to make lowering links.
        (Note: Lowering Links must be lengthened to lower the bike...)

Ride safe, Ted

fred-houston said:
Pbfoot said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

I have an extra lowering block if you want to borrow it.
That would be appreciated. I will be in touch soon.