• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Clutch Replacement

constmngr

Training Wheels
My 08 is at 16000 miles now and i was wondering when i should consider replacing the clutch. I dont ride real hard most of the time.  Can you guys with high milage tell me when you did your replacement?

Thanks

I have yet to wear out a clutch on a modern bike. I traded in a bike a couple years ago with over 135K miles on it and the original clutch was still working just fine. I also know a guy with over 300K miles on a Wing with the original clutch in it.

I suspect most folks will get tired of the bike and sell or trade it long before the clutch plates are worn out.

I wore the clutch out of my VTX in like 15k miles, and I wasn't riding it hard....  and a LOT LOT LOT of other VTX guys had problems with that clutch as well.

But year, it's the only clutch I've ever replaced.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
I have yet to wear out a clutch on a modern bike. I traded in a bike a couple years ago with over 135K miles on it and the original clutch was still working just fine. I also know a guy with over 300K miles on a Wing with the original clutch in it.

I suspect most folks will get tired of the bike and sell or trade it long before the clutch plates are worn out.

Me too! Although I normally don't keep bikes into the hundreds of thousands. I'm one of the people that want something newer before I start worring about stuff like this. So I'm one of the under the 100K guys before a new bike comes along!