• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COG members assist injured Motorcyclist

2andblue

COG Executive Director
I was extra proud to be riding today with @KiowaEagle and two other fellow (NON-COG) riders we know and I want to highlight and thank them for assisting to respond to a seriously injured motorcyclist (not related to our group) in need of emergency services.

Sitting at a rural intersection we witnessed a motorcycle taking a slightly off camber corner, the rear tire slid from underneath the motorcycle and the rider trying to recover high-sided badly and was launched onto the road. Other vehicle drivers that pulled over were instructed to and called 911 while KiowaEagle and our two other fellow riders immediately took on traffic control. I stayed with the patient ensuring his airway was unobstructed, was breathing and provided some comments for dispatch.

After the paramedics arrived and we mounted our machines we all looked at each other, words didn't need to be said, this was a stark reminder of the risks to our sport.
Last note: Without sharing details - this rider will never be the same. We are free to make our own choices, however, be aware of the limitations of some safety gear we may choose. Half helmets (aka: open face, skull cap, beanie helmets) are minimally protective and do nothing for your cheeks, chin, jawbone, teeth, nose - you are completely exposed and have zero protection.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Last note: Without sharing details - this rider will never be the same. We are free to make our own choices, however, be aware of the limitations of some safety gear we may choose. Half helmets (aka: open face, skull cap, beanie helmets) are minimally protective and do nothing for your cheeks, chin, jawbone, teeth, nose - you are completely exposed and have zero protection.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
Thank you for your direct, yet shielding, way of getting that message across.

There are definite risks with our sport; however, some research on the best gear and safe habits/training (via MSF) give us the best chance. Always tough to hear of a riding brother in pain and I pray for the best possible outcome. I always figure that the investment in a top rated full face helmet, armored leathers, solid riding boots, and armored gloves is much cheaper than the potential injuries suffered without the gear. The one that really befuddles me are bikes parked at a bar. Drinking and riding exponentially increases risks. Not trying to preach, yet I wish a safe riding season for ALL riders.

Half helmets (aka: open face, skull cap, beanie helmets) are minimally protective and do nothing for your cheeks, chin, jawbone, teeth, nose - you are completely exposed and have zero protection.
Everyone has to make their own decision, but an informed decision is best IMO.

I read a while ago that a significant % of head injuries are to the face and jaw which suggests that anything less than a full face offers no protection for that.

I doesn't take much imagination as to the severity some of those injuries might entail.

There are definite risks with our sport; however, some research on the best gear and safe habits/training (via MSF) give us the best chance. Always tough to hear of a riding brother in pain and I pray for the best possible outcome. I always figure that the investment in a top rated full face helmet, armored leathers, solid riding boots, and armored gloves is much cheaper than the potential injuries suffered without the gear. The one that really befuddles me are bikes parked at a bar. Drinking and riding exponentially increases risks. Not trying to preach, yet I wish a safe riding season for ALL riders.
WAAY too much of that here at the beach... flat land and hot weather give too many riders a false confidence, add liquor to that, tourism traffic with casual turn signaling and....yea not good.

Kudos Wayne...

FYI - different representations of this data circulate the web. I show this image in my MSF classes after asking the students to place ther hand where they feel the statistially hight head impact area is.

1648994940765.png

Interesting data, seems the right-hand side takes slightly more hits than left. Don't the Germans ride on the opposite side of the road? might explain that.

A full face brain bucket will catch or drag hard enough in crash to snap your neck. Every HD/Cruiser rider knows that! That is why, along with the German study you posted, the best head protection (if you have to have any at all) is a light plastic novelty unit that looks like a German WWII soldiers.

You may think I am being sarcastic, well yes I am but I have had this told to me by more than one person. But to each, their own choice.

A full face brain bucket will catch or drag hard enough in crash to snap your neck. Every HD/Cruiser rider knows that! That is why, along with the German study you posted, the best head protection (if you have to have any at all) is a light plastic novelty unit that looks like a German WWII soldiers.

You may think I am being sarcastic, well yes I am but I have had this told to me by more than one person. But to each, their own choice.
Yup the misperceptions or excuses to not wear proper gear or be part of the ‘in’ crowd are unreal.. I am happy to stay with the ‘out’ crowd.

Interesting data, seems the right-hand side takes slightly more hits than left. Don't the Germans ride on the opposite side of the road? might explain that.

IMHO the deviation of left/right data is negligible.... Especially when considering the significance of the face/chin impact zones with respect to all other impact zones.

Glad you stopped and helped, it's what needed done and we all know what that is. Sobering after the fact but learn from others and make your decisions, sad it is like this but this is life.

It was definitely a scary situation. This poor guy quite literally landed on his face. I hope we find out some day how he made out but he being a stranger I doubt we'll ever hear. I'm just glad he survived, when it first happened I had my doubts.

If it wasn’t hotter than Hades down here in TX I’d opt for the full face as well. There are so many more options and they’re generally a few decibels quieter. But, due to the heat and humidity I’ve gone with the Neotec II modular from Shoei. Quieter than the HJC i90 and a LOT more comfortable.

And if we’re being really honest about the risks we’d all be riding around with the airbag inflatable jackets/pants/jock straps… and maybe neck brace exoskeletons like Formula 1 drivers.

But in all seriousness, it comes down to wits in 97.75% of the cases. You’re either paying attention, making good choices, and riding within your limits or you’re not. The other odd amount is sheer bad luck with mindless cagers, random flying objects, or unexpected road condition changes (including tire blowouts).

He was definitely going too fast for the curve. He may have been able to pull it out in the opposing lane but there was traffic coming.
My wife and I went back to Riverton Restaurant yesterday - the accident corner is a significantly off camber.

The type of machine he was riding is vulnerable to these type corners and especially with any speed; hard parts scrape and rear tire unloads.

...... Don't the Germans ride on the opposite side of the road? might explain that.
Germany / all of Europe drives on the right side.
Probably immaterial to the real point of the discussion.....but.... The U.K. is considered geographically part of Europe despite Brexit.

left side driving countries

The interesting thing is that, despite most of the automobiles imported into the U.S Virgin Islands having the driver seated on the left of the car, it remains the only U.S. administered area that drives on the left.
----------------------------------
Anyway, back on topic..sorta,...tip of the hat and a well done to those taking care of the downed rider and taking care of the traffic situation.

Half helmets (aka: open face, skull cap, beanie helmets) are minimally protective and do nothing for your cheeks, chin, jawbone, teeth, nose - you are completely exposed and have zero protection.

I know many who like a modular helmet and are willing to risk the safety trade offs of those vs. full face helmets but which ones are better? I hope someone has found some definitive U.S. studies to share, however I ran across this British rating system which impacts the helmet 30 times and gives the percentage of times that the modular helmet's chin bar unlatched. The site refers to modular helmets as "system" helmets. It's important to note that when looking at the site, the star rating system is independent of the latch performance.
The star rating system is based on impact testing only, so there are some 5 star helmets that had poor latch performance such as the Shark Evoline 3 where it remained latched on only 57% of the impacts.

Last edited:
(Probably immaterial to the real point of the discussion.....but.... The U.K. is considered geographically part of Europe despite Brexit)
Yep.

Probably immaterial to the real point of the discussion.....but.... The U.K. is considered geographically part of Europe despite Brexit.

left side driving countries

The interesting thing is that, despite most of the automobiles imported into the U.S Virgin Islands having the driver seated on the left of the car, it remains the only U.S. administered area that drives on the left.
----------------------------------
Anyway, back on topic..sorta,...tip of the hat and a well done to those taking care of the downed rider and taking care of the traffic situation.

I know many who like a modular helmet and are willing to risk the safety trade offs of those vs. full face helmets but which ones are better? I hope someone has found some definitive U.S. studies to share, however I ran across this British rating system which impacts the helmet 30 times and gives the percentage of times that the modular helmet's chin bar unlatched. The site refers to modular helmets as "system" helmets. It's important to note that when looking at the site, the star rating system is independent of the latch performance.
The star rating system is based on impact testing only, so there are some 5 star helmets that had poor latch performance such as the Shark Evoline 3 where it remained latched on only 57% of the impacts.
Shocked to see the Neotec II unlatched 9 of 30 strikes.

Our RPHA’s scored substantially higher lock %, still though unlatched 2 of 30 strikes.

This has been an enlightening thread.

Wayne, Carol & Blue