• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CANAAN VALLEY WV WEEKENDER SEPT 28-30

WE WILL BE HEADING TO CANAAN VALLEY ONCE AGAIN TO ENJOY SOME OF THE BEST ROADS YOU CAN FIND IN THE NORTH EAST, THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN HERE KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT, THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YOU NEED TO COME ON DOWN AND EXPERIENCE SOME OF THE BEST ROADS AND MOST AWESOME SCENERY IN THE NORTH EAST, WE HAVE ACQUIRED ANOTHER GREAT RATE THIS YEAR AND ROOMS WILL STILL BE 59.00 A NIGHT SINGLE OR DOUBLE,THE BLOCK OF ROOMS ARE UNDER THE CONCOURS OWNERS GROUP SO MENTION IT WHEN RESERVING A ROOM, THE ROOMS WENT FAST LAST YEAR SO BOOK EARLY IF YOU CAN.SO COME ON OUT AND MEET THE GANG FOR SOME GREAT RIDING AND EVENING TIRE KICKING, CANAAN IS ALWAYS A GREAT TIME. HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL THERE, IF YOU NEED ANY MORE INFO FEEL FREE TO CONTACT ME. THANKS JOE

JR said:
I registered for the event on the calendar some time ago. Only one to register.

I didn't think you had to register for this event as there is no fee. Right?
Better go look at the listing on the calendar............
jason

WV is SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon line, so we get to claim this in the southeast, not the northeast!  :nananana:

We're heading up to WV from Charlotte in just a couple weeks.  We'll warm up the roads for you!  Have fun!!!

correct jason, no registration required, when i added the ride onto the schedule thats the way it appeared, dont know why, my computer skills are very limited  :truce:  anyhow book those rooms and see yinz there.

I did it as a courtesy so the organizer knew I was coming. Actually think everyone should. But true dat, not mandatory.

Sport Rider said:
WV is SOUTH of the Mason-Dixon line, so we get to claim this in the southeast, not the northeast!  :nananana:

We're heading up to WV from Charlotte in just a couple weeks.  We'll warm up the roads for you!  Have fun!!!

COG decided to include Maryland and WV and VA (yes?) in the NE area so they didn't pay any attention to the Mason-Dixon line.

Of course, during the Civil War, neither did either side. The Confederates came up to Hagerstown MD (a couple miles south of the line), burning and looting as they went. Maryland sided with the North, despite being south of the Mason-Dixon line.

By the way....for future reference, if you guys do this every fall, perhaps we could consider a combined NE/SE get together next year.  I always plan my own WV trip each year too, so would match up with mine.

I'd like to see more combined stuff. I bet we could do some pretty good mini-National type stuff, just NE and SE and maybe parts of our brothers just over the "line" to the west.

Well, WV and VA are great riding areas, so any time something is planned, it's a good option.  I'll file it away in my old noodle machine for next year.  :great:

JR said:
I'd like to see more combined stuff. I bet we could do some pretty good mini-National type stuff, just NE and SE and maybe parts of our brothers just over the "line" to the west.

We have done combined events with the other regions and will do more in the future.
All the events I've helped organize are open to any COG member or guest. As I think are most other events.

jason

gsjay said:
JR said:

We have done combined events with the other regions and will do more in the future.
All the events I've helped organize are open to any COG member or guest. As I think are most other events.

jason

I agree, lots we can choose from in our area.

I was talking about a more formal arrangement. For instance, the budget for the NE Fall Rally is what it is, which is less than the combined budget of a Fall Rally that could be hosted by both NE and SE, for example.

Damn!  Just got finished raving about the roads down there in my newsletter column and you guys get to go back!  Unfortunately my remaining vacation days are spoken for... :'(

Canaan Valley is a great place, too!  Anyone who missed the Dog Days should make this one a priority, folks.

Ride some twisties :motonoises: and have some tasty beverages for me! :beerchug:

Sorry you cannot come to it, Terry.

I will definitely make Dog Days next year too, great motel, location, roads, people.

Where are you all saying? I am currently doing a set of shop drawings for renovations and additions to Canaan Valley Resort. Isn't that where he rally was a few years ago?

Vannooch_PA said:
Where are you all saying? I am currently doing a set of shop drawings for renovations and additions to Canaan Valley Resort. Isn't that where he rally was a few years ago?

Sounds like our resort. They are doing a major renovation, two new wings and upgrade to the main lodge.
jason

I have to ask for ADA type accomodations these days, since I can't walk for very long and stairs are barriers. They told me I would be parking right in front of my room. That works for me!!

Jr,
Yea, those rooms are right along side the parkng lot. Should work out fine for you until we start the drag races about 2:00AM  ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the renovations. We stopped earlier in the Summer and things where moving along nicely. But I am concerned that the new facility will be priced out of us frugal COGGERS range.

Jason

gsjay said:
Jr,
Yea, those rooms are right along side the parkng lot. Should work out fine for you until we start the drag races about 2:00AM  ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing the renovations. We stopped earlier in the Summer and things where moving along nicely. But I am concerned that the new facility will be priced out of us frugal COGGERS range.

Jason

If I had known we were drag racing, I'd have traded my Connie to a buddy for his ZX10R for the weekend.  :rotflmao:

Too late now, he is going somewhere with the sport bike club ...... who knows who they are going to terrorize that weekend, as long as its not us.

I hope that place doesn't get too expensive for future events. But anything with Resort in its name is bound to be pricey if the destination gets popular, I guess.

Just confirmed my room reservation. lady told me there have been 11 rooms reserved so far! excited to meet all my fellow NE COGers  :motonoises:

gotta agree with jason, hope when its done we dont get priced out, then on the other hand we have been pretty loyal customers  :beerchug: hey book those rooms while it lasts, see yinz all soon.  :motonoises:

hey, if anyone has a problem getting a room let me know and i will get more added on, dont wait too long though we ran out last year, see yinz there.  thanks joe

We rode past Canaan today.

You can see the new building sticking up in the air towering over the valley. Pretty cool.
Can't wait to get down there and see the progress.

Heard about a new place up the road in Thomas that looks neat.
http://www.facebook.com/TipTopThomas

See youns soon.
jason

gsjay said:
We rode past Canaan today.

I was in Canaan today, too.  Booked my room while I was there.  The blocked out rooms were gone, but they had another room available, and they gave it to me at the group rate.

thanks glenn, i will call and see if we can get more rooms added on to our block. it was great that they still gave you our rate.

thanks jason, i hit it a few years ago it was a good time, music, eats , lots of things to check out, on another note, lisa will continue to give us our rate down at canaan and keep us together as long as there are rooms available so if your thinking about going get off the fence and book now.  thanks joe

You guys who have been riding the Canaan area probably already know this, but I'll mention it here just in case.  Route 72 from Parsons to Route 32 (south of Canaan) is no where near the "Highway 72" that the signs or state maps indicate.  It has one paved lane in the middle with gravel on both sides for about 15 miles.  It's a fine road if you're "adventure touring", but if you have a group it's a problem because there is a bit of local traffic on it.  It created concerns for me as our group was together and with sharp/hidden curves, it made it risky to meet up with an unsuspecting motorist.  The road is definitely passable by motorcycle, but just wanted you to have a heads up as it was not what I was expecting based on maps and signs.

have a great time on the trip!!!!!

Sport Rider said:
You guys who have been riding the Canaan area probably already know this, but I'll mention it here just in case.  Route 72 from Parsons to Route 32 (south of Canaan) is no where near the "Highway 72" that the signs or state maps indicate.  It has one paved lane in the middle with gravel on both sides for about 15 miles.  It's a fine road if you're "adventure touring", but if you have a group it's a problem because there is a bit of local traffic on it.  It created concerns for me as our group was together and with sharp/hidden curves, it made it risky to meet up with an unsuspecting motorist.  The road is definitely passable by motorcycle, but just wanted you to have a heads up as it was not what I was expecting based on maps and signs.

+1 on Sport Rider's post.  I was on this road recently, and found large portions of the paved road covered in sand, so you need to be especially careful.  It is a very scenic ride, if your willing to ride slow, and enjoy the view.

hey i received a few emails about our block of rooms being full, i contacted lisa at canaan and she added 5 rooms to our block, these rooms will only be held untill fri. 21 so if your planning on this i would act on it now. looking foward to seeing everyone  thanks joe

Leaving for a 3-day to Hudson Valley, NY (aka Newburgh and West Point) this morning, back Sunday late afternoon, then a couple days, and down to Canaan for my first time to that event.

So far, 2 new firsts, Dog Days and now Canaan next week/end. And possibly the BRRRR if it doesn't sleet or now in November. And Dog Days will be a do-over for me in 2013.

:great:

hey i received a couple emails asking about routes in the area, for some reason when i am replying they are getting kicked back to me, so hopefully those who emailed me read this and know that i am not ignoring them, with that let me answer a couple questions that i have received, everyone usually pulls in sometime fri. we meet up fri evening and discuss whos going where and when, you will get plenty of ride or route suggestions and you can go your own way or hook up with a group and go riding, pretty informal weekend no pressures were all out to have a good time, someone asked about electro downloads of route suggestion anyone who knows me still knows i am a old school map guy  :-[  but hopefully someone who has some of these routes downloaded will post them for others to share, hope that helped answer some questions, but feel free to contact me if anything arises. whew looking foward to seeing everyone soon.  joe

I'm gonna have to miss this one, but I was just over that way this past w/e. Plus, I will be over "there" for the first two w/e in Oct. Throw in the Spring Fling, and that would have me gone for 3 w/e in October. Spousal unit will only tolerate but so much.... and I have customers waiting to get work done.

Hope to get by the Brazenhead and see the FOJ herd over the Columbus Day w/e. We'll be camping/riding based out of a place not too far from there. Well, "not too far" in WV is a relative term, but, it's all good riding.

Ya'll have fun, and be safe.. 

Just got back from my mc's 3-day trip up to West Point / Newburgh. Man, did going onto West Point bring back long forgotten memories! It even opened up one of my black hole memory losses slightly.

Looking forward to a few days rest, a payday mid-week, and then off to this event. Get 'er done while the weather isn't too cold.  :beerchug: :motonoises:

Hi , I'm new to the COG and was thinking about riding up to Canaan this weekend and maybe getting to meet some other members on here, probably wouldn't be Saturday for I have a birthday party to host. I'm thinking Friday mornor evening,  or Sunday, I know you guys will be riding and was just wondering what time would be best for socializing and saying hello. I don;t know if there is anything I have to do such as registor or anything.

thanks
John

GTR said:
Hi , I'm new to the COG and was thinking about riding up to Canaan this weekend and maybe getting to meet some other members on here, probably wouldn't be Saturday for I have a birthday party to host. I'm thinking Friday mornor evening,  or Sunday, I know you guys will be riding and was just wondering what time would be best for socializing and saying hello. I don;t know if there is anything I have to do such as registor or anything.

Socializing at most overnight COG events usually happens out in the parking lot or some other common area in the late afternoon as folks get back from riding.  Hopefully someone who has attended a past Canaan weekender will chime in.

This will be my first time at the Canaan Valley WV gypsy ride, but I'm looking forward to it. Leaving Friday morning, arriving shortly after noon.

This weekend has been designated an " free Alcohol weekend" so there will be no socializing allowed  :beerchug:

Last year we ended up on the balcony of the motel unit and then ventured into the bar for more adult beverages.

I called and the indoor Saltwater pool is open so bring your suit.

jason

john, as steve stated, best time to meet up with everyone would be early evening when most are back from riding, sundays usually everyones packing it up to head home, jason thanks for the heads up on swimming trunks, almost forgot about the pool, hey looking foward to meeting everyone soon  :beerchug:  see yinz fri.  take care joe

GTR said:
Thanks for the replies if I can make it it'll probably have to be Friday evening

If you come in Friday evening watch for the DEER! They are everywhere down in that neck of the woods!.
jason

Yes the deer are everwhere today. Just got here a couples hrs ago. Seen several riding in and 6 just linger ing in the yard atthe resort
:motonoises:

I recommend we change the venue next year. There wasn't much socializing in the parking lot because of being so far from the rooms.

The best venues are the ones where everyone parks along the building together.

And once again, I had to get a room far from the rest due to not being able to do steps easy, etc.

Just returned from another GREAT weekend at Canaan Valley.

Great weather Saturday and great this morning............................
Hit some drizzle close to home.

Saw some new faces, saw some old faces but they all had smiles on them.

The construction is coming along nicely! They have both new 5 story towers under roof and almost closed in. I'm sure the interior work will soon be under way. The view for the valley side rooms is going to be Fantastic! Can't wait!

Thanks to Joe for organizing the weekend and nice to see everyone.
Shame on those that didn't come, you missed a great weekend!

Jason

Had a really great time this weekend.  Good riding with Dan, Tim, JR, and Clayton.  The full face helmet was perfect for hiding the goofy smile on my face all weekend.  Thanks, Joe, for putting this together.  :)

Glen, Dan, Tim, and Clayton tuned this old man up a little, mentally at least, on a fantastic 6+ hour ride.

They are a tad too fast for me, now that I'm lowered, and my pegs are now nicely beveled on the bottom edge from trying to keep pace. 

I made it home to Hagerstown MD in 2-1/2 hours flat, and as I rode thats when I really got a grin on my face. Flying along 93 out of Keyser on the way to Cumberland, cruise control on, both hands in my lap, she is tracking (loaded down) like she is on rails. Not a hint of vibration. I really love my C14 !  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :-[

Excellent friends, weather, and roads. It doesn't get any better.

Joe, Thanks for pulling it together.

hey thanks to all that attended, it was great to meet up with both new and old friends, canaan is always a great time, hopefully they will continue to work with us when their construction is completed,  thanks again joe/michele

Glenn said:
Had a really great time this weekend.  Good riding with Dan, Tim, JR, and Clayton.  The full face helmet was perfect for hiding the goofy smile on my face all weekend.  Thanks, Joe, for putting this together.  :)

:eek: ...well, while you guys were grinning and screaming hell Yes in your helmets i was screaming all sorts of the opposite trying to keep pace!!!Needless to say these guys helped me reduce my chicken strips down to 1/8"...  ;D best ride ever on the C14!!

Big thanks to Joe for setting it up! and thanks for the autographs on my Kermit Chair everyone!!  :)

Had to peddle the C-10 hard to keep up, but it was fun! Thanks Joe for putting this together. Glenn, love the pics!

I did get to ride to Canaan on Sat. I wanted to go for a ride before the birthday party @ 3pm "that I was hosting" and didn't really know where I was gonna go yet so I hopped on the bike about 7;25 am and left Fort Ashby headed to Canaan Valley. I knew this would give me about a three hour ride and i wanted to be back by 11 am because I had a lot of work to do for the party. I left Keyser and hit Rt 50 on to 93, awesoome roads to ride in the early morn and hardly any traffic, I'm really loving the twisties on this Kawi. Anyway I came into Canaan and passed a silver C14 with 2 up going the opposite direction and I seen 3 bikes pull out up the road in front of me, they turned into a place on the left at a sign that said "open for breakfast", anyway I rode to the other end of the valley and turned around and headed back home. On the way back I stopped in Davis, they were having a Fall Fest, I got a sandwich and a coffee and hit the road again. On the way back coming across Mt Storm I was running pretty good, didn't seem fast though, I look and see an SUV coming the opposite direction and I see a arm out the window going up and down pointing to road, as I get closer I can see it's a police officer telling me to slow the ****  down. WhenI could see what it was I left off the throttle and look down at the speedo I was coming down past 75 mph, just doesn't feel like you're traveling at that speed. Sorry I didn't get to meet some of you guys Sat morning, maybe next time.  Anyway I had a really great ride saturday morning, and I'm loving this Kawi, can't get enough !!!!

Great pictures!  Looks like the leaves are turning up there already.  Looking forward to that making it's way south to us here in NC!

Glad everyone had a great time.