• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Canyon Cages

Konehead34

T rex also has crash bars ...front and rear. ....for the c14...

I think the newer versions simply installation and may make it possible to not have to take some plastic off to install. (Yes i have mc canyon cages and made the cut in the fairing to.make it easier to remove for servicing, leaving the cages on)

kirk6296

Training Wheels
Forum Subscriber

I think the newer versions simply installation and may make it possible to not have to take some plastic off to install. (Yes i have mc canyon cages and made the cut in the fairing to.make it easier to remove for servicing, leaving the cages on)
I found the T-Rex crash bars for the 2008. They are a different shape than the Canyon Cages, and appear to be up higher once installed, on the bike. Not sure if that's more, or less effective as a guard, but would think it's less so since the bike would travel further if it tipped over before the guard catches it, and the mirror could be in danger of making contact w/ the ground. Any idea on whether the T-Rex is more or less effective than the Canyon Cages on a 2008/09 model?

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
I bought my 2011 with a set of cages preinstalled by the prior owner. He told me then they were no longer available and if I ever sold them to not let them go cheap. Sorry, I have no plans to sell mine.

I have looked all over the internet and I cannot find a source for them I am sorry to say. It is my understanding there was a company working on a copy, licensing the design - or something to that effect, but it never happened. Thus the used market may be your only hope, or you could have someone fabricate them for you from an example. It would not be as cheap as new ones, but you could add your own customizations to the design.

Good luck

Konehead34

Wasnt Murph looking for a set to copy and market? That's Murph from murphs kits. Send them an email and ask him...

viffer_pilot

I offered Murph mine to get measurements before I installed them but he replied that he already had a set. To my knowledge though, he hasn't done anything with developing a version and starting to distribute them. I can attest to the effectiveness of the guards. About 2 weeks after installing them a lady pulled out in front of me and I didn't quite clear her. Bike tipped over at 0 MPH and, except for some minor scuffs on the mirror and the lower portion of the guard, there was not damage. I think they were a good investment.

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
I'm hoping for something soon cause I'm getting older & shorter, while the bike keeps getting bigger & heavier.

ursharkfuel

Wasnt Murph looking for a set to copy and market? That's Murph from murphs kits. Send them an email and ask him...
I believe that is who I heard was working on a knockoff set. I knew someone was talking about it, I just don't think it ever happened. As I recall, Murph said the cost to make them was difficult to recover and make a profit from the effort.

Maybe Murph needs some slave labor to help with the bottom-line. OK, that was a joke. Murph is an ethical guy, and that is why it would be difficult. To ethically build them, pay for materials and pay a fair wage to build them would be a tall order if you intend to make a profit. And that is the real challenge and why the original manufacturer probably gave up. Or at least that is my guess.

ursharkfuel

I'm hoping for something soon cause I'm getting older & shorter, while the bike keeps getting bigger & heavier.

I hear you brother. I'm surprised my feet still touch the ground! My legs seem to shrink with every passing year, but my shoes are more difficult to on each year when they should be getting closer. Oh I forgot, that obstacle just above my belt buckle keeps growing, thus making my bend to reach them all the more challenging.

Getting old just sucks!

GRR125

Does anyone have any experience comparing the T-Rex bars with the frame sliders (eg R&G slider-pucks that mount on the sides)? Or any experience with either t-Rex bars or sliders in an actual drop?
I too have an '08 that has not yet fallen over, and I'm worried that I'm tempting fate.

Konehead34

Are u asking about this type of tip over protection? I thought these were the r+g . I couldnt stand these, the placement just bothered the hell out of me and my short legs would bump them occasionally...

Attachments

• 20150219_124802.jpg
    20150219_124802.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 55

GRR125

No, I was referring to the engine guards - often called frame sliders - that mount mid-way up the finned area and require a hole to be cut in the fairing.

joliver

67 years old with a 28 inch inseam, yeah I get it. I got the cages when I first got my '15. Looks like I got them at the right time.

Tboner

Tricycle
Forum Subscriber
set of new chrome front canyon cages FS @ $395 + shipping from Denver CO fits 2010 up "2nd gen"

tjk230

I just installed the engine guards and luggage guards this week from T-Rex on my 2015 Connie. No cutting or removal of plastics was necessary. The included instructions were a little rough, but with help of some YouTube videos I got it done!