• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Camping Near the 2020 National

LSGiant

Joane and I are staying at Battle Ground State Park in site #1.  This park looks nice on line and we have friends who live out there that have visited the park and recommend it also. It only has some water and electric sites and a few big rig sites but generators are allowed. The pdf description says 35 ft limit but that is not correct as there are some larger sites. It also has cabins and tent sites. It is about 25 minutes from rally central. COG will not be making reservations so you are on your own. Right now the park appears to be fully available.

https://parks.state.wa.us/472/Battle-Ground-Lake

https://parks.state.wa.us/223/Reservations

So is the rally team not trying to set up a camping location this year?  My guess is you just need to wait to see where they line up if you want to be with the group.

smithr1 said:
So is the rally team not trying to set up a camping location this year?  My guess is you just need to wait to see where they line up if you want to be with the group.

The rally team is not setting up any camping.

Wow....!!  Just curious as to what the reasoning was behind that decision.  I cant recall the last national that didnt list a camping site.  Will the lodging portion of the national include a list of nearby camping sites, from which one could choose from at least?

Guys/Gals,

Jeff is correct, the rally team will not be coordinating any camping for the 2020 national. My apologies to all of the campers, but the past rally meisters have let me know trying to organize the camping thing has been the biggest headache with very little return on investment.

This thread is going to be your best resource for camping so I am going to sticky it for easy reference.

Thanks for posting up a couple sites Jeff. :great:

I think he's talking about how  many additional people who would attend if there is camping but who would not attend if there is no camping. Not a financial consideration. In our part of the country, it would possibly be a lot because we have a lot of camping folks, including RV'ers and tenters. I'm one of them who likes to camp. In other parts of the country, maybe not so much. Just my opinion, his response may differ.

I understand. My point is that it takes, what, 30 minutes to locate/contact a nearby campground? Too much "investment?"

Ranger Jim said:
My point is that it takes, what, 30 minutes to locate/contact a nearby campground? Too much "investment?"

Jeff is correct, it has nothing to do with $$, it is about taking the time to find something close ‘enough’ that works for everybody, try to negotiate a price for n number of coggers who may or may not want to stay at that campground, and then pray every camper is happy with your selection. I spent hours (days/weeks) looking for an affordable rally central with camping and nearby amenities so it would work for both rally central goers and campers. I came to the conclusion campers can spend 30 minutes and find what works best for them. There are campgrounds nearby, but none within walking distance. Cortez was awesome, a path from hotel to campground.

Just as an FYI the park that we are staying in fits our needs and may work for others. If you have 40 foot toy hauler or need full time water and sewer It may not be your place to stay. Almost all the RV parks did not allow tent camping. I spent a lot more than 30 minutes looking on line and then had the luxury of knowing someone that lives out there to do some scouting for me.  I don't see how the rally team would have been able to find a spot in this area that would have satisfied all the different types of campers.

And for everyone out there. The BOD is currently looking for 2021 National Rally hosts. We look at take from any area. It doesn't need be an areas "turn".  It can also be somewhere we have been before. So if someone has that great location that does it all. Please put your proposal together and contact Chuck or your area director.

I've been to many of the Nationals.  Camped at all except the Williamsport.  Thought I'd try the Hotel.  I was at the last table to be served.  One of my group went out and got a pizza, brought it back and shared it with the table while we waited for the hotel to get more food.  Not a big deal.  Stuff happens.  Had a good time with it.  I actually meet more people and have a better time staying at the campground with the other COGers.  Love the campfires after a day of riding. I come with 3 others.  Cost is always a concern for us.  I'll continue to camp from now on.  For many it's a financial issue.  Camping keeps the Rally within a budget.  I'll definitely camp at Vancouver.  It's a long haul from Kentucky.  Even longer for more eastern states. 

Battle Ground Lake looks like a really nice park for camping or RVs. Too bad about the distance, but that just adds to the riding!  :great:

Have any camping intenders thought about going in together on the Group Camp?  Looks like it sleeps 20-64 in tent sites, has a big fire pit surrounded by benches, a covered eating area with picnic tables and three large wooden lean-to shelters with floors that probably sleep 6-8 each.,  Also has parking for up to 15 vehicles (most of the sites look like they charge extra after the first vehicle). Cost looks like around $130 per night for the entire group site

Looked at the group camp from what I read no RVs allowed.
So it would work for those of folks who were strictly tent camping.

Yep, looks like you are correct. Tents and wood shelters only in the group area. Also a pretty fair distance from the RV area and showers.

I just secured a cabin (C13) for 5 days at Battleground Lake State Park. For five days, sleeping in a bed just seemed like a comfort level I deserve yet half the cost of the hotel! Kitchenette, Connie covered and parked right outside, heck yes. This is my first COG event so I'm looking forward to meeting some folks. I will ride up from Bend.

Battle Ground Lake State Park WA.- Reservation Cancellations :

I contacted reservations at 1-888-226-7688.
As of today (4/10/20) there is a 50% cancellation fee for Campsites and Cabins.
Yes, this is excessive and it is in the guidelines when the reservations were made.
Currently any reservations made for camping until April 30th and 100% refunded.
I was told to call back at the end of April to see if their timelines have changed for refunds.
Stay safe!

LSGiant said:
Battle Ground Lake State Park WA.- Reservation Cancellations :

I contacted reservations at 1-888-226-7688.
As of today (4/10/20) there is a 50% cancellation fee for Campsites and Cabins.
Yes, this is excessive and it is in the guidelines when the reservations were made.
Currently any reservations made for camping until April 30th and 100% refunded.
I was told to call back at the end of April to see if their timelines have changed for refunds.
Stay safe!

Thank you!

I called again the first week of May.
No changes in the refund at this time.
You have 7 days prior to arrival to cancel. They said call back in June to see if there are any regulation changes to allow full refund.
I also asked about saving the res. for next year. Currently they only allow 9 months in advance. I will call again the first week in June...

I suggest contacting your Area Director, and having THEM notify the campground the whole thing is cancelled, and follow up with them, and the rally crew, do duplicate the same message..  don't wait, get your charge card clear and free. now.

MAN OF BLUES said:
I suggest contacting your Area Director, and having THEM notify the campground the whole thing is cancelled, and follow up with them, and the rally crew, do duplicate the same message..  don't wait, get your charge card clear and free. now.

Off site Camping has nothing to do with the Rally team. We were on our own.
When making Washington State Campground reservations they charge the full price immediately.
When you cancel they keep half of the fee up two one week before your arrival, then you lose all of it.
The reasoning behind the delay is due to C-19 and the parks being closed they are giving full refunds for reservations in May. The HOPE is this policy will extend into June. If you cancel before said change there is no full refund.