• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concours (C14) Fender Extenders Front and Rear

So I went looking for ABS glue.  Neither Home Depot nor Lowes in my area carries it.  HD has a general purpose cement for PVC, ABS, CPVC, etc. but I rather get the ABS specific kind.  So, I looked on Northern Tool's website, and was told what I really should be looking for is... ASS GLUE

Attachments

• abs glue.JPG
    abs glue.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 158
MidlifeCrisis said:
So I went looking for ABS glue.  Neither Home Depot nor Lowes in my area carries it.  HD has a general purpose cement for PVC, ABS, CPVC, etc. but I rather get the ABS specific kind.  So, I looked on Northern Tool's website, and was told what I really should be looking for is... ASS GLUE

:rotflmao:  Classic

MidlifeCrisis said:

That is funny. If you need to you can use the general purpose cement as it specifically mentions that it will work on ABS plastic.

The problem comes when someone uses epoxy or some other glue that is not good on ABS and only forms a weak surface bond, unlike the way the plastic needs to be bonded with a slight melting and solvent type bond.

Bought mine from Amazon, since I have a Prime membership I didn't have to pay shipping, and of course no tax.

Just searched for "ABS glue" and it found me plumbers ABS pipe glue, which worked fantastic. I would have to rip my oem fender and still wouldn't get the extender to come loose.

PdLt said:
Finally got both the front and rear installed today.  Thanks Blue.  All went well!!! :)

8)    Good to hear. Now your rad will be safe and your bike should stay cleaner longer.

Larry

I got mine off the MC Larry web site, came in 2 days, put it on yesterday. My Lowe's had the black ABS glue. No issues with the install, I even got those brake line retainer clips off with no problem once I went to the auto parts store and got a pair of long needle nose pliers with a curved tip.

I should have ordered the rear extender at the same time, I'm thinking now that I want it.

DanL said:
I got mine off the MC Larry web site, came in 2 days, put it on yesterday. My Lowe's had the black ABS glue. No issues with the install, I even got those brake line retainer clips off with no problem once I went to the auto parts store and got a pair of long needle nose pliers with a curved tip.

I should have ordered the rear extender at the same time, I'm thinking now that I want it.

Sent you a PM Dan, the rear is available only through me.

Larry.

I recived my extenders on Monday, put them on this morning, Thanks Blue One (Larry).    Here is the pictures

Attachments

• 100_1081 (350x341).jpg
    100_1081 (350x341).jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 184
  • 100_1087 (350x171).jpg
    100_1087 (350x171).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 183
Junior said:
I recived my extenders on Monday, put them on this morning, Thanks Blue One (Larry).    Here is the pictures

Looks very good, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Larry.

andydude said:
Hello ... I would like to buy one of these !

Send me a private message telling me if you want front, rear or both and I'll respond with info on ordering.  :)

Larry.

Now that I have the body panels all back on my 2012 I can see how the front extender really looks, and I like it. It clears the botton chin section with plenty of room to spare, too.

I just ordered the rear section, might as well get it done while the bike is still showroom clean. Heh.

All recent orders sent out in yesterdays mail. I have plastic in stock again so am set to go for any new orders. Price of plastic stock has remained the same so prices will too  :)

Blue One said:
All recent orders sent out in yesterdays mail. I have plastic in stock again so am set to go for any new orders. Price of plastic stock has remained the same so prices will too  :)

Did my rear fender extender go out ?

Privateer said:
Blue One said:

Yes, actually a few days before the last bunch so it's on the way. 

Larry.

Blue One said:
Privateer said:
Blue One said:

Yes, actually a few days before the last bunch so it's on the way. 

Larry.

* rubs hands together in anticipation *

I have a ride report I almost forgot to give on the front fender extender.

Last weekend, I rode for almost 2 hours in the rain, over back country roads, across a few sections with mud on the asphalt from tractors crossing between fields, and so forth.

When I got back, I noticed my black ProjekD radiator guard was absolutely clean. Black shows everything, too.

So I can unequivocally say the front fender extender works well.

Privateer said:
I have a ride report I almost forgot to give on the front fender extender.

Last weekend, I rode for almost 2 hours in the rain, over back country roads, across a few sections with mud on the asphalt from tractors crossing between fields, and so forth.

When I got back, I noticed my black ProjekD radiator guard was absolutely clean. Black shows everything, too.

So I can unequivocally say the front fender extender works well.

And without the fender extender the bottom third of your radiator may well have been on it's way to being plugged with mud between the fins.....

Glad it works as intended. 

Larry.

W9ETA said:
How much longer is it than the original fender length?

Bob 09

Take a look at the pictures, the original fender almost may as well not be there. It ends about 2" or so above the bottom of the radiator. My fender extender is about 7 " or so in length.

Just installed fender extender. Job was simple to do and works and looks well. Just a word of advise when installing, Outline the two seems with blue masking tape prior to glueing which will prevent anything from getting on the fender paint. Im sure this has been already mentioned in previous posts but I didnt bother to go back and read all of them.

Available again as usual for anyone who needs one. (Translation = anyone who doesn't have one and has a naked and vulnerable radiator.)  ;)  Or a dirty rear end  :)

Blue One said:
Available again as usual for anyone who needs one. (Translation = anyone who doesn't have one and has a naked and vulnerable radiator.)  ;)  Or a dirty rear end  :)

I'm going to put the rear extender on this coming long weekend. Doing some slab riding tomorrow to rack up miles so I can have a real service done before I go to Arkansas in June. But I'll find time.

Pictures will be posted later this afternoon. I finally installed the rear extender, and it fits great, looks great, the quality is good, the instructions are good.

I admit to taking far less care in drilling the holes for the rivets, but if I can't drill simple holes in ABS with titanium bits and machinist creds its time to give up completely. Heh.

First so you can see how far down it comes in the back...

rf201205.jpg

Now, a better picture from the side...

rf201204.jpg

Blue One said:
Looks good. Now your rear end will stay cleaner  :) 

Larry.

True dat !

I used ABS cement as well, sparingly, and then inside a fairly good amount along the seam to keep it from leaking to the outside. It fits well enough that if you were careful you could probably just ABS glue it, if you had the right kind of clamps. But the black headed pop rivets are a good idea, she will never come off.

So I have front and rear now. When are you going to make something like a screen that covers the lower portion of the opening under the radiator? Just kidding, I know metal work is not your thing. Or is it?

Just asking because the quality of your mold making skills is obvious, based on how well the pieces fit, and I can see no evidence of mold shrink.

JR said:
Blue One said:
Looks good. Now your rear end will stay cleaner  :) 

Larry.

True dat !

I used ABS cement as well, sparingly, and then inside a fairly good amount along the seam to keep it from leaking to the outside. It fits well enough that if you were careful you could probably just ABS glue it, if you had the right kind of clamps. But the black headed pop rivets are a good idea, she will never come off.

So I have front and rear now. When are you going to make something like a screen that covers the lower portion of the opening under the radiator? Just kidding, I know metal work is not your thing. Or is it?

Just asking because the quality of your mold making skills is obvious, based on how well the pieces fit, and I can see no evidence of mold shrink.

Hi JR , A couple things  :)  I'm awful glad you didn't use ABS glue to hold the rear extender on.

It would possibly stick initially but then would quickly fall off. If you look at the inside of the rear fender you will see 2 letters molded into it. They identify the type of plastic the piece is made of.

The rear fender says PP which stands for Polypropylene which will not accept glue. Very few glues if any that I have found do a good job of  bonding to Polypropylene.

That is why I provide the rivets and also show sealing the inside seam with black RTV silicone in the instructions.

The rear fender is not like the front and the rest of the plastic which is ABS. That's why my front fender extenders can be installed using only ABS glue, ABS to ABS.

As for metal work, actually my trade is Welding. Have been a Pressure-Tig welder/ fabricator my whole life and my full time day job (last 15 years) is teaching welding.

The fender extenders I make are molded from ABS sheet using a vacuum molder that I built myself. Heat the plastic and form it over a male buck (mold) .

And yes, I make my molds, you would be amazed at how many hundred man hours go into one mold.  :eek:

I do this in my home garage  :) 

Blue One said:
Hi JR , A couple things  :)  I'm awful glad you didn't use ABS glue to hold the rear extender on.

It would possibly stick initially but then would quickly fall off. If you look at the inside of the rear fender you will see 2 letters molded into it. They identify the type of plastic the piece is made of.

And yes, I make my molds, you would be amazed at how many hundred man hours go into one mold.  :eek:

I do this in my home garage  :)

The ABS cement I put inside seems to have bonded, I cannot pry it loose with a pick.

I wouldn't be surprised about what time goes into making a a mold. I worked with MDI in Japan to help them make molds from my ZX14 bodywork to make carbon fiber replacements. It took quite some time, and a number of iterations, to get molds that accomodated shrinkage both when the mold cured, and when the matte cured. Holes for instance for wellnuts along the top of the middle fairing (much like the C14 just all one piece - side, belly, foreman grills were only pieces) had to have increased spacing slightly for holes #1 and #2 to accomodate both mold and matte shrinkage.

They did it in a garage too, and half of the garage was dedicated to so called "garage kits" which are PP or resin anime figures which you assemble, paint, and dress. Which is a whole industry in its own right. I have several of the girls from Dead Or Alive in varying scales, including one which is 2 feet tall. Expensive, and the only people who can accurately paint them true to the anime genre they are taken from are in Tokyo and Taiwan and charge a lot. The results are stunning though.

Anyway, at least I used the pop rivets, and ran a bead of black RTV Adhesive / Sealant all the way around the inside too. It will be fine.

That Japanese stuff is interesting.  Glad it worked out and you used the rivets. We know for sure it won't fall off down the road that way.

Larry.

Summer is almost here and I am winding down to enjoy it myself. I will be around checking messages from time to time and if I am out on the road myself I may be a little slow to respond or fill orders however a little patience will pay off as I will get back to you.

Ride safe and happy summer adventures.  :)

Larry

Another satisfied customer.  :)  As someone who rides to work about every day, this is a welcome addition to keep the rear case free of water and road debris.  Thank you! :great:

7479889994_2660e5ca5c_c.jpg

7479815304_0eb07b2867_c.jpg

Rode for 4 hours in a torrential downpour (and lots of lighting) during my second travel day going home from the National. The front and rear fender extenders did a great job of minimizing the spray you get in heavy rain, which always carries a lot of mud and junk with it, no matter where you are, it seems.

My bike stayed pretty darn clean through it all.

Thanks guys it's good to hear that they work as intended. I have always been amazed that the designers don't fit a decent front and rear fender on a sport touring bike like the C14. But that's ok, it left it open to me to find a solution  :) 

Lets all have a safe summer. Ride safe guys. I'll still be filling orders although a bit of patience will pay off till the end of August  :)

For all the ones who have sent me messages, I'm sorry I have not been able to respond. I am on the road untill the end of August and for some reason I can't get the messaging system to open my private messages to repy to you.

Hang in there until the end of August and I will be abkle to reply and give you ordering details and fill orders as well.

Thanks to everyone for your patience while we are off in extended road trip -holiday mode. Having the entire summer off has its advantages  :)

Larry.

Hi Larry, just a thanks for allowing my sister-in-law to pick the extenders up for me. Package retrieved in Kamloops and installed with in a day of getting home. Between you and meeting up with  Dave @ AdMore lighting on Calgary, I can home from the Family Vacation with stuff I wanted!! Thanks for an awesome add-on!

ratherberiding said:
Hi Larry, just a thanks for allowing my sister-in-law to pick the extenders up for me. Package retrieved in Kamloops and installed with in a day of getting home. Between you and meeting up with  Dave @ AdMore lighting on Calgary, I can home from the Family Vacation with stuff I wanted!! Thanks for an awesome add-on!

Hey, glad I could help. Always good to get goodies to another rider. Ride safe and enjoy the protected rad and a cleaner bike now that you have the extenders on.

Larry.

Still on the road, but finally managed to reply to all my messages  :)  Will be home by the end of August, so hang in there  ;)

Larry

Egodriver71 said:
Rears still available?

You don't have them listed on your website.

I don't have a website, thats MCL who also buys from me. I sell direct as well and the rears are available only through me.

Larry.

Thanks so much for the extreme patience for anyone who ordered near the end of August and Sept 1 or so. After returning home at the end of August I was laid up and could not return to work at my regular teaching job for several days due to an extreme dental pain experience that left me down and out.  :truce:  The dentist fixed me up after pulling a tooth that could not be saved and now I have a couple more visits to go.

As a result doing any molding was also out of the question.
Back at work now and all my back orders have been filled and will go out in tomorrows mail.

Again, thanks for the patience and your extenders are on the way  :great:

Had some trouble with my molding machine which I have rebuilt and repaired so after this weekend it will be full speed ahead again thanks to my dentist also, she fixed me up and all is well  :great:

Anyway I'm here when you need your fender extenders.

Larry.

Got them both installed.  I have the bazooka and hard bags on all the time with a top case. The rear fender extender really made it a better looking bike and more functional.  Thanks.

VAGTR said:
Got them both installed.  I have the bazooka and hard bags on all the time with a top case. The rear fender extender really made it a better looking bike and more functional.  Thanks.

+1 .... I also think the rear extender makes the bike look better.

Good to hear guys. I always thought that a sport touring bike needed a better rear fender than what they fitted from the factory. That little triangle of plastic did practically nothing.
Glad my design is working well.
Larry.

JR said:
Larry,

Will your front extender work on a ZX14 / ZX14R ?

Asking for some ZX14 owners.

Yes, it will also fit the ZX 14. The fender is identical to the Concours fender on the bottom end. I have sold  quite a few to ZX14 riders, I round the bottom off slightly for a sportier look still  maintaining the effectiveness  of the extender.

Here is a picture of the ZX14 extender, I believe I may even have a picture of it on a ZX14 at home.

Attachments

• ZX14.jpg
    ZX14.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 134
I know I have praised these extenders before on a previous page, but I have just about finished winterizing my bike so I have an entire riding season past during which I had both extenders installed.

What I found out is despite all the rain and such, the back end of the bike stayed amazingly clean. The bags got a light film on the bottoms, but nothing like the caked on stuff you get without the rear extender.

And I haven't even had to wash the radiator guard mesh off, it stayed clean all season. There is a pewter angel bell hanging down low in the front, and its not even dirty.

So after a season of riding with both extenders installed, all I can say is,  :great:

Looks very good. Enjoy the protection and cleaner bike that you now have. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

JR, thanks for the kudos. Glad they work well for you.    :)

Larry.

In case anyone is interested the front C14 fender extender also fits the ZX14 sportbike. I round off the botton edge of it slightly for a sportier look.

See the pictures I posted on page 12 of the thread.

Larry.

Getting close to too late for Christmas packages to get there now guys. This time of year slows down delivery.  :)

I'll say an early Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy and safe upcoming New Year too. 

Blue One said:
Getting close to too late for Christmas packages to get there now guys. This time of year slows down delivery.  :)

I'll say an early Merry Christmas to everyone and a Happy and safe upcoming New Year too.

PM sent.

Cheers
Ron

SAS Mayhem said:
Blue One said:

PM sent.

Cheers
Ron

And order shipped, thanks and Merry Christmas.  :)