• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concours (C14) Fender Extenders Front and Rear

Larry is great to work with. answered all my questions and concerns. Ordered mine yesterday.

great commu...comunica.. commm....
He talk good to me.

Farkle #3 acquired >:D dozens more to go! :popcorncouple:

I could not find any ABS specific solvent cement anywhere in my area including plumbing supply stores.  I was able to find some on Amazon for under $6 inlcuding shipping though

Brass said:
I could not find any ABS specific solvent cement anywhere in my area including plumbing supply stores.  I was able to find some on Amazon for under $6 inlcuding shipping though

That's surprising, the big building supply places like Home Depot or Lowes usually carry it in their plumbing departments.

But it's good you were able to source some anyway,we sure have good resources available to us these days.  :great:

Larry

Blue One said:
Brass said:

That's surprising, the big building supply places like Hme Depot or Lowes usually carry it in their plumbing departments.

But it's good you were able to source some anyway,we sure have good resources available to us these days.  :great:

Larry

It's been over a year since I put on my front extender, but even then Home Depot only had a sort of universal cement that included
ABS but no specific ABS cement. I skipped the universal stuff and went to Lowes where I found the ABS specific cement. It's my understanding
that most RVs use ABS plumbing. It may be that before long, that one will need to go to a RV accessory store to get some right now, instead of waiting for
the internet delivery vehicle of your color choice to show up.

Larry,

In your opinion, does the front fender eliminate the need for a radiator guard?
All others welcome to chime in with their thoughts :eek:

smooth_operator said:
Larry,

In your opinion, does the front fender eliminate the need for a radiator guard?
All others welcome to chime in with their thoughts :eek:

The radiator is vulnerable to items being thrown off the tire, but it is also vulnerable to road hazards that may come bouncing towards the bike. Stones kicked up by other vehicles are one of them.

The fender extender stops things like rocks and tar and dirt from getting to your radiator from your front tire. Another thing the front fender extender stops is the annoying steam that rises from the hot rad when the water sprayed by the front tire goes through it. Typically happens when stopped at a traffic light.

There is a small danger of getting some damage to the rad from something other than the front wheel, but it is up to you if you feel a rad guard is also needed.
I know of a great many bikes running without one, just with my fender extender.

One of the problems I have seen associated with a radiator guard can be hotter running. In a really hot climate it can add up to a substantial ,noticeable difference.
The radiator guard can block airflow, even a small amount can impact running temp.

I know of one C14 owner in Australia who removed his rad guard for that reason.

So again, the choice is up to you. Just something to consider.
Larry.

Larry,  please forgive me if this question is covered earlier in this long thread. The photo of the C14 rear extender looks like it might make rear wheel removal a bit tricky (on centerstand/floor, not on a bike lift with a drop tail).  Is there still plenty of clearance?

Flat-spot said:
Larry,  please forgive me if this question is covered earlier in this long thread. The photo of the C14 rear extender looks like it might make rear wheel removal a bit tricky (on centerstand/floor, not on a bike lift with a drop tail).  Is there still plenty of clearance?

Can't recall if it's on here, it may be  :)

It makes it a little more awkward, but most people will used a bike lift that has the removable plate under the rear wheel so it isn't an issue.

Having the bike on the centerstand taking off the front and rear wheels the bike will tip forward enough that again it isn't a problem. I've  done it several times by having the front wheel off and just tipping the bike forward till the front forks sit on an upside down milk crate with a square piece of plywood sitting on it.

The function of the rear extender makes the small inconvenience worthwhile.

Larry

PaleRider said:
Black ABS Cement is what you are looking for in a blue can.

I mean't to comment on this, black colored cement is great, but any color will work. I also suggest a small bead of black RTV silicone applied to the seam INSIDE the fender extender to seal it from possibly leaking any water or dirt.

Larry.  Order away fellas, lots available.  :great:

Just PM'd ya for a set...apologies if the PM was a repeat...the first one was for a front but I decided to get a rear as well.

Thanks!

Chip

Blue One said:
Egodriver71 said:
Blue One said:
Back up for the next round of orders  ;)

Larry.

V2.0 arrived.  Only need a rear.

Send me a PM when you want to order. I would strongly advise fitting a front one too, that rad is very vulnerable.  :)

Larry

The Fenda Extenda already on the front.  I like yours better, but I'm not going to remove that one to put on another.

PM sent.

Egodriver71 said:
Blue One said:
Egodriver71 said:
Blue One said:

Larry.

Send me a PM when you want to order. I would strongly advise fitting a front one too, that rad is very vulnerable.  :)

Larry

The Fenda Extenda already on the front.  I like yours better, but I'm not going to remove that one to put on another.

PM sent.

That's too bad  :)  It is possible to do  ;)  In any case I have a rear ready and sent you a PM with order details.

Larry.

Blue One said:
Egodriver71 said:
Blue One said:
Egodriver71 said:
Blue One said:

Larry.

Larry

PM sent.

That's too bad  :)  It is possible to do  ;)  In any case I have a rear ready and sent you a PM with order details.

Larry.

The rear is on the way. Thanks  :great:  Larry.

Hi, I just picked up a 2011 Concours and would like to order one of you front fender extensions. I live on Vancouver Island B.C. Canada. Please send me details as to payment and shipping to B.C.,  Thanks Peter Lukasch

Blue,

Could you please PM me with instructions on how to order a set?
Does the price include shipping to Hawaii? (96789)

Thanks,

Blue one,
  I joined this forum for a freind to purchase your front fender extension. Please send instructions for price and pay instructions to zip 95965........thanks
Ryan

Summer holidays coming up, riding season and all. I'll be around checking in from time to time. Have a safe summer and good riding.

Larry.

CW said:
Larry:
I sent you a PM a few days ago...did it make it's way to you?

CW

Sent you a message, hope you got it. Have been out on a holiday myself will be home by the end of the month.

If you place your order I will get it sent out as soon as I get back.

Larry.

Okay I've paid and now anxiously awaiting my fender extenders front and rear.....okay I only paid 15 minutes ago but still !
I ordered the rear too because this fall/winter I'll be getting a "Third Wheel" single wheel trailer from the great guys in my home town.  These trailers are amazing.
Truth be told, I don't really like the look of the rear fender extender that much but I think that the rear fender extender is a must to protect that investment as well.

Canada-Dan said:
Okay I've paid and now anxiously awaiting my fender extenders front and rear.....okay I only paid 15 minutes ago but still !
I ordered the rear too because this fall/winter I'll be getting a "Third Wheel" single wheel trailer from the great guys in my home town.  These trailers are amazing.
Truth be told, I don't really like the look of the rear fender extender that much but I think that the rear fender extender is a must to protect that investment as well.

The look of the rear is a love it or not situation, however the stock rear fender is a joke. A bike that is designed as a sport touring mount and in your case wanting to protect a trailer somewhat as well as keeping the rear of the bike cleaner should have a much more functional rear fender rather than what it has.

That is the purpose of the rear extender, to give that functionality, and it looks decent enough too.

Stryker said:
Another satisfied customer+++

Larry.
Picked the box up from the post office and got it installed this evening.  I was sure to use the cleaner that was recommended for ABS before applying the glue.  Found it in black so that was a bonus.  Great product!

Dave

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p465/shorti98/20130930_220221.jpg

Right on Dave ,it looks good. No more danger for your radiator now. And you should find the area where your pipes and oil filter live will stay cleaner too.

Blue One,

Just got the rear extender. Nice piece of work! Just one question. In the photos I see of an installed extender, the rivets look black. The rivets in the picture in your instructions appear to be black on the top of the rivet. The ones in the package sent are silver. Can these rivets be painted black or do you know where I can purchase the rivets that are already black? Thanks!!

Mike

Redwings01 said:
Blue One,

Just got the rear extender. Nice piece of work! Just one question. In the photos I see of an installed extender, the rivets look black. The rivets in the picture in your instructions appear to be black on the top of the rivet. The ones in the package sent are silver. Can these rivets be painted black or do you know where I can purchase the rivets that are already black? Thanks!!

Mike

Just for general info, as I answered Mike by PM. I am looking into getting black rivets again however a simple  Black Artline 400 paint marker will paint the rivet heads black easily.

A small detail easily looked after  :)

Have been molding up a storm, I now have a box full of front and rear fender extenders ready to go.  :)

Larry

Picked up a front and rear set from Larry and they are awesome.  The installation was a snap and I got both installed just before heading down to the Blue Ridge for a ride.  On my way back home I got caught in a nasty downpour and everything was so much cleaner thanks to these.  I cannot recommend these enough for anyone who rides in any sort of bad weather. 

grafix72 said:
Picked up a front and rear set from Larry and they are awesome.  The installation was a snap and I got both installed just before heading down to the Blue Ridge for a ride.  On my way back home I got caught in a nasty downpour and everything was so much cleaner thanks to these.  I cannot recommend these enough for anyone who rides in any sort of bad weather.

Great to hear. Thanks  :great:

Blue One said:
Redwings01 said:
Blue One,

Mike

Just for general info, as I answered Mike by PM. I am looking into getting black rivets again however a simple  Black Artline 400 paint marker will paint the rivet heads black easily.

A small detail easily looked after  :)

Finally.    :)  I have managed to get some black rivets. Got a large quantity so I'll be able to send them out with all new rear fender extender orders.

Larry

Just a quick note about rear wheel removal and the rear fender extender.

One of the first things I was asked about my rear fender extender was how was I going to get the wheel off. I became concerned as well. Having finally purchased a tire changer I did my own C14 tires for the first time just before the 2014 National. I'm not sure if what I did was really needed, but it worked so I'm passing it along here as some may have concerns. I rode the bike's rear wheel up on two wood panels that had a combined thickness of 1.5 inches. I lowered the center stand on two pieces with the same combined thickness (1.5  in.) the wheel and tire cleared easily with a little fender side deflection and a tilt of the wheel. The fender had much more deflection available so again, I'm not sure if the 1.5 in. of raising was really needed. Additionally for those that may wonder, I have the stock muffler, I would think that most after market mufflers would offer even more clearance. I pass this along so those concerned about it know that there is a solution that doesn't involve a motorcycle lift with a removable panel.

Unrelated to the fender extender, but with the rear wheel off, and a jack with piece of wood under the headers the front wheel can be easily raised enough for removal so that removal of the front fender isn't needed. I used a ratchet strap around the center stand  crossbar and looped up over the oil filter as a safety measure to ensure that the stand didn't fold up while this was all in progress. 

If has already been addressed, please forgive my laziness to read 18 pages of "PM sent" etc. etc.  :)

When changing out the front and rear tires, both wheels can be removed simply by using the center stand, no boards under it needed.

Get the bike on the center stand and then remove the front wheel leaving the fender in place. An upside down milk crate or similar crate with a piece of plywood works to set the front forks on and support the front of the bike.

It also lets the bike lean forward and raises the rear wheel enough that you can easily remove the rear wheel without trouble from the fender extender.

There is no danger of the center stand collapsing and the bike falling.

And yes it has been addressed, as well along with the PM sent's there are lots of tips and other things along the way and plenty of satisfied buyers  :)

Larry,    :sign0098:  Very HAPPY w/the front fender extender.                  ALAN    :character0029: 

Alan_Yucius_FL said:
  Larry,    :sign0098:  Very HAPPY w/the front fender extender.                  ALAN    :character0029:

Good to hear, ride safe.

Larry.

hlh1 said:
Does the rear fender interfere with rear wheel removal?

There is some discussion on the thread previous to this. The answer is it depends on where you try to remove the wheel. If it's beside the road then the answer is yes. If it's in the garage during a tire change then the answer is no.
The rear wheel can be removed with no issues on a motorcycle lift with the panel that removes to drop the rear wheel, or it can also be removed with the bike on the center stand while the front wheel is also off the bike.
The rear wheel can also be removed with the front wheel on and the bike on the center stand by putting a piece of 2x6 under the center stand.

So there you have it, yes and no.  :)

It was good meeting you at the motorcycle show Rick.
Enjoy your fender extenders and the protection they will provide your Connie.

With the rear one in place the back end will stay cleaner too  :)

I have a box full ready to go guys, so order away  :beerchug:

Larry

Hey Larry,  I bought a 6 month old '08 in the spring of '09.  I did not realize for quite awhile that the previous owner chopped off the "tail" of the rear fender approx. 1/4 in. above the lower edge of the license plate.  Is this a problem adding your rear extender?

Flat-spot said:
Hey Larry,  I bought a 6 month old '08 in the spring of '09.  I did not realize for quite awhile that the previous owner chopped off the "tail" of the rear fender approx. 1/4 in. above the lower edge of the license plate.  Is this a problem adding your rear extender?

My fender extender is designed to retain the complete original rear fender including the small reflector mounted into the bottom edge.

If the reflector was cut off and only 1/4" was taken then you might get away with it.

Any more and there would be a hole left where the missing part of the fender was.

That hole could be dealt with in a number of ways, none of which would be all that attractive.

In that case your best bet would be to find a replacement rear fender.

Larry.

Larry,
I would like to clean up/protect my 2014. Please send me info required to order a set ,front and rear, for northwest Florida zip 32526.
Thank you,
Greg

Still interested..........

connie_rider said:
Larry, (fyi) mine has still not arrived. I know you shipped hit.
I'll watch for a few more days and let you know.

Ted

Hang in there Ted, it usually takes a bit to get to you from here in Canada.

Larry.

Thanks Larry.

I know I'll get it eventually. Just keeping you posted.
Still no part.
I'll keep watching for it...

Ride safe, ted

Thanks Larry - the package showed up today. Everything looks great! A very well thought out, nicely made and packaged upgrade. Thank you.

You are quite welcome guys.

I have a big box full of extenders front and rear ready to go so order away guys, get the best looking and most functional fender extenders you can buy for your rides.  :)

PM sent for front fender extender for 2012 Concours.

Can't wait to get one of these on my bike as I commute year round in the Portlandia area  :great:

andydude said:
Hi Larry
I sent you an email on your site regardiing this and hyperlights !!

Hi, Your fender will be sent out tomorrow.
I don't have a site, you might be thinking of the MCL website, they have the hyperlights.

Larry.