• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 Stove Pipe Key

rlievenski4555

Help! I have my 2009 in winter storage and need to know if I can remove the stove pipe key with no battery in the bike. I need to remove the seat to get to the ECU. I am 2.5 hours away from home and did not bring the fob with the removable key. I don’t want to force anything and need to know if it can be removed without any power to the bike. If not, I’ll need to figure out how to pick the lock.

I do not believe you can remove the stove pipe key without the fob, otherwise anybody could pull the key and steal your bags, seat or leave you stranded!

You could run jumper cables to the bike temporarily, but without a fob it still wont turn to FSS to allow you to remove it.

If the bike is in Winter storage it should be on a battery tender. My bike is connected to a battery tender even if parked overnight. However you still need the FOB to remove the key.

If the bike is in Winter storage it should be on a battery tender. My bike is connected to a battery tender even if parked overnight. However you still need the FOB to remove the key.
I pulled the battery and have it on a piece of wood connected to a tender back at home. Where the bike is stored has no power.

I bit the bullet and just came home, grabbed the key, and went back Monday morning. Took me no longer than 3 minutes to retrieve the ECU. All is well with the world now.

In a pinch, I would have probably used a couple 6V lantern batteries in series just to get the key out.
I'm also wondering how low you can go on that voltage.

To keep a car radio and other electronics memory working in some vehicles, I've seen savvy techs use a 9V battery to keep memory alive while pulling the 12V battery. But I believe there is a solenoid that needs to be energized to turn/operate that key. I could be wrong. But, I'm now curious and wondering if a 9V battery can actuate that solenoid or relay?

In a pinch, I would have probably used a couple 6V lantern batteries in series just to get the key out.
I'm also wondering how low you can go on that voltage.

To keep a car radio and other electronics memory working in some vehicles, I've seen savvy techs use a 9V battery to keep memory alive while pulling the 12V battery. But I believe there is a solenoid that needs to be energized to turn/operate that key. I could be wrong. But, I'm now curious and wondering if a 9V battery can actuate that solenoid or relay?
The other thought was that the key in the fob has a code stamped on it. I think I could have had a spare key made from the code… but not sure. Academic now as I am all set. Good ideas on the batteries. I know that a 9V battery will work the solenoid on the rear brakes of modern cars to be able to pull the rotor/drum. I have to believe that the ignition solenoid is much smaller.

Many of us have spare keys made just so we can avoid extra wear and tear on the stove knob. I also keep a spare hidden in the bowels of the bike that is easy to get to. It don't look like a key, but it is. Some folks have keys glued to knobs and just leave them in the saddle bag locks. Only us COGGERs know what they really are, tho they just look like knobs.

They look like these.

Super easy to make, got a buddy who used black coke bottle caps so they blend in better. There's a thread or 2 abiut making these. I just leave mine in the bags when it's parked in the garage, so I don't have to remove the stove key or go get the passive with the spare key.

There's also a thread about NOT taking the stove key out, period. Allows dirt and gunk to get in the lock mechanism and foul it up.

Attachments

• 20221111_184312.jpg
    20221111_184312.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 50
  • 20221111_184257.jpg
    20221111_184257.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 55
Could someone please tell me why it's called a "stove pipe key"?
Do a graphic web search for "Stove Knobs". The answer will be obvious.

Here's a sample:
Zw

I though about making one with a key as a joke.

I like this one. The numbers might blow someone's brain.
MTQuanBn

Last edited:
And since some on here believe the work Knob has sexual innuendo, we changed it to ...:rolleyes:

We should have a contest at the next National Rally to see who can come up with the most interesting stove knob that could fit in that slot. I'm still on the lookout for a suitable vintage knob that would look super spiffy. Glue a key into it and make it work.