• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CAN I FLUSH MY ZG 1000 RADIATOR WITH BAKING SODA

Ok the bike is a 2000 model so it is 22 years old. The antifreeze in it now is green. No telling what kind it is or how long it has been in their. Can I use a light mixture of 7.5 teaspoons of baking soda to 3 quarts of distilled water to flush the radiator. I'am thinking I need to do it at least twice maybe and then the last time just distilled water . Each time bringing it up to a heat cycle. I do not want to damage anything so I would appreciate your advice. Thanks

Same question here Murph….

It is a caustic, especially under heat, so it kinda makes sense.

But, never heard of it being used in a radiator.

I’ve heard it being used as a “grit” for sand blasting and I’ve used it for scrubbing ( a burnt spot in butcher block counter top)

So, I’m interested to hear what others say
Cheers
Bob

Personally I've never used baking soda or heard of it being used. I've used distilled white vinegar to flush multiple radiators (bikes and cars) with good success. It usually isn't worth flushing with vinegar unless the system has been really neglected and you suspect particulate buildup, or it just makes you feel good. Flushing 1-2x with clean water is an often more than adequate. Having said that, when I purchase a used vehicle with lots of miles on it that I don't trust has been maintained well, I do the vinegar flush. It's cheap and just takes a little bit longer...

My normal process is:

1. Drain coolant into pan then pour into bottles so you can recycle it
2. Slowly fill radiator with clean tap water
3. Start the bike with the radiator cap off, let it reach operating temp so the thermostat opens, then turn off and let cool a bit (15-30 min)
4. Once cool, drain into pan, it should be somewhat clean at this point but will have some residual coolant mixed in from behind the tstat, so don't give it to your dog (dispose of properly)
5. Slowly fill radiator with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, making sure to squeeze the radiator hoses to get any air bubbles out, and taking a little extra time to allow the system to 'burp' itself
6. Once full, replace the radiator cap and run the engine with the vinegar mixture until it reaches operating temp again.
6b. If desired, you can let it soak for several hours, only needed if you suspect a large buildup of crud...
7. Let it cool, then drain vinegar/water mix into pan and discard (down the sink or dump onto your gravel driveway)
8. Fill radiator again with water, replace the cap, run until hot, let cool, and drain water again. It should be crystal clear at this point... If not, repeat this step until it's flowing clear and doesn't smell at all like vinegar
9. Slowly refill with the correct coolant, and make sure to top off the overflow tank as well, as the system will suck in additional coolant as it cools back down

When I'm done I usually run the bike through at least 2 heat cycles so I can verify there are no leaks anywhere and that the coolant overflow level is not changing, then top it off one last time.

Last edited:
I saw the baking soda deal on line last night with several people on Y- Tube. I would have never done it until I got a positive response from COG members. Murph hit the nail on the head Distilled Water only will be flushing my radiator out. I have never owned a 22 year old motorcycle and in my mind I was thinking this may be the rt thing to do. My mind may need a overhaul ( NA ) Thanks for the responses guys. The motorcycle has bright green antifreeze in it rt now & it looks new to be. But what I do not know is it car antifreeze or motorcycle antifreeze. That is why it has got to come out. Buying a used bike is a gamble. The bike looks new not a scratch on it anywhere. But some things have been neglected. It has new tires but I took the rear tire off to look at the shaft drive. It was dry and needed grease on the splines. Thanks again for the comments.

Dean

If I were really concerned about corrosion in a cooling system I think I would give this a try. I have become a fan of rust 911 for safe, nontoxic rust removal. I have no doubt this is as good a product. You'll get a business card with your order. The chemist that developed these is available to answer any questions. I have talked to him once about a year ago. Good stuff!
Look here

Last edited: