• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COG NE Fall Meet Up, Sept 28-Oct 1, Lake George NY

terrynyc

It's been a hot minute but it's time for the COGgers to storm the backroads of the Adirondacks. This is a no frills affair with no registration fees (cheap!). HQ will be the Lake George Motel Montreal yet again. Route suggestions can be found in the COG library accessible from the registration page reached via the event calendar. Come on out for some great riding and COG fellowship. Be there, be square!

Glad to see some dates appear for this event. While in my mind I’d really like to get back up there again, I’m realistically trying to decide if I still have the stamina, determination, true desire, and gumption to make the trip.

I really want to attend this event, but bad luck spelled out in the below is what happened to me the last time I attended. This IS NOT intended to be any reflection on the event itself or discourage anyone else from attending. I’m just relating why I’m having a rough time trying to decide whether I, personally, want to point my bike in that direction come this September.

Last time I was at LG was for the 2013 NE Fall Foliage Rally. A really fun event, as all of the previous 7-8 (?) I attended up the extremes of the NE Area were. Coming home this time, not so much. My (brand new) rear Avon Azaro decided to start coming apart near Scranton, PA, deflated, and left me stranded late this Sunday afternoon. I had string plugs (which were totally useless in this situation), no patches, and found no dealers open. Also, no luck locating a one-way rental van either. Fortunately, a good friend and local Richmond COG member was home and made the 350-mile trip up (with trailer) sacrificing his time to get me out of this jam. In the years since, I’ve made other lengthy trips, but for some reason this one is still in the back of my mind and haunts me to this day.

Thank you for putting this together again, but gonna have to mull this one over a bit. :unsure:

FWIW - I had a previous Avon start to fail in exactly the same manner, but it stayed inflated.

Last edited:
May possibly come. What's the plan? Arrive Thursday, ride Friday and Saturday, leave Sunday? Just trying to see if I can make it work

May possibly come. What's the plan? Arrive Thursday, ride Friday and Saturday, leave Sunday? Just trying to see if I can make it work

Yep - you nailed it, plus evening bench racing and frivolity in the parking lot. Everyone is on their own for meals. It's a fun time an great riding. Come meet fellow members.

Will there be fireworks Saturday night again? That has been a highlight of our run at the Motel Montreal.

Will there be fireworks Saturday night again? That has been a highlight of our run at the Motel Montreal.

Hey Bob... maybe not, but who knows.

2023 Fireworks in the Village​

Summer fireworks in the Village of Lake George start on July 4, and then follow every Thursday evening.
The first Thursday night fireworks for 2023 began on July 13 and continue every Thursday evening (weather permitting) through August 31.

Hey folks, anyone still thinking about signing up, I just got off the phone with the hotel making my reservation (8/18) and they are still honoring the rates of $70 for a single queen bed and $80 for two double beds according to the person I spoke with.

Looking forward to it.

Hey folks, anyone still thinking about signing up, I just got off the phone with the hotel making my reservation (8/18) and they are still honoring the rates of $70 for a single queen bed and $80 for two double beds according to the person I spoke with.

Looking forward to it.
Awesome! Motel Montreal has always been accommodating!(y)

Get a move on if you want to go but haven't signed up or made room reservations. Someone posted online that the motel still honored the discounted price after the deadline - I don't know how long that will last. Keep in mind that the weekend of our event is the huge Warrensburg Garage Sale, and available rooms may disappear quickly.

For all of us weather prognosticators, LG is looking pretty fine this week thru next week-end. ☀️🌤️☀️

Day time temps is the high 60’s/low 70’s and no wet stuff. Come on up (or down or across) to Lake George for the Fall Meet Up!

AHHHH! You jinxed us. LOL...

Yeh, I get a rain free travel day on Wednesday, then rain Thursday, Friday, and Saturday down here. Sunday will be nice for the ride home.

AHHHH! You jinxed us. LOL...

Yeh, I get a rain free travel day on Wednesday, then rain Thursday, Friday, and Saturday down here. Sunday will be nice for the ride home.

But Wayne, you won’t be “down there”, you’ll be up here so no worries. ;)

Safe travels. See you Thur.

9/26/2023 ROUTE UPDATE: Please note that Tracy Road is closed due to construction projects installing new culverts. Initial reports estimated completion by 9/28, but at last check the road is still closed. This affects 2-3 of the listed sample routes. Ensign Pond Road is an alternate route to bypass Tracy Road. Review the routes you plan to use and make adjustments before loading to your GPS.

This is my first official “meet up”. I was wondering what is the general time everyone starts in the morning? I know this is technically a “ride your own route” type of deal, but I would like to tag along with a few other riders if possible.

Thanks.

Everyone enjoy a fun ride to Lake George - see you there.
Enjoyed my short two days with old friends. Kevin Martin was a leader on one ride and did an excellent job. Thanks to Terry, Steve, and others who assisted on a great weekend.
Heading to New Hampshire tomorrow for 50th class reunion.
Ride safe keep it upright!
Devil Dog, Rick from RI!

It was a great weekend. Enjoyed seeing everyone.
Departed around 9a this morning. Arrived home ~3:15p after an adventurous backroads trip and lunch stop in Greenwich NY.

Think I was the last one to leave after breakfast sunday,i wasnt planning to make it home especially taking backroads but i did. Thanks Terry, Steve and all who help make this event happend. It was great to see everyone. :)

On Saturday 9/30, I led a modified Vermont Notch Hop ride, taking Al and Aaron across the App Gap (VT RT 17) and past Mad River Glen for their first time. The ascent and descent of the mountain have tight, technical turns, and we took the opportunity to enjoy a spirited run to the summit.

1696332904221.png

We ascended on the western side of the mountain and stopped at the summit Appalachian Trailhead parking lot for a short break and mandatory photo op. The fall colors were just beginning to show in Vermont.

IMG_4276.jpg

IMG_4280.jpg

After descending to the east, we ended up on the famous VT Route 100, where we headed south., stopping at the Warren Store for a terrific lunch. We continued south to Rochester VT and headed west on Brandon Mountain Road to enjoy the high speed sweepers, continuing on RT 73 to the shore of Lake Champlain, taking the Fort Ticonderoga Ferry across to NY... and then south back to Lake George Village.

IMG_4283.jpg

Many thanks to Scotty and Terry for pulling this Fall Meet-Up event together. Terry provided a plethora of ride he pulled form his library, and added a new one into the mix. As in the past, Scotty arranged decent, clean rooms at a budget price at Motel Montreal. There were a couple of new amenities at the motel this year, including a new pergola and seating area, and a fire pit area. The unexpected surprise was that the pool was still open and a few enjoyed it on Thursday after arrival.

Although some people had not yet returned from their ride, Terry & Scott managed to get most attendees together for a group photo Saturday evening before the sun went down. If we had an award, I think the longest distance would go to Andy B from Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada. (in green shirt)

IMG_4289.jpg

After dinner on Saturday, like every other night, we enjoyed banter and bench racing at the fire pit.

IMG_4290.jpg

Great seeing everyone in Lake George, I had a great time riding around the Adirondacks as expected. The weather was great and the foliage started to pop on Saturday. Unfortunately my ride up to Lake Champlain and back via Lake Placid got us back too late to participate in the Group Photo, but we had a great day of riding. Thanks to Scott and Terry for organizing this event again......one of my favorite venues for riding.
Cheers!
Kevin

Great seeing everyone in Lake George, I had a great time riding around the Adirondacks as expected. The weather was great and the foliage started to pop on Saturday. Unfortunately my ride up to Lake Champlain and back via Lake Placid got us back too late to participate in the Group Photo, but we had a great day of riding. Thanks to Scott and Terry for organizing this event again......one of my favorite venues for riding.
Cheers!
Kevin
That's ok Kevin on missing picture. We know who you are!
I missed it also. Was in NH Saturday night. Ride safe