• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clutch Goes Soft After 20 Miles or So

mikejudge62702

Hi all, 2009 Concours 14 ABS. My clutch starts out fine, then after about 20 miles or so starts getting soft and then nothing. I'm afraid to take it any distance until I figure out the issue. Fluid was changed recently, thinking there's air in the system? Any thoughts as to where to start looking? Thanks for your help.

i had the similar issue recently, even after replacing / bleeding the clutch lines I still had that issue. replaced the diaphragm in the reservoir and not had that issue since.

i had the similar issue recently, even after replacing / bleeding the clutch lines I still had that issue. replaced the diaphragm in the reservoir and not had that issue since.
I guess I don't understand the function of the diaphragm. What does replacing the diaphragm do that keeps it from going soft?

So I bled the clutch master with my Mityvac, and then the slave. Bam! Good clutch. Looks like it might have been air and old fluid. But I'm with Bud...what does the diaphragm actually do? Thanks!

I guess I don't understand the function of the diaphragm. What does replacing the diaphragm do that keeps it from going soft?
i don't know for sure, followed the advice of a motorcycle mechanic who suggested to always replace it when replacing the fluids. looking at the diaphragm , I figured it helps to ensure a tight seal, so preventing air leaks. maybe someone else on the forum may know more but again, it wasn't until i replaced that little rubber piece in the reservoir that i stopped getting air into the lines. i think about 40.00 so not that cheap, there are 2 the same for front brake and clutch and a different (round) for the rear brake reservoir. but doing this every 2 years or so, not that big of a deal.

i don't know for sure, followed the advice of a motorcycle mechanic who suggested to always replace it when replacing the fluids. looking at the diaphragm , I figured it helps to ensure a tight seal, so preventing air leaks. maybe someone else on the forum may know more but again, it wasn't until i replaced that little rubber piece in the reservoir that i stopped getting air into the lines. i think about 40.00 so not that cheap, there are 2 the same for front brake and clutch and a different (round) for the rear brake reservoir. but doing this every 2 years or so, not that big of a deal.
My dealer has one for $18; I'll pick it up just to have on hand. Thanks for your input.