• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

CFO has given me the go on an upgrade...

mcfly

It's been burning in the back of my mind for quite sometime, and now
that the CFO has her new kitchen, I've been given the green light on a
'new to me' modersickle.

:)

This means, because I have a one horse stable, the C-10 will have to go...  :(

So I've been eyeing up the BMW S1000XR for a while, after test riding it, and
I think a 2016 will be the new ride.  I've been going through the torture of
calling some dealerships, and don't miss that at all...  Hopefully I can land
one at a decent price.

I'd be interested in hearing other suggestions, given it meets (3) criteria:

1)  It has to be lighter than the C-10
2)  It needs to be a capable tourer/sport tourer.
3)  Price under $12k.

:beerchug:

Mcfly said:
...This means, because I have a one horse stable, the C-10 will have to go...  :(

I think a 2016 will be the new ride. 

3)  Price under $12k.

There's a good in-depth review over on Revzilla's Common Thread on the 2016 S1000XR.  https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2016-bmw-s1000xr-review

Another I would think about would be Yamaha's Tracer GT.  Similar in style and function.  Outfit it with larger panniers and it would be a capable sport-touring bike.  If you don't mind a chain...and both bikes have chains...it is an obvious competitor.  And I think you could get a new one for the price you're looking for.  Or drop back to the FJ-09.  Still, very capable.

Depending on your height, you might want to look at the BMW F800GT.  It just went out of production, but you can find some really nice used versions for anywheres from $5500-9000, depending on how much the previous owner wants to clear out their garage.  Some reviewer say it is underpowered.  On a rally with some Concours C14 riders and a BMW K1600GT rider, once I decided to go ahead and ride as fast as they were, I had no problem keeping up with them and they were riding hard and fast.  And a big plus for many of us F800GT owners is that it has a belt drive.  No chain to adjust or deal with the mess of lubing.

Contrary to popular opinion, you don't need 1000ccs or more to go fast.  The Michigan State Police tested the F800GT for their use and clocked it at 139 mph.

Oh...and the three bikes I mentioned...weigh about 470 lbs.  With one of those, you'll never worry about the slope on your parking spot.  ;)

Chris

Marty,guess what I would encourage you to look at. I'll be back in August if you want to do a check ride on one with the Shoodaben flash. It does make a difference. That Tracer GT is intriguing, though, and without the Beemer drama.

One thing about belt drive is dirt roads are a no go. No more dual sportin' for you.  :rotflmao: :beerchug:

Daboo said:
Mcfly said:
...This means, because I have a one horse stable, the C-10 will have to go...  :(

I think a 2016 will be the new ride. 

3)  Price under $12k.

There's a good in-depth review over on Revzilla's Common Thread on the 2016 S1000XR.  https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2016-bmw-s1000xr-review

Another I would think about would be Yamaha's Tracer GT.  Similar in style and function.  Outfit it with larger panniers and it would be a capable sport-touring bike.  If you don't mind a chain...and both bikes have chains...it is an obvious competitor.  And I think you could get a new one for the price you're looking for.  Or drop back to the FJ-09.  Still, very capable.

Depending on your height, you might want to look at the BMW F800GT.  It just went out of production, but you can find some really nice used versions for anywheres from $5500-9000, depending on how much the previous owner wants to clear out their garage.  Some reviewer say it is underpowered.  On a rally with some Concours C14 riders and a BMW K1600GT rider, once I decided to go ahead and ride as fast as they were, I had no problem keeping up with them and they were riding hard and fast.  And a big plus for many of us F800GT owners is that it has a belt drive.  No chain to adjust or deal with the mess of lubing.

Contrary to popular opinion, you don't need 1000ccs or more to go fast.  The Michigan State Police tested the F800GT for their use and clocked it at 139 mph.

Oh...and the three bikes I mentioned...weigh about 470 lbs.  With one of those, you'll never worry about the slope on your parking spot.  ;)

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for your input!  I'll definitely check out the Tracer GT.  Not a bad looking scoot, and Yamaha makes good bikes... that I know.
The 1 liter things isn't really very important to me.  I know a smaller engine would be enough for me.  The test ride on the BMW
had me hooked.  The bike was faaast, yes, but the overall package of ride and handling pretty much sealed the deal for me.
Having all the gadgets bolted on already is sauce for the goose. 

I rode a KTM Super Adventure a few months prior, and it's 'wow factor' was there, but not like the Beemer.  The BMW was
just that much better to me.  Guess I got used to the i4.  Tried a Honda VFR800F, and that was smooth as silk, but didn't feel 'sporty'. 
Honda seems to have dropped out of the sport touring segment.

The S1000XR I'm looking at has the side cases included (it's a 2016), and it's a Premium.  It does tip the scales at a
hefty 502 lbs (wet).... not too shabby for a 1L.  The bimmer trunk is too small, so I'll hafta work that out.

The past few weeks has been eye opening, while I search for Connie's replacement... 

SteveJ. said:
Marty,guess what I would encourage you to look at. I'll be back in August if you want to do a check ride on one with the Shoodaben flash. It does make a difference. That Tracer GT is intriguing, though, and without the Beemer drama.

One thing about belt drive is dirt roads are a no go. No more dual sportin' for you.  :rotflmao: :beerchug:

Yeah....  The S1000XR is chain drive, so iffin' I go that route, I'll be right behind ya... cussin' the whole way!
As for the Versys....  I wish they'd paint it in a color I like....  except white....  I know a guy with a white one,
and he'd never let me live it down.  ;)

When we went Over the Pond, the Yamaha MT-09 seemed to be the bike everyone liked.
So, maybe the Yamaha Tracer 900 GT would fit your requirements?

474 lbs...
{I think} Close to your cost...
3 cylinder, so lotsa torque..
12 valves so lotsa revs...
bags,
heated grips,
cruise control,
adjustable windshield,,,,
MSRP: $12,999,,,,,  {kinda at your target cost??}

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/tracer-900-gt

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2019-yamaha-tracer-900-gt-first-ride-review/

Ride safe, Ted

Congrats on the green light. Don’t forget that Kawasaki obviously makes great bikes and has this Moderncycle the 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT plus that has more technology than nearly every bike out there.  It’s being called Kawasaki’s premier Sports Tourer at this point, road only and not an adventure bike.  Many new features over the LT model including cruise control

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-kawasaki-versys-1000-se-lt-first-look/#page-2

http://www.theridesofar.com/2019/06/2019-kawasaki-versys-1000-se-lt-review/

Mcfly said:
It's been burning in the back of my mind for quite sometime, and now
that the CFO has her new kitchen, I've been given the green light on a
'new to me' modersickle.

Okay Marty I'm confused, whats this green light, permission thing you speak of? I thought we just bought what we want when we want.  :nananana:

4Bikes said:
Congrats on the green light. Don’t forget that Kawasaki obviously makes great bikes and has this Moderncycle the 2019 Versys 1000 SE LT plus that has more technology than nearly every bike out there.  It’s being called Kawasaki’s premier Sports Tourer at this point, road only and not an adventure bike.  Many new features over the LT model including cruise control

https://www.cycleworld.com/2019-kawasaki-versys-1000-se-lt-first-look/#page-2

http://www.theridesofar.com/2019/06/2019-kawasaki-versys-1000-se-lt-review/

I'm with 4Bikes on this one. I just spent 20 days/6,500 KM's riding a 2019 Versy 1000 SE in Europe. So I do have some first hand experience with it. I can honestly say I absolutely loved the bike, was the perfect bike to ride in the Alps. It was very smooth light & nimble, just very easy/fun to ride. Loaded with all the bells-n-whistles & everything worked as advertised. Never rode at night so I can't speak for the cornering lights. The seat was even pretty decent, started out getting some butt burn after 4 - 5 hours gradually got a little better everyday. By trips end I was good for about 7 hours, was never to bad. I think this would continue to improve.

The electronic suspension worked great, but I'm on the fence about it. Simply because I don't see the need for always needing to change the suspension. I tried all setting & sport mode worked best for me because I like a somewhat stiff suspension. I would still lean towards a quality aftermarket suspension. The quick shifter worked good, but I shift clutchless anyway so not a big difference for me.

The panniers, well they were just useless in my book. To small & the odd shape makes them even worse.

Overall a great bike.  :motonoises:

NOTE: 6,500 km = 4,039 miles.
          160 - 170 KM's = 99 - 106 mph

C'mon Cliff, tell us what ya really think about  the green light. 
    Remember; Yer wife is watchin' this..  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks for putting your stamp of approval on the Versys SE LT plus Cliff. I couldn’t find anyone saying bad things about it in reviews. Your thumbs up means a lot since you have so many miles on the C-14. I ordered one two days ago and will now sleep better at night because I never test rode one. I’m keeping my C-14 too.  :motonoises:

connie_rider said:
C'mon Cliff, tell us what ya really think about  the green light. 
    Remember; Yer wife is watchin' this..  :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

I ain't skeered Ted, you got her email ask her yourself. You've probably got her ph. # too.

4Bikes said:
Thanks for putting your stamp of approval on the Versys SE LT plus Cliff. I couldn’t find anyone saying bad things about it in reviews. Your thumbs up means a lot since you have so many miles on the C-14. I ordered one two days ago and will now sleep better at night because I never test rode one. I’m keeping my C-14 too.  :motonoises:

Not sure about about my stamp of approval, I am a beginner & don't ride much ya know.  :rotflmao:

I did enjoy the the bike very much & couldn't have ask for a better bike to spend 20 days straight riding. Even though comparable to my 1000 V-Strom it just felt lighter, smoother & more nimble. Nearly make a U turn in one lane. With the 17" front I would never take it off road in some of the places the Strom has been & probably shouldn't have been.

Power want knock your socks off, but was overall very smooth delivery with no buzziness in the bars. Never had it over 160 - 170 KM's (not sure what that is in MPH), but there was still plenty left.

I was very pleased with it. Congratulations!  :great:

connie_rider said:
KAWASAKI VERSYS 1000 SE LT
I think the MSRP is $17,999.?

Ride safe, Ted

Yeah, a bit over my budget....  The S1000XR I'm looking at is $11,700 out the door, with 6k miles.
I still appreciate the recommendation Cliff, and 4Bikes (good luck with the new ride!)
I'm getting a 'deal' on panniers... so total $12,500 with new panniers and a grille guard.  Lotta
bike... Premium edition...  all the bells and whistles installed... just ride it. 

Well... maybe a windsceen, and some bolt ons....  ;D  We ALL know how that goes!

All BMWs ride great. It's the cost of that 1st service that opens the eyes. Then replacement parts that aren't in stock. Hopefully your dealership will appreciate you as a valuable customer. My experience, unfortunately; 6 times drinking the Kool Aid, (I'm a slow learner) mirrored all the bad stories of long term ownership that you may have heard. Recently met some Beemer Boys on the road. They have had a BMW as their main ride for a decade. Both traded in their bikes on new ones before the warranty expired. New bike every 2 years meant all the latest bells and whistles also.

Diz said:
All BMWs ride great. It's the cost of that 1st service that opens the eyes. Then replacement parts that aren't in stock. Hopefully your dealership will appreciate you as a valuable customer. My experience, unfortunately; 6 times drinking the Kool Aid, (I'm a slow learner) mirrored all the bad stories of long term ownership that you may have heard. Recently met some Beemer Boys on the road. They have had a BMW as their main ride for a decade. Both traded in their bikes on new ones before the warranty expired. New bike every 2 years meant all the latest bells and whistles also.

I've heard both sides of the story.  Most people that keep their bikes are turning their own wrench to cut
stealership fees.  Iffin' something major goes, guess the man gets your $$$, but that works on any vehicle.
It's my first BMW, so I'll 'learn' soon enough.  I don't mind doing my own maintenance.... been doing it all
along with the C10....  Till I get bit in the @$$, I'll have as much fun as I can!  Thanks for the heads up!

Well... Down the rabbit hole I go.....  :eek:

MY%20S1000XR%201-M.jpg

MY%20S1000XR%204-M.jpg

MY%20S1000XR%202-M.jpg

This lovely bit of kit starts it's journey to me next week...    :motonoises:
Side cases are being installed (matched keys) and a
radiator/oil cooler guard is going on, then it's on a
pallet, and on the truck.

Marty, sharp looking scoot. Congratulations.

I especially like the color scheme. Imagine that.  :beerchug:

That indeed looks like a great and fun bike to ride.  :great: We can both learn to maintain chains again.  ::) 

has that got the new rotax engine, and let us know if its true it needs four separate code reader/interface tools to do complete maint. checks.

bajasam said:
has that got the new rotax engine, and let us know if its true it needs four separate code reader/interface tools to do complete maint. checks.

The GS-911 seems to be the 'goto' diagnostic tool for the XR "DIY" crowd.  I don't see
any chat about 4 different tools, but that doesn't mean BMW doesn't have at least 4....  :-[
I'll continue to read up... lots of learnin' to do.

ron203 said:
Beautiful!

She a looker!  :eek:

SteveJ. said:
Marty, sharp looking scoot. Congratulations.
I especially like the color scheme. Imagine that.  :beerchug:

Thanks Steve!
I thought you might.  The side cases are gray... not too sure 'bout that.
I may vinyl wrap them white... it'll protect them as well.  I seriously doubt
they're as stout as the C-10 panniers.

4Bikes said:
That indeed looks like a great and fun bike to ride.  :great: We can both learn to maintain chains again.  ::) 

Thanks!
Yea!  :??:  It's been a few DECADES for me with a chain... I hear they've improved a bit.
See if we can get a group buy goin' on Grunge brushes!!  ;D

Bud said:
Nice looking bike!  I bet it will be a ton of fun!  Congrats!

Thanks!  :motonoises:

Chain re-education was fun. I wound up putting a Cameleon Plus oiler on the Versys. It has temperature compensation and different settings for amount of oil. Quite clean as oilers go, using their fluid.

Also excellent follow up from customer service and a three year warranty.y two year and nine month unit started leaking a bit, a new one is on it's way to my house now.

Good kit. Amazon has them. Make sure you get the Plus version.

Have fun farkling.

On TDY near Black Hawk CO.

Great choice, and dont let the naysayers scare you. Ive had an 2015 S1000R since new as the hooligan companion to my C14. It has been trouble free and the service costs were the same as other brands. Absolutely amazing bike...your going to be blown away by your XR...congrats!

rogracer said:
Great choice, and dont let the naysayers scare you. Ive had an 2015 S1000R since new as the hooligan companion to my C14. It has been trouble free and the service costs were the same as other brands. Absolutely amazing bike...your going to be blown away by your XR...congrats!

Thanks rogracer.  No matter what you get, there will be someone with a horrific story to share.
When I got my C-10, you can imagine how I felt about hydrolock....  ack! 

I've been purveying the XR forums, and MOST owners have no troubles, so
I'll do my basic maintenance, get a service manual and a GS-911, and go
to the dealer when I have to.  :beerchug:

Marty, you're really gonna like riding a bike with suspension that actually works, especially up in the mountains. Decent suspension makes cornering sooooo much more enjoyable and easy.

On TDY near Granby CO

Very nice Marty!!!
Are you going to be able to ride OK with so much less ballast under you? You're going to get blown around all over the road - you need to pack so lead in the bags.

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing it.

Jorge said:
Very nice Marty!!!
Are you going to be able to ride OK with so much less ballast under you? You're going to get blown around all over the road - you need to pack so lead in the bags.

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing it.

I’ll get by those trucks much faster. :motonoises:

Very nice ride Marty...congratulations!  This is your version of 'Back to the Future'. :great: :motonoises:

Shawn said:
Very nice ride Marty...congratulations!  This is your version of 'Back to the Future'. :great: :motonoises:

Grasshopper said:
Marty, congrats on the new bike! It's a great looking bike!  :great:

Thanks guys.

As Steve J. said, "Let the farkeling begin!"

Bar buzz WILL need attention.  So bar end weights go on, engine crash cage, some form of aux lighting, and brake lighting
a touring screen, and some type of tail bag/trunk.... and some grip guards..... AND a 34mm socket.
I have a GPS for it, a battery tender, and some other 'carry over items' from the Connie...

Just a month to get it ready for RWTW.  I'll save a little in the kitty for tires.  A ride up to GA will be a good shake down!

Spent about an hour over the last week watching reviews. Ticks a lot of boxes! Please come back with a review after some time. Many miles with smiles!  :great:

Nice XR, congrats!

I test rode one just recently and really liked it. The performance is incredible and I found twisting the throttle almost irresistible. Handling is very impressive as well. In the end I bought a leftover 2018 GS, but that XR was really talking dirty to me. I owned a Verysys 1K...nice bike, but nowhere near as thrilling, capable or fun to ride as the XR. Moreover, the demo XR I was considering was  under $16K, so for that kind of money I didn't even consider the new LTSE.

Not sure when the XR went to rubber mounts on the bars, but I know the kit can be retrofitted. It's funny, inline 4 buzz really irritates me for some reason, so I was really concerned and hyper aware of that when I rode the XR, but to my surprise it was a non issue.

I know of several XR owners out here that really love their bikes. A couple of them iron butt their XR's, and have piled up a lot of miles on them and would run out and buy another one. 

Grip puppies might help. Enjoy!! 

Jacquelyn said:
Nice XR, congrats!

I test rode one just recently and really liked it. The performance is incredible and I found twisting the throttle almost irresistible. Handling is very impressive as well. In the end I bought a leftover 2018 GS, but that XR was really talking dirty to me. I owned a Verysys 1K...nice bike, but nowhere near as thrilling, capable or fun to ride as the XR. Moreover, the demo XR I was considering was  under $16K, so for that kind of money I didn't even consider the new LTSE.

Not sure when the XR went to rubber mounts on the bars, but I know the kit can be retrofitted. It's funny, inline 4 buzz really irritates me for some reason, so I was really concerned and hyper aware of that when I rode the XR, but to my surprise it was a non issue.

I know of several XR owners out here that really love their bikes. A couple of them iron butt their XR's, and have piled up a lot of miles on them and would run out and buy another one. 

Grip puppies might help. Enjoy!! 

I hear ya about the buzz...  The issue is at ~5-6k rpm, which is around highway cruising speed (70mph).
It's hit or miss, 2016 on, some buzz some don't. ??  The C10 buzzed at about 4-4.5k, but with bar ends was
very livable.  Cruise control will help also.

Bar ends or handlebar mount bushes are both available. 

The XR I rode at a Motorrad event (2018) was tested back to back with 1250GS, and though overall
comfort the GS beat the XR, the grin factor was all XR.

The big deal on the bikes is the 18K service, $11-1800.  Owners say you do all but the valve check and steering
stem and you can get out much less $5-900.  I'll do all basic service myself. It's out of warranty, so nothing
to lose by doing it myself.

The bike gets loaded on the truck today to come to home.  :)

mr t said:
Mcfly said:
mr t said:
  Best of luck with the new bike Marty!

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Thanks Tom!  Seeya when it cold up there!  :beerchug:
[Marty- Hope to see you and the new acquisition at RWTW.
            Tom
/quote]
Right now the bike is touring Texas.... So I'd like to
see my new acquistion too!  I'm hopin' I can get 'er
ready to go for the Wolf... Can't think of a better place
to test 'er out. 

Marty here is my single-R...the close sister to your XR  :beerchug:

Attachments

• S1000R_resized.JPG
    S1000R_resized.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 118
I can really appreciate the color scheme!  :)

MY%20S1000XR%201-M.jpg

The trucking company should deliver my new ride this week,
though the tracking seems to have it pinballing between Atlanta and Orlando. ::)

Here you go...  This top case is a China box, but does the job, the panniers are BMW.

IMG_0831-M.jpg

IMG_0828-M.jpg