• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

clutch switch

kawani

Training Wheels
well apparently between not paying attention and the lack of lok tight on a screw cost me I got up for work a couple of days ago stumbled out to the bike with sleep still in my eye's and as I was getting ready to put my helmet on I reached up turned on the switch and hit the starter button my bike sprung to life and headed for the work bench at the back of my garage  I dropped the stuff in my hand and placed my self to the side of the bike trying to grab for the clutch, the bike fell over on me knocked me over and left me swearing on my butt with my beloved laying on top of me. I squirmed out from under the bike and finally go her back on the side stand and started investigating why it started if it wasn't in neutral as I had not had an issue with any of the switches before, apparently the screw to the clutch switch had backed out just enough to allow the tit on the switch to pass by the clutch lever so lesson learned with a generous helping of lok  tight and a tight screw problem fixed fortunetly other than a bruised ego me and my girl averted disaster but I have to say I now park the bike in the garage in neutral<LOL>
Todd

Wow, that sucks. I take it that it's OK now? I would have thought that it would have done the oposite. Oh well.

I am not sure that at least for the moments the bike is sitting on top of me that I would consider it my beloved.  I thought you had a spouse on the back at first when you said that.  If I am going to start it when not sitting on the bike I usually still pull the clutch in and hold the front brake.  I guess it's habit.  No doubt from having hit the starter when in first in my past somewhere.

I have always been reluctant to park her in neutral for fear of "rolling of the side stand".  I will occasionally do this when on level concrete, seldom on gravel, and never on a down hill slope.
Glad you and your beloved escape serious damage.

the only place I actually park mine in neutral is my garage for that very reason, also I have to say I check what the heck I am doing now days a lot more not nearly as complacent it just shows you  how easy it is for one of those safety switches to fail and really there is no way to know just looking

MAN What a story. That would have certainly tripped me right out!

I suppose with my crooked gravel drive and a burried brick to set my stand on I am fortunate in that. I NORMALLY do start up by 1) key in and on to grn light. 2) while standing next to it I tap gear to neutral watching for light. 3) start, then finish gear up as He is warming up in neutral. When in odd areas I usually gear up all but gloves and glasses (sitting on tank). sit on bike, neutral, start then finish glasses, power up headset/phone, gloves then out..

Definately gives me something else to check on though. So the switch is on the bars by the lever then I gather form your note. Thanks!

Unusual issue for sure. But we teach every student to place both hands on the controls then pull in the clutch everytime before they start the bike. Perhaps this will become your future method.

Todd, CDA0340
Wow - that's a first!

In the MSF course they teach FINE-C.  Fuel, Ignition, Neutral, Engine, Choke;  then crank her up.
Sounds like something I would do when I cut corners!
Glad you are ok.