• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Circuit of the Americas bike racing in Austin 4/2022

mytmatt

Hey guys. I've learned that COTA (Circuit of the Americas) is holding a MotoGP bike racing event in Austin (at the F1 track, yesssss) 4/8 through 4/10 of 2022. That's Friday-Sunday. I would definitely like to ride over there for it, and wanted to get an idea if there are any others here in Houston (or elsewhere, doesn't matter) that would like to go. I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe leave early Saturday, watch races til we can't take anymore or they quit, then a nice dinner, maybe a few drinks, hotel stay. It will be a guys trip for me as my lady doesn't like to ride that far and isn't interested in motorcycle racing. Check it out:

MotoGP 2022 | Circuit of The Americas

Anyone interested? Plenty of lead time at this point. Might be nice to get seats/hotel rooms together.

Whaddya think?

Matt

Last edited:
Hey guys. I've learned that COTA (Circuit of the Americas) is holding a MotoGP bike racing event in Austin (at the F1 track, yesssss) 4/8 through 4/10 of 2022. That's Friday-Sunday. I would definitely like to ride over there for it, and wanted to get an idea if there are any others here in Houston (or elsewhere, doesn't matter) that would like to go. I'm just thinking out loud here, but maybe leave early Saturday, watch races til we can't take anymore or they quit, then a nice dinner, maybe a few drinks, hotel stay. It will be a guys trip for me as my lady doesn't like to ride that far and isn't interested in motorcycle racing. Check it out:

MotoGP 2022 | Circuit of The Americas

Anyone interested? Plenty of lead time at this point. Might be nice to get seats/hotel rooms together.

Whaddya think?

Matt
I'm working on getting out there as well. talking to a buddy of mine at work who wants to go. Never been to mine live.... coming from the albuquerque, nm area

I'm working on getting out there as well. talking to a buddy of mine at work who wants to go. Never been to mine live.... coming from the albuquerque, nm area
Rio Rancho! I lived there many moons ago...I is a Cibola High School graduate LOL! Maybe we'll see you at the races

Rio Rancho! I lived there many moons ago...I is a Cibola High School graduate LOL! Maybe we'll see you at the races
Small world :) my kids all left for Austin years ago. I would go but y’all don’t have any mountains :). I love riding big bend though hoping to go next year again. Had surgery a month ago and had to sit that one out

I set up a COG weekend at COTA the first MotoGP year. We had a few show up. We enjoyed a meal out and hanging out at the track some. I think I can't do it this year.
Plan a little and just do it.

My ride on Saturday was up to The Oasis in Austin, after which we rode FM-2769 / Lime Creek Rd around Lake Travis. It’s a pretty fun little run with lots of cutbacks and 30 degree curves at the bottom of draws or spurs. Worth the time if you’re up that way!5079C87F-9D0D-4081-8F74-E21226E68DAA.jpeg

Those roads are my home range. I can take them to work, when I work. I mainly use that area just to enjoy a quick tune up ride. I live about 3 miles from your picture. I think I found that if you take Lime Creek, 2769 and Oasis bluff up past the resturaunt it is about 268 curves in 14 miles. Close to the 318 in 11 miles of the famous Dragon.

Those roads are my home range. I can take them to work, when I work. I mainly use that area just to enjoy a quick tune up ride. I live about 3 miles from your picture. I think I found that if you take Lime Creek, 2769 and Oasis bluff up past the resturaunt it is about 268 curves in 14 miles. Close to the 318 in 11 miles of the famous Dragon.

That was exactly our run. Light traffic, only two driveways with gravel out into the lane, amenable weather, and a Shell station at the end. A fantastic little run right before the ride home where we arrived just as the sun was setting.

Overall a very good day! Here’s a Relive vid from one of my regular riding amigos…

Like I said, we took it easy as it was the first time we were seeing this stretch of road, and it was still cold enough to give pause about pushing hard with cool road surface and unknown performance of our tires (especially the Road Masters on those HDs behind me).

Hey! I hate big white suvs also. Did you edit a questionable pass? :) Sorry about the traffic. It is much better during a weekday when you are all alone and know the road well. The roads are a draw for all kinds of bad drivers on a nice weekend.

Hey! I hate big white suvs also. Did you edit a questionable pass? :) Sorry about the traffic. It is much better during a weekday when you are all alone and know the road well. The roads are a draw for all kinds of bad drivers on a nice weekend.

Actually there wasn't any edit because I didn't pass anyone up there. I think there was just a hiccup in the merge of the two files spliced together by VideoPad. There's a max file size limit on the GoPro 8 Black of 11.7GB, which then needs to be joined with subsequent auto-spawned files to get the full experience. I just dropped some free sound files into the Audio 2 track and reduced the original video volume of the motor and wind.

Only saw one "exuberant" driver and one rider who looked like he was either local or just intent on swapping paint with an oncoming car in one of the curves. But I agree, we could have moved along a bit more briskly if there weren't so many Sunday drivers. LOL On our next run up that way we'll hopefully have a warmer tarmac and a better feel for those curves that had pits and poor traction. I've been studying this and realized that I'm only seeing it from the northbound perspective. When we come up again, maybe on the first pass we'll do a southbound pass at a decent pace to get that recorded too. When we head back north we can pick up the pace as we'll all be familiar enough with it that I don't have to wait for the guys who are trailing.

If you get a chance, check out the track. Its pretty bad ass! I wish there was something similar that could be rented. Be nice to take Betty out and really let 'er rip
There is a way to ride the track but I'm unsure about bike rental.
Ride Smart; I tried really hard to arrange a class for COGgers to go to but couldn't find enough interest.
Can sign up individually at whichever track you choose.

Small world :) my kids all left for Austin years ago. I would go but y’all don’t have any mountains :). I love riding big bend though hoping to go next year again. Had surgery a month ago and had to sit that one out
Hi Kuzin. Are you healed yet? Goin' to the National?

Ride safe, Kuzin Ted

Yes, Sir. will drag the 29 footer and the bike in the truck bed. staying at the rv park. I am ready and excited to go there.
the wife quit her job so no hassle with her trying to get time off..

Ted