• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concour vs. Bmw k1300s

beau23024

Big Wheel
Ive recently sold my BMW k1200s and in the market for a new bike. I have done a search of your forum and seen many comparisons between the Concours and the BMW GT but not many to the 1300 besides a few in the sport bike mags. I have owned several liter bike, one busa and one 919. I use my bike mostly for a short daily commutes to work and one or to long distance trips a year. I had some mechanical issues the the 1200s. That  along with the great price on the Concours make the bike very attractive deal. I do have a few questions. I'm looking at a 2011 with ABS. Does the bike feel overly heavy for a short commute? How is usable is the luggage( waterproof and easy of removal)? The bike seem to be very reliable. Any maintenance issue that I need to watch out for long term. Is it worth getting the extended warranty? Thanks is advance for any input.

For a rider who's not used to a top heavy bike, or has a short inseam, yes the bike can seem top heavy. If you've been riding for years, then no, I have absolutely no issues with it being top heavy so I doubt a seasoned rider will either.
I have never had water seapage into my luggage so I think they are very waterproof and I can get a bag off in seconds so I think they are very easy to remove.
No major maintenance issues to worry about, except that your valves will be more difficult to get to than Airhead valves. Although maybe the 1200 and 1300 aren't airheads, I don't think they are.
Yes you should always buy the extended warranty. Add 3 years to the already 3 years. Shop around, you should be able to get it for $300

I believe it's prudent to wait to get the extended warrantee just before the initial 36 month warrantee expires.  You  don't have to buy it when you get the bike.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree with everything else Mr. Pepsi said.

I also agree with what Mr. Pepsi said. I use my bike to commute to and from work daily, and while I'm considered an intermediate rider with a short 29" inseam, I have no trouble at all with this bike, either in traffic (which I suffer from daily commuting from NJ to Philadelphia, or negotiating city streets and parking. She's very stable, and give me great confidence. I have also not had any electrical or mechanical issues with this bike (even though I've ridden her through the rainiest season the NE has seen in years).

Although it's not extremely top heavy. Yes the bike is top heavy. It is less than some and more than others. There is no way to have a 700lb motorcycle with a in line 4, and 5+ gallons of gas up high, not to be top heavy. But as you get use to it, it's not that bad. But a full tank at slow speeds could result in disaster if your not use to it. So do not be under any illusion that it's not top heavy. Just be careful until your use to it.
As far as the extended warranty. I totally agree with BJ. I would not buy it until the factory warranty is about to run out. I go under the belief that it's possible to not have the bike in 3 years. Other bikes come along. Interests change. Bad things like thefts and accidents can happen (although theft is probably unlikely). So you could be wasting your money on an extended warranty for a bike that may not be around in three years. So hold off until your nearing the end of the factory warranty.

BJ_CT said:
I believe it's prudent to wait to get the extended warrantee just before the initial 36 month warrantee expires.  You  don't have to buy it when you get the bike.  Just my 2 cents.

I agree with everything else Mr. Pepsi said.

I've only had my bike for 4 mths and 7,000 Klms and no issues with anything on the bike (K11)
As for top heavy I have never found that to be but in saying that I traded a Triumph ST1050 which IS top heavy and a FJR1300A, again another top heavy bike so maybe I'm use to it hence I don't feel it.
The bike feels better to me than the K1300 I was going to buy, not that there was anything wrong the the BMW other than here in Australia it stands for 'BRING MY WALLET"
So riding on any bike is a disaster if you grab a hand full of front brake and this bike is no different.
I'm only short (5'8") and even with the gel seat with race boots on it tippy toe time unlike the K13 which fitted better but (IMHO) not a better bike for the price difference.

Anyway enjoy

Cheers
Poddy

I came off of  a lightened sv 650s and moved to the Concours 14.  Yes, it is heavier, and yes it feels top heavy (compared to the sv).  I adjusted to it within a few tankfulls of gas.  The bike handles amazingly well and the weight does tend to disappear once the machine is in motion.

I kept the sv for around town duties as I felt the Consours would be too much, too heavy, etc to be fun in town.  That idea was a good one, but I never ride the sv.  I ended up having to add stabil to the sv tank.

New member here!
I ride an 06 K1200LT, and yes it is a nice bike, but heavy, and expensive to service and repair unless you are able to to the wrenching yourself.  I have owned many different bikes from Honda, Kawasaki, Norton, Yanaha, and now a Beemer.  My previous Kaw was a 1977 1000LTD.  Great ride!  I have been thinking that I may like to sell the Beemer in a year or two and move to a lighter bike that still moves out and is a great for touring or blasting to Tim Hortons.  Tim Horton's is the Starbucks of Canada.  I have read many reviews on the concours and I think it may be the next machine in my garage.  I hope to find out more on this site and I would like to hear comments from newer owners who have switched from a different ride to the Concours. 
Thanks,
Jim

gladiator99 said:
New member here!
I ride an 06 K1200LT, and yes it is a nice bike, but heavy, and expensive to service and repair unless you are able to to the wrenching yourself.  I have owned many different bikes from Honda, Kawasaki, Norton, Yanaha, and now a Beemer.  My previous Kaw was a 1977 1000LTD.  Great ride!  I have been thinking that I may like to sell the Beemer in a year or two and move to a lighter bike that still moves out and is a great for touring or blasting to Tim Hortons.  Tim Horton's is the Starbucks of Canada.  I have read many reviews on the concours and I think it may be the next machine in my garage.  I hope to find out more on this site and I would like to hear comments from newer owners who have switched from a different ride to the Concours. 
Thanks,
Jim

I have to say your wrong. You said: "Tim Horton's is the Starbucks of Canada". I do not agree. Unlike Starbucks, Tim Horton's actually has pretty good coffee!  :))

Oh yeah. Welcome to the forum Jim!!!!

gladiator99 said:
New member here!
I ride an 06 K1200LT, and yes it is a nice bike, but heavy, and expensive to service and repair unless you are able to to the wrenching yourself. 

The guy I ride with who has a K1300 would agree service is expensive. He can afford it, whereas it would hurt my wallet each time.

Heavy? Hmm, the C14 tops 700 wet, and the K1600GTL is barely 50-70 pounds heavier, with a much lower seat, and a much better touring bike. Not as nimble I suspect, but not appreciably heavier.

My ZX14 is top heavy too, but lighter than a C14 by a bit. Both use the same main frame and engine cases, but the C14 has about half a gallon more capacity in the gas tank. All of which predicts these bikes will be top heavy. Its part of why they turn so well, too.

My buddy has a GT 1300. When I sat on his and stood it up I was amazed how top heavy it felt. I had him sit on mine and he could not believe how well balanced it was for a similar weight bike. I can off an 05 C-10 - talk about top heavy.  The C-14 (my second) is very manageable whether used for city, commuting or touring.

Just to add my two cents: I had an 1150RT for four years, and that was top heavy. I have never, ever noticed my C14 to be heavy on top. My first comment was that it felt like a 250 when sitting on it. My wife and I did a 4000 mile trip this summer, and had none of the 'parking lot' surprises that the RT tended to throw our way. As an added bonus, the stock suspension is right up there with the Ohlins I put on the 1150. Take the time to dial it in, an the ride is perfect. The only thing I miss is the braking. One finger vs two on the Kaw.

Last Sept i got my C14 '10 and my friend got his K1300GT '10 at the very same day, we hard a few trips together, swapped the bike time by time.  Here is our notes :

- C14 is heavier and taller
- K1300 is easier in turn handling at speed below 80Km/h, especially U-turn, on high speed cornering, K1300 has the tendency to swing the tail alittle bit
- the clutch on C14 is alot harder to pull (well ...Bimmer is always Bimmer)
- the brake lever on C14 is not "good feeling" as K1300 but the brake performance on both bike are great, C14 is slightly better
- on the road, end of gear #1 2 bike are the same, on gear #2 C14 passes by half of the bike and gear #3 on K1300 is left behind
- the gear shifting on the K1300 is very lousy, harder and not as smooth as C14
- some of you might like the heating seat on K1300 but not me
- on windy roads and speed above 140Km/h , the K1300 seems quieter but the tail starts shaking even on straight road
- if you lost the key of your K1300, it costs you alot more then the lousy KPASS of C14
- the parts for K1300 of course more expensive than for C14

conclusion : my friend changed his K1300 for a new R1200RS Adv and waiting for delivery of the new K1600GTL  :) :) :)

at

I've been riding BMWs for many years. I still have my 2008 R1200GSA. I love the BMWs, but the Connie is MUCH better bang for the buck. I tell friends of mine that the Connie is 90% of the bike, or more, at 50% of the price of the K1600GT. The K1300GT is a nice bike, and it won several of the sport-touring comparison tests in which the Connie came in second or just behind the FJR, but I like the Connie better than the 1300, especially in the wind. (There's a reason the K1300 is called the "flying sheet of plywood"). The Connie doesn't corner as well at speed, but it's still great. The slow-speed turning issues can be corrected if you're willing to modify the steering (that's what some of the enforcement agencies are doing to allow for sharper turns at parking lot speeds.)

The Connie doesn't feel top heavy to me at all. It's heavy, but very comfortable, sporty and easy to ride. I think it's a great commuter.

Also, the tires than came on my new 2011 Connie were lousy. By all accounts, a new set of tires will make a hug difference. Who knows, maybe even enough of a difference to further close the gap between the two bikes on handling.

I love the Connie. I think it's the best bike for the buck -- bar none.

gladiator99 said:
New member here!
Thanks,
Jim

I've had mine for 3 weeks now. I'm trying to get out of the office so I can go ride a bit before my wife comes home. I love it love it love it! I just came from riding dressers (latest a kawi voyager), and also do some track time on sport bikes. All I can say about the concours is I love it!

I was actually thinking about the 1600 when I got my concours. Also thought about the Norge- I love Guzii's.
The BMW is literally jpossibly a slightly better bike ( has a radio and the on the fly suspension adjust) but cost almost twice as much. The Guzzi is half the bike for the same or slightly higher price.  That was the hard one- love Guzzi's. If the Norge had felt more like my Lemans, I probably would have gone with the Guzzi. At any rate, I decided the concours is one heck of a good deal in an awesome bike, so that is why I bought it. I am very happy with it!

I know that the K1300GT is a similar engine to the 1200LT but makes more horsepower.  I am aware of the parking lot tipovers that many of the owners experienced......Happened to me only once after my foot slipped out on some loose gravel while backing in to a parking spot. These are a bitch to pick up.  I Think that the LT is a great tourer with lots of features but I just shudder to think how much repairs will cost as the bike gets older.  Also this bike has so much fairing and plastic that it is almost impossible to service without tearing off a lot of the plastic.  Right now I have reasonably low mileage on the bike so may consider selling within a few years. 
I must take a test drive on the connie sometime soon. 
Jim