• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CATALYTIC CONVERTER REMOVAL - anyone done it? beneficial or waste of time?

cowie2

CATALYTIC CONVERTER REMOVAL -  anyone done it? beneficial or waste of time?

i have only talked to one guy who did it, and he said it was a definite improvement in perceived acceleration. Im looking for more opinions before i do it. I know there will definitely be less heat from the underside of the bike which is always good but what about power? the cat material is dense lead like material and i cannot see how it woulnt be restrictive.....

anyone here with a cat-less c14 header? thoughts? cheers  :motonoises:

Cowie,
BTDT, Was a small boost to power. Nothing like a full system though. In order to get real power increases with these newer bikes you need to retune them. Steve's flash will do that in spades without having to modify ANYTHING. Or you can go all out like I did and go full exhaust system and retune for BIG gains.
The newer designs of converters are not nearly as restrictive as the older 3 bed versions were, likewise the gains from removing them are much less.
Matt

Come down and ride Poison Ivy, You'll go for the gusto after a spin on her!

Hey Matt, thanks i would love to!

I do have steves decel flash, and just looking to get all i can out of it with what i have..... 

I decatted my 2010 this winter. I did it the right way by cutting the collectors apart and removing them. There are 2 cats per collector that are bonded to a tube that is welded to the collector. After getting it all apart I went to our local muffler shop and got apiece of pipe 2&1/2 `` dia. and cut to fit inside the collector and welded it all back together. No one can tell it was ever been apart. There were some good pictures on the forum a couple years ago that some member did it that way. What ever you do don`t take a rod of some type and try to mash them out. You will just make a big mess. Sorry Matt.  I have a K&N air filter and a 2 Bros. muffler and Steves decel flash. I have noticed no difference in driveabilty  after removing the cats . If any thing a little more rush from about 6 grand a up to red line. Yes its a little bit louder but not much.I waned it to sound like a super bike  with out spending a ton of money for a complete system. And by the color of the exhaust it appears to be rich enough . I use only 91 ethanol FREE fuel. :)

Any update on this? I have an '08 and I'm looking to cut out some heat. I don't care so much about the performance of the bike, but I'd love to know if removing the cat helped alleviate any of the heat coming up from below.

Has everyone lost the skill to do a simple search ? This has been covered multiple times. For the 08/09 you can save a little on the heat put wrapping the pipes does more. Flow Bench data showed a negligible difference before and after removing the cats.

Deepsea said:
Has everyone lost the skill to do a simple search ?
  Probably equals those who have lost the skill to extend a polite, constructive suggestion.  :great:

Insulation blanket, on the underside of the tank along with the thick neoprene inserts for blocking engine heat through the lower fairings sold on ebay for $50. Big difference on my '09...

Has everyone lost the skill to do a simple search ? This has been covered multiple times. For the 08/09 you can save a little on the heat put wrapping the pipes does more. Flow Bench data showed a negligible difference before and after removing the cats.
Hey some people like the discussion better. You search and let others discuss lol😃

In my opinion, the amount of labor you incur sawing the cat out of a stock header can be used purchasing a Gen 1 ZX14 header without cat or buy a used performance header off of E-Bay or Facebook Market Place. The best bang for the buck is the Gen 1 ZX14 header, flash, and sprint air-cleaner. You could see a 20-25 hp gain after tuning. Stock is 137 hp to the wheel in most cases. With the above set-up, 155-160 hp to the wheel..Sean

Insulation blanket, on the underside of the tank along with the thick neoprene inserts for blocking engine heat through the lower fairings sold on ebay for $50. Big difference on my '09...
I am curious how you found the blanket and inserts on eBay. I have looked at parts for the C14 many times and not seen what you describe. Any useful keywords to find it that you suggest?

An idea for rlievenski : I just completed service on my ZX14R. I bought a second heat shield and placed it on top of the original one. It is two layers instead of one now. It is the shield that sits on the frame underneath the fuel tank. I believe it cost me $ 45.00 dollars. It is a Kawasaki part number. I believe it is the same heat shield for the Concourse 14. As you layer clothing to stay warm, layering the heat shield should perform the same function, thus keeping the heat below the gas tank. I have not tested this concept but will update the Forum in the future.

An idea for rlievenski : I just completed service on my ZX14R. I bought a second heat shield and placed it on top of the original one. It is two layers instead of one now. It is the shield that sits on the frame underneath the fuel tank. I believe it cost me $ 45.00 dollars. It is a Kawasaki part number. I believe it is the same heat shield for the Concourse 14. As you layer clothing to stay warm, layering the heat shield should perform the same function, thus keeping the heat below the gas tank. I have not tested this concept but will update the Forum in the future.
Great idea! Thanks for sharing it.

In my opinion, the amount of labor you incur sawing the cat out of a stock header can be used purchasing a Gen 1 ZX14 header without cat or buy a used performance header off of E-Bay or Facebook Market Place. The best bang for the buck is the Gen 1 ZX14 header, flash, and sprint air-cleaner. You could see a 20-25 hp gain after tuning. Stock is 137 hp to the wheel in most cases. With the above set-up, 155-160 hp to the wheel..Sean
With most of that gain being the tune.

Black widow, easy,

I have a 2008 ZX14 with two brothers' cans. on my 2011

They did not make black Widow then, 12 years ago, when I changed my exhaust.

Last edited:
At 15K service I went with the Delkevic Full 4-1 Exhaust 18" Stainless Oval Muffler. If I had to do it again, I would go with the Carbon. The Stainless scratches very easily, so I had a crash course in stainless steel polishing.
I'm very happy with the Ivan flash and the Delkevic Full 4-1 Exhaust 18" Stainless.

Dimitrius
I am in the exact same position. Doing the 15K valve check as soon as she is out of winter storage. My ECU is currently at Ivan’s and my 4 into 1 just came in yesterday. Looking forward to another great season of riding! Stay safe out there. 😀

I am in the exact same position. Doing the 15K valve check as soon as she is out of winter storage. My ECU is currently at Ivan’s and my 4 into 1 just came in yesterday. Looking forward to another great season of riding! Stay safe out there. 😀
Sounds like you found a way to get the stove key out so you could remove your ecu👍

Rather than remove the Cat, some use the Delkevic set up. Some use the Black Widow set up.

The frugal use the early ZX-14 header.