• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

C14 tires

doug62

Big Wheel
I have a 2008 C14 with 20,000 mi. Most of the miles were two up . I've gone through the original tires and 3 sets of Bridgestone Battlax BT-023's. I am looking for a tire that lasts and is still good for the twisties.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
doug

A tire thread!!!  :))

Well, there are plenty of tires and plenty of debates on tires. The best tires for the twisties tend not to last as long  as the mileage tires. People like the Michelin PR2's for mileage on wear. But I found them to be too hard and slip without warning constantly. But others love them. So like I said, debatable. I personally prefer the Pirelli Angel ST over the PR2. They may not last quite as long as the PR2, but I feel the perform much better in dry grip. Right now I have the Michelin PR3's on my bike. So far I like them. They are better in the wet than both the PR2 and Angel (which are both good in the wet). But the Angels are still (IMO) better in the dry. But I don't have enough miles on the to say how they will last. If they wear very well, I would use them again. But if they don't wear that well. Then I will probably go back to the Angels.  I prefer better grip over better wear. So in the comparison between the PR2 and Angels. I would take the surefootedness of the Angels over a little better wear of the PR2's. But that's just me. Like I said though, it's debatable and you'll get lots of difffernt opinions. It's a tire thread!

Another vote for the PR3s from me.
Am at 8,700 miles on the rear and it's starting to get squirmy on white lines and tar-snakes and it's not far from hitting the wear-bars.
I'll be replacing it with another one on Saturday.
By then it will have 9,000 miles on it.
The front tyre looks scrubbed in now.  ;D
I got similar mileage from the PR2s I had but this tyre handles so much better and in the wet there is no contest.

MKorn said:
Bob,
  are the PR2's better than the OEM Brickstones?

Yes and no. For the most part yes! The PR2's wear better and handle better in wet and dry. But they had a tendency to step out without warning. (at least mine and others did). But they are better than the 021's IMO.
Although the 021's were pretty good when brand new. But they went down hill pretty quick. Mine made the bike push terrible in turns. But my 021's never stepped out. At least they were good at that!  :))

thanks Bob ... almost in need of a front tire at 3500 miles and i want better than the OEM's but concerned about the PR3 and the rumors.
waiting to hear from all the folks that are already running them before i buy em.

The PR2's are light years ahead of the oem's. Hella better.. In every way. No 'Rumors' here just diggin Michelins..

Interesting comments from Cap'n Bob.
I have a 2008 which I bought a few months back that has a PR2 front and a Shinko Stealth on the back (previous owner wore out a tire on a trip and that was all he could get). Actually like the feel of the Shinko on the rear and thought I liked the PR2 on the front until I recently had a few slides.
First was in the wet on a slow 20 mph corner and front end slipped more than a foot and I just saved it. Yes, may have been a greasy spot and any tire may have slipped, but it scared the crap out of me  ???. Since then I have felt it slip on dry pavement and have lost confidence in it. At least I know I am not alone!
Looking at putting a PR3 on the front now and putting the same on the back when that wears out.
Out of interest, has anyone tried a Shinko Stealth front? Could not come up with anything using search.

I have been thru 2 sets of Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact's. Grip was excellent and they were good in the rain. I got about 6000 miles out of each set, with the front wearing faster than the rear. Next I went to Pirelli Angel ST's and I liked them better than the Interac's. Grip was better and they were excellent rain tires! Before installing the Pirelli's I put on Muzzy's lowering struts because I heard they would reduce front tire wear. It worked, the tires wear was same front and rear. The Angel ST's were good for unbelievable wear. 9600 miles out of the first set and 10,600 out of the second. I did a couple of Iron Butt runs on the second set, which undoubtedly contributed to the extra miles.
Now I have Continental Road Attack 2's. They have excellent grip even in hot weather. The Angel ST's got a little slick in the heat of the day, because supposedly Pirelli uses silicone compounds. What I really like about the Attack 2's is they come with no tire mold residue. Brand new the tires look scuffed and they require NO break in! I only have about 1000 miles on the tires, so no comment yet on the wear and here in California we shouldn't see rain for months. These tires will probably never see rain before they wear out unless I ride to Sturgis.
Tire prices are going thru the roof!  Based on my experience, I will buy Conti's again. I've seen Fred's comments on Dunlop's and pretty much agree.  I have never heard anything good about the Bridgestone's, I only got about 3000 miles out of my original set.

I too vote for the Continental Road Attack 2's.  I ride with a bunch of sport bikers and I have no problems hanging with them in the twists.  I've put a little over 1,000 mile on them and love how they changed the riding characteristics of my C14.  The OEM 021's felt like it was falling into corners and you had to push them out on exit.  The Attack 2's have a wonderful neutral feel.  And boy, do they stick to the road.  Being in the Northwest, I can attest to their abilities on wet roads. I also think they provide a softer ride. :)

I have a report thread on the Shinko 011s.  Very happy so far.  over 2500 miles, not much wear in the middle and very good grip, faster turn in.  Worn to the edges, so I do corner.