• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

COG Utah Update

Hello Utah COG Members, Former Members & Forum Only Participants!

I have just sent out a "COG Southwest Regional & Utah Update" email to all of you who exist in the COG database.  I only received 5 back as "undeliverable".  If your email is valid within this database, yet the email didn't show in your Inbox, then check your Spambox for it.  If you just flat out didn't get it, then PM me here or send me an email with your email address and I'll make sure that I get you added to my list.

Until then.....here's the email I sent...

COG Southwest Regional & Utah Update

Hello Riders!

As I understand it, it’s probably been awhile since you’ve received any local COG communications, either from a state or regional perspective, or seen much activity for that matter.

Well, there are several of us that aim to change that in a big way.
We hope you’ll join us in doing just that!

First, let me introduce myself, my name is Mike Burkey and I’ll be taking over the Utah Assistant Area Director position from Jack Werts.  Jack held the position for quite a long time and I’d like to thank him for that.  Jack and I got together for a lunch ride up Wolf Creek Pass last fall and had a lengthy discussion about the history of the club here in Utah as well as the Southwest Region (SWR) over the last few years.  Jack was full of great information.  Thanks Jack, for your service to the group.

I am 47 years old and have lived here in Utah, the SL Valley specifically, since June of ’85.  I purchased my first bike, an ’86 Yamaha Fazer FZX in 1988 and have been riding ever since. I won’t bore you with too many details, but my history has mostly been bullet bikes, a ‘91 Honda CBR1000F and the one still in my garage, a ‘06 CBR1000RR.  In June of 2012, I purchased a brand new 2011 Concours and put over 6,000 miles on it in the first 3 months riding through Nevada, California, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and of course the entirety of Utah.  I could not be happier with my purchase; it is everything I’d hoped it would be and more.

I joined COG around the first of July and started participating in the Forums as well as COG’s Facebook page.  It wasn’t long before I was exchanging posts with guys in Utah, California, Nevada, Colorado and Wyoming.

One rider was a guy by the name of Mark Hartman, out of southern Nevada.  Mark was planning a ride from Henderson, NV to Idaho Falls, ID and asked if there were others that would like to join him.  I met Mark and his group in Cortez, CO for a ride up Million Dollar Highway, over Flaming Gorge Dam and around Bear Lake.  One of the topics of conversation was the lack of activity within the SW Region.  After the ride our communications about the SWR continued via emails, forum posts and phone calls.  To make this long story just a bit longer, we decided to take matters into our own hands.  What appears below is the culmination of many months of work with National Officers, Area Directors as well as many other local and not so local individuals.

Southwest Area Director
Ken Ford has just recently appointed Mark Hartman, Area Director for the SWR.  Mark has taken over all duties formerly handled by Will Barr.  Mark is the driving force for everything that is now taking place within the SWR and is officially “The Man”.

Southwest Assistant Area Directors
Mark has appointed three new AAD’s… myself, here in Utah, Bert Luontela in Arizona and Brad Smotherman in Colorado.  He is currently looking to fill positions in California, New Mexico and Hawaii.

Now that announcements and business are out of the way, let’s get to the good stuff…

2013 Southwest Regional Red Rock’n Rally
June 7th-9th, 2013 – Cedar City, UT
Registration is now open!​

To my understanding…this would be the first SWR Rally in about 5 years and we are all ready to go!!!  We know you’ve been aching for one and that is evident by the fact that there are already 20 folks registered to attend.  So, hurry and get your spot!

Here’s a link to the registration page which also contains the info on lodging, camping, events, agenda, suggested routs in-and-out, rally contacts, list of vendors participating, etc.:
http://tinyurl.com/aktvx5s

Here’s a link to the forum thread about the ride:
http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,39161.0.html

2013 BTL Oatman Ride
April 6th, 2013 – Kingman, AZ

This is a day-lunch-meet-n-greet-ride around the Kingman Area.  It’s starts at Mr. D’z Route 66 Diner for breakfast and carries on from there to Oatman, the Colorado River and if time permits, Needles and Goffs, CA.  Check out the forum page for more details as well as to hear Bert tell his tales.

Registration page: http://tinyurl.com/9w8zly2
Forum Thread: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,40170.0.html

2013 National COG Rally – Rocky Mountain Rendezvous
August 26th-30th – Idaho Falls, ID

Yes, that’s right, the National Rally this year is in your backyard.  Check out all the info at the following links...

Rally Webpage: http://concours.org/2013-national-home-page
Registration Page: http://concours.org/national/national-2013/registration

In addition to the rides above, I will be planning some local day rides on the weekends.  I’ll be putting those out on the COG Website Calendar for the SW Region as well as sending out emails as reminders.

We would very much like to have all of you along.  Please reach out to any and/or all of us for anything at all.  We are determined to get our respective states and this region active once again, but we need your participation.  After all, it’s about you!!

Thanks for your time!!!
Mike

P.S. We hope you find these announcements and rides well worth your while.  We also hope that if you've let your membership expire that you might consider rejoining or consider joining if you have never been a member.  If not, well then...just come ride with us!!!  :motonoises:

Great to be in the Southwest area with such positive persons generating excitement! Looking forward to the Rally in June ( I promise I will sign up soon) and getting a chance to meet fellow COG members! Now if we could find someone here in California wouldn't that be something. Mike, Bert, Brad and Mark thank you for putting in the time. I know it will be worth it!  :motonoises:

Rusty said:
Great to be in the Southwest area with such positive persons generating excitement! Looking forward to the Rally in June ( I promise I will sign up soon) and getting a chance to meet fellow COG members! Now if we could find someone here in California wouldn't that be something. Mike, Bert, Brad and Mark thank you for putting in the time. I know it will be worth it!  :motonoises:

Thanks for your support and participation Rusty.  Look forward to meeting you in Cedar City!

Hi.  This is Randy Brazie.  I'd be interested in being a Cali AAD.  I think we REALLY need 2 AADs in Cali, if possible:  North and South.  I am in North, in some great riding country about an hour northwest of Lake Tahoe.  I'd also like to plan a regional ride, on the weekend of September 13-15 in this area.  I have been a COG member for about 10 years (I think), mostly in the SC region.  Fred Harmon has actually wrenched on my bike with me!  :)  I had a 1999 C-10 (the BEST color, Candy Aramith Red Mica, or something like that!).  I have had a Gold Wing since 2006 but you know what they say:  "Come for the bike, stay for the people", and I have.  Am kinda jonesing for a 2012 Connie, but may just hang with the Wing for now. 

Anyway, I have been on the Facebook page for a while, and am holding up my hand. 

Randy

I'll be at the Utah Red Rock rally in June, and "may" also make the National in Idaho.

CRocker told me that you'll be buying breakfast for all who attend the Red Rockin' Rally on Saturday to celebrate your new position.  (And I love bacon!)
Congratulations!
And thanks for your input on the route out of Holladay.  You ideas and my plans are very much in line.

ZGrapeEscape said:
Hi.  This is Randy Brazie.  I'd be interested in being a Cali AAD.  I think we REALLY need 2 AADs in Cali, if possible:  North and South.  I am in North, in some great riding country about an hour northwest of Lake Tahoe.  I'd also like to plan a regional ride, on the weekend of September 13-15 in this area.  I have been a COG member for about 10 years (I think), mostly in the SC region.  Fred Harmon has actually wrenched on my bike with me!  :)  I had a 1999 C-10 (the BEST color, Candy Aramith Red Mica, or something like that!).  I have had a Gold Wing since 2006 but you know what they say:  "Come for the bike, stay for the people", and I have.  Am kinda jonesing for a 2012 Connie, but may just hang with the Wing for now. 

Anyway, I have been on the Facebook page for a while, and am holding up my hand. 

Randy

I'll be at the Utah Red Rock rally in June, and "may" also make the National in Idaho.

Hey Randy, thanks for volunteering!  Mark Hartman (SWAD) is without technology this weekend, but should be back on the boards here Monday/Tuesday.  I'll make sure he gets this info by sending him an email as well and I would imagine he'll be in touch with you shortly thereafter. Couldn't agree more, I've even suggested maybe a Central CA AAD, but maybe that's overkill...?

I've seen you on the FB site.  Good on ya' for being active and willing to help out!  Look forward to meeting and riding with you in June!!

Mike

notsluggo said:
CRocker told me that you'll be buying breakfast for all who attend the Red Rockin' Rally on Saturday to celebrate your new position.  (And I love bacon!)
Congratulations!
And thanks for your input on the route out of Holladay.  You ideas and my plans are very much in line.

Hey Bill,

Please let Bradman know that was indeed the case until he became the newest AAD.  Free Breakfast is the responsibility of lowest regional AAD on the the proverbial totem pole.  Therefore, until he can coerce some sucker stand-up individual from N.M. to head that state, "Free Breakfast" duty is his.  :rotflmao:

And to think...I haven't said nuthin...

Boy!  There sure seem to be more strings attached to this AAD thing all the time... :-[

C'mon New Mexico!  :beerchug:

Good onya Mike. Randy, Thank you sir and I'll be in touch VERY soon. Russ, CUin CC. Brad Man, If you can recruit NM I'll buy Bfast. :great: