• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Concours (C14) Fender Extenders Front and Rear

Blue One, is your rear fender extender as wide as the Stock C-14 Fender?
If so, it might help riders with wife's on the back..

One of the riders at Big Bend had his wife with him.
She held on by holding the grab rails beside her.
In the rain,, her hands got soaked! (from the water that comes off the rear tire)

I suggested they contact you about using your rear fender extender..

Ride safe, Ted

Jimmyzrx said:
Jimmyzrx said:
I purchased a front extender from you when will it ship? Seems like two weeks ago but I lost track lol

:))
PayPal was completed 3/11/15

It's on the way. Pony Express takes a while from here in Canada, stand by it will get there  :)
Larry.

connie_rider said:
Blue One, is your rear fender extender as wide as the Stock C-14 Fender?
If so, it might help riders with wife's on the back..

One of the riders at Big Bend had his wife with him.
She held on by holding the grab rails beside her.
In the rain,, her hands got soaked! (from the water that comes off the rear tire)

I suggested they contact you about using your rear fender extender..

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted, the rear fender extender is actually wider than the stock rear fender that it attaches to. It takes the pathetic little triangle of plastic that they put on as a rear fender and turns it into what it should have been, a functional rear fender that will help a lot with the spray and dirt that comes off the rear tire.
Lots of guys are using it because of problems like the one you posted.
Larry.

Blue One said:
Jimmyzrx said:
Jimmyzrx said:
I purchased a front extender from you when will it ship? Seems like two weeks ago but I lost track lol

:))
PayPal was completed 3/11/15

It's on the way. Pony Express takes a while from here in Canada, stand by it will get there  :)
Larry.
Thank you Larry
I did not realize you was north of me

Jimmyzrx said:
Hey Larry
Do you work for a welding supply ???

No, I teach Welding at our local trade school. The welding electrode boxes make excellent shipping boxes and the price can't be beat  :)

Well, I finally got time to put the front fender extender on yesterday and all is well.  I used ABS cement from Amazon and spring clamps from Sears to hold things together.

The brake line clips were easy to come out as mine look like a coarse plastic screw design not the split type that's on other years.  I just pryed the clips off with a flat blade and they came right out.

My bike is a 2012 Candy Arabian Red.

Good job Blue One - your design is excellent and a great example of Canadian ingenuity

ANZAC said:
Well, I finally got time to put the front fender extender on yesterday and all is well.  I used ABS cement from Amazon and spring clamps from Sears to hold things together.

The brake line clips were easy to come out as mine look like a coarse plastic screw design not the split type that's on other years.  I just pryed the clips off with a flat blade and they came right out.

My bike is a 2012 Candy Arabian Red.

Good job Blue One - your design is excellent and a great example of Canadian ingenuity

:beerchug:  Good job.  And thanks. Glad to hear you installed it and can now ride and be assured that your rad is safe.
Larry.

I'll be talking to a member this weekend that may be interested in your rear Fender Extender.
He's interested in it to keep water (mist) from coming up (and getting on his passenger) on the sides of the fender.

Can you tell me the width of the extender?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
I'll be talking to a member this weekend that may be interested in your rear Fender Extender.
He's interested in it to keep water (mist) from coming up (and getting on his passenger) on the sides of the fender.

Ride safe, Ted

I'll put a tape measure on it later when I get home and post results. I can't quite remember off the top of my head.
I can tell you that it makes the rear fender very effective at stopping the water and mist for the passenger.
I originally designed it for a buddies bike whose wife was getting drenched as a passenger on the bike and it worked very well.
Larry.

connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

The rear fender extender adds 2" of width to each side of the fender at the stock fenders widest point (near the top) It adds 4" of width on each side at the narrow point (bottom of the stock fender).
It adds 6  1/2" to the length measured from the bottom of the stock fender.
As you can see in the pictures it has a nice complimentary curve to it and makes the rear fender what it should be, a functional fender.
Hope that info helps.
Larry.

I cut some of the length off my rear extender to make room for the trailer hitch to fit over the ball. And its still long enough to do the job. The hitch will get filthy but a hose can fix that.

With summer coming I will be out on the road for extended periods of time. I will be answering messages and able to fill orders when I'm back.
If you are doing like me, preparing for summer get your order in now.  :) 
Larry.

I just received my f&r extenders several days ago and put them on this week. Larry, you make some quality parts. Thank you. I'm curious to see if the front extender will clear the wheel chock on my trailer. I'll check that out next week. I'm really looking forward to having the extra protection from wet road grime getting all over my bike. I like the look of having a real, purposeful fender over the rear wheel now. My radiator and Fiamm horns should stay cleaner now, too. Thanks again, Larry!

Larry, I was having trouble with my front extender working lose over time. So I solved the problem. I used a small grinder and roughed up the underside of the OEM fender where they match up, as well as the extender. Then used pipe cement as usual. Clamped it, and let it dry a couple days. Then I drilled and put 4 black head rivets in.

That sucker ain't never coming off!  >:D

Good thought, JR. I was thinking rivets would work just as well on the front fender as they do on the rear. Now, to get some nice black ones.

I'm surprised that you would have any issue with the front fender extender coming loose. I have done installs for local riders and when properly installed, (roughed up as instructed and glued with a proper amount of ABS solvent cement-glue) they are there for good, not coming off unless you want to destroy the fender in the process. No rivets required.
Properly done, ABS glue is almost like a chemical welding of the plastic.
A much cleaner installation.

Proper gluing and clamping along with the sealing bead of black silicone on the inside seam where the extender meets the fender insure that the joint is not infiltrated by water or dirt and helps make sure  it won't come off.

If you did decide to use rivets (shudder) the nice 1/8" black ones (large head, larger than the example posted above) I supply with the rear extender would be the way to go. ( with a 1/8" backing washer )

The 3/16" diameter  rivets are way too big. Not perfect for the job. We are only talking about holding two pieces of plastic together when talking about rivets. 1/8" rivets with the backup washers are more than adequate, larger is just overkill.
Larry.

Larry , I purchased a front fender extender for my 09 C-14 from you and I'm very pleased w/my purchase. A friend purchased the same thing for his 2014 C-14 and his looks to be shorter than mine. Did they come in different sizes or did the fender length change from factory?  His fender has the brake hose holders (plastic clips) mounted on the side of the fender but mine is on the top. Just wondering?  Thanks  ALAN in S. Fl

Alan_Yucius_FL said:
Larry , I purchased a front fender extender for my 09 C-14 from you and I'm very pleased w/my purchase. A friend purchased the same thing for his 2014 C-14 and his looks to be shorter than mine. Did they come in different sizes or did the fender length change from factory?  His fender has the brake hose holders (plastic clips) mounted on the side of the fender but mine is on the top. Just wondering?  Thanks  ALAN in S. Fl

Hi Alan, I mold the fender extenders and cut them out by hand. As such there is sometimes a small variation in overall length.

The fenders are all the same except for brake hose location.

Larry.

Blue One said:
I'm surprised that you would have any issue with the front fender extender coming loose. I have done installs for local riders and when properly installed, (roughed up as instructed and glued with a proper amount of ABS solvent cement-glue) they are there for good, not coming off unless you want to destroy the fender in the process. No rivets required.

Proper gluing and clamping along with the sealing bead of black silicone on the inside seam where the extender meets the fender insure that the joint is not infiltrated by water or dirt and helps make sure  it won't come off.

If you did decide to use rivets (shudder) the nice 1/8" black ones (large head, larger than the example posted above) I supply with the rear extender would be the way to go. ( with a 1/8" backing washer )

The 3/16" diameter  rivets are way too big. Not perfect for the job.
Larry.

Well, maybe you think I didn't install it right, but I believe you would be wrong in assuming that. And I certainly didn't make up the fact it fell off.

And my rivets are working great. Being an experienced machinist, albeit not able to stand at an engine lathe or vertical mill for at least a decade, I see nothing in the strengths of materials involved that would say otherwise.

JR said:
Blue One said:

The 3/16" diameter  rivets are way too big. Not perfect for the job.
Larry.

Well, maybe you think I didn't install it right, but I believe you would be wrong in assuming that. And I certainly didn't make up the fact it fell off.

And my rivets are working great. Being an experienced machinist, albeit not able to stand at an engine lathe or vertical mill for at least a decade, I see nothing in the strengths of materials involved that would say otherwise.

Actually I will not get into a contest with you on who is right (as it's me  ;)  )

I didn't say you made up the fact that it was falling off, however that fact confirms the following:

If it was falling off, it was not properly installed in the first place. No assuming.   

As the designer and maker of these fender extenders and having installed a great many of them myself for local riders I can assure you that if your fender extender was falling off then you installed it poorly.

When you clean properly and apply glue properly along with clamping, the ABS solvent cement practically welds the 2 pieces together.
No way it is coming off.  Period.

And I repeat, no rivets required.

I'm glad you sorted out your problem.
Larry.

Hi,
I've got my extension in the mail today .
That was quick !
:pDT_Armataz_01_37:
It looks very good and the instructions are excellent.
I don't think I'll have trouble putting it on .
:c017:
Tom

TomW said:
Hi,
I've got my extension in the mail today .
That was quick !
:pDT_Armataz_01_37:
It looks very good and the instructions are excellent.
I don't think I'll have trouble putting it on .
:c017:
Tom

You are welcome Tom.  :great:
Larry

Time is running out for pre summer orders. Soon, any orders will be on hold till near the end of August.
Ride safe and have a great summer, I know I will  :beerchug:

After having installed my f&r extenders from Larry, I have replaced both tires (f&r) and have towed my bike on my Kendon trailer. I didn't want to jack up the back of my bike to try to get the rear tire out, so I just removed the fender, which didn't take too long. I didn't know if the front extender would clear my chock or not on my trailer, but it clears it just fine. I had more people in Cortez ask me about where I got my fender extenders than any other farkle on my bike. Larry, I sent them your way!

Bigfoot_16 said:
After having installed my f&r extenders from Larry, I have replaced both tires (f&r) and have towed my bike on my Kendon trailer. I didn't want to jack up the back of my bike to try to get the rear tire out, so I just removed the fender, which didn't take too long. I didn't know if the front extender would clear my chock or not on my trailer, but it clears it just fine. I had more people in Cortez ask me about where I got my fender extenders than any other farkle on my bike. Larry, I sent them your way!

Thanks, I appreciate it. After this week, orders will be put on hold and filled at the end of August. It's riding time  :great:  Time to hit the road  :)
Larry.

On my 2010 Concours, the previous owner removed the stock fender and replaced it with just a license plate holder. Does this extender mount to the stock fender, or could I install it on my bike?

lawfarm said:
On my 2010 Concours, the previous owner removed the stock fender and replaced it with just a license plate holder. Does this extender mount to the stock fender, or could I install it on my bike?

It mounts to the stock fender.

Thanks guys. Seems that my thread has lost it's top of the page sticky status. Wonder why.  ???

Oh well I was glad to have it while it lasted. With over 30,000 views it's been great.
I will continue to make and offer the fender extenders, as usual the best available and just bump my thread from time to time.
I have been enjoying the summer, Texas has been fun.

Ride safe.
Larry.

Yesterday on my C14 I ran into some road work where the roads were being re-paved. Had to follow a pace vehicle for two miles on brand new asphalt. I could here the stuff clinking off the fender extender, sure was glad Blue One made it extra length. NO asphalt chunks on body, headers pipes or radiator guard! :great:

Undertaker said:
Yesterday on my C14 I ran into some road work where the roads were being re-paved. Had to follow a pace vehicle for two miles on brand new asphalt. I could here the stuff clinking off the fender extender, sure was glad Blue One made it extra length. NO asphalt chunks on body, headers pipes or radiator guard! :great:

Awesome, glad it worked as intended.
I'm almost ready to start shipping orders again, the road trip lasting over a month long was fun.

Larry.

Got mine awhile ago but just got the front installed. So far very rugged. I had the rear one on for a couple years, still as good as new. :great:

Cheers
Ron

Two quick questions.  Do you have to remove the front fender to install or can this be done on the bike?  Does anyone know if this will clear the front chock on a kendon trailer?  Thanks

n3nman said:
Two quick questions.  Do you have to remove the front fender to install or can this be done on the bike?  Does anyone know if this will clear the front chock on a kendon trailer?  Thanks

Lee,

I removed my front fender so that I could clean it well and prepare it for the bonding process. Plus, you want to have plenty of room to put your clamps on the fender while the bonding agent bonds the two pieces together.

I hope you bought the rear extender, too. It is great at keeping some of the gunk off of the rear of the bike. I also removed my rear fender to install the extender. I now have to remove the rear fender for tire changes. Not a big deal to me, though. I like doing the job right.

Great question. Yes, it will clear the front chock on a Kendon. I have a Kendon and have put my bike on it with the fender extenders. It clears just fine.

n3nman said:

Yes for removal of the fender.
Thanks Bigfoot your answers are spot on.

Larry.

The other extenders you see for sale are not long enough to do anything. 

Once Blues extender is on, it looks good. You barely notice it, but once you do, it matches the shape of the fender and goes well with the bike. Five out of five stars.

I'd give him 6, out of five, if he'd make one for the ninja 1000.

The other extenders you see for sale are not long enough to do anything. 

Once Blues extender is on, it looks good. You barely notice it, but once you do, it matches the shape of the fender and goes well with the bike. Five out of five stars.

I'd give him 6, out of five, if he'd make one for the ninja 1000.

I used a product to glue mine on called "shoe goo" Wal Mart has it in the shoe section. It was on for two years.

Later,    I had the opportunity to get  a brand new, never used front fender, so I paid the 10.00 asking price at the local shop.  This meant I had to transfer my old extender over.

Three hours later, I had sanded the old fender from the extender. I could not break the bond, no way, no how.

I'll 3rd this.
I think the Blue One front Extender is the best available.

Haven't bought his rear yet, as I just don't like the looks on the rear of the bike.
  (Sorry Larry)
But, I have heard it does a good job. So I keep considering it..

Ride safe, Ted

rcannon, that was great info on the sho goo..

Ok, will need to add this fender extender soon. Just rode in the rain and need some extra protection. Thanks to all for pics and feedback.

robertv said:
Ok, will need to add this fender extender soon. Just rode in the rain and need some extra protection. Thanks to all for pics and feedback.

Just drop me a message when you are ready.  :beerchug:
Larry

Hi there Blue One,

What are your prices ?  I definitely would like to get the front one and maybe the back one too later, unless you sell them as a package deal.  What about shipping ?  I'm in New Brunswick, Canada.  It would probably be cheaper to put them on the bus rather than through Canada Post... or maybe not, I'm sure you know much more about shipping than I do.

Thanks

Suz

Bikersuzzz said:
Hi there Blue One,

What are your prices ?  I definitely would like to get the front one and maybe the back one too later, unless you sell them as a package deal.  What about shipping ?  I'm in New Brunswick, Canada.  It would probably be cheaper to put them on the bus rather than through Canada Post... or maybe not, I'm sure you know much more about shipping than I do.

Thanks

Suz

I'll send you a message.

Done, check your messages.

The best way to contact me for orders is to send me a PM. I get e-mail notifications when I get a message.
Larry

Page 2 ?  Unacceptable  :))  41,277 views.  Page 1 is more appropriate.
Fender extenders in stock as always.  :beerchug:
Larry.

Wanted to add my 2 cents. I have one.
This extender helps protect the radiator more than others I've seen.
Stops the rocks that may damage it, and keeps the road debris out of the fins, to help keep the motor cooler.
Iiiii like it!

Ride safe, Ted

A recent problem a fellow encountered with installation leads me to this post.

These extenders fit very well and at this point there are many hundreds of them in service all over the globe.

The type of glue is important, as using ABS specific glue is the only way to ensure a successful and reliable install. The stock fender is made of ABS plastic as is my fender extender.

The technique of installing is as important. An adequate amount of ABS cement must be applied to both surfaces.

Before installing it is a good idea to cover the extender and the painted surface of the fender up to where the two pieces meet with blue painters tape to protect them from excess glue.

Then you can apply glue and clamp away.

Any excess glue that may squeeze out can be removed with the tape. That way the fender extender and fender are protected from the glue and clamping process.

Anyone who is not sure on their abilities regarding installation can ship their fender(s) to me for installation. All this will cost you above the cost of the extender(s) is shipping.

I install these for local riders and have had a few shipped to me as well.

Just so you know, that is an option.
Larry

Blue One said:

These extenders fit very well and at this point there are many hundreds of them in service all over the globe.

The type of glue is important, as using ABS specific glue is the only way to ensure a successful and reliable install. The stock fender is made of ABS plastic as is my fender extender.

The technique of installing is as important. An adequate amount of ABS cement must be applied to both surfaces.

Before installing it is a good idea to cover the extender and the painted surface of the fender up to where the two pieces meet with blue painters tape to protect them from excess glue.

Any excess glue that may squeeze out can be removed with the tape. That way the fender extender and fender are protected from the glue and clamping process.

Anyone who is not sure on their abilities regarding installation can ship their fender(s) to me for installation. All this will cost you above the cost of the extender(s) is shipping.

Larry

Glue included? Or can you tell me the type and or brand to use, I will be orderi g a front in the next day or two, thanks.

FTB530 said:
Blue One said:

Larry

Glue included? Or can you tell me the type and or brand to use, I will be orderi g a front in the next day or two, thanks.

I don't include glue, it only takes a small amount. I had thought of supplying glue but could not source it in small tubes to include.

The glue is easily available in most building supply stores in the plumbing department, any brand or color of ABS specific glue (solvent cement) will work.

When you are ready to order just send me a PM.
Larry.

That is what I've used.
Clean the surface , rough it up a bit and
it will never come apart again.
No screws needed.

Attachments

• abs-cement.jpg
    abs-cement.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 148
TomW said:
That is what I've used.
Clean the surface , rough it up a bit and
it will never come apart again.
No screws needed.

Absolutely ABS specific , just like chemical welding (solvent bonding). As I said, most installation problems come from the wrong glue or even not using enough glue.
There have actually been very few issues with the installation of these extenders.
Larry

Dear "Twin",,,,

Your shaming the family.  :sign0137:

(** Ohhh, the shame)  :41:

Please buy and install a nice (Blue 1) fender extender..  :19:

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Dear "Twin",,,,

Your shaming the family.  :sign0137:

(** Ohhh, the shame)  :41:

Please buy and install a nice (Blue 1) fender extender..  :19:

Ride safe, Ted

;)  Ted, He is saving the money to pay for his Ga. speeding ticket.  :'(    That had to hurt.    :banghead:              Alan in S. Fl

Hahahahaha ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry Ted! Nicole, you buy good tape :) Alan, the state of GA has cost me nearly $3,000 the past 2 years. :mad:

Blue One - I'm just happy to help push this thing to 50,000 views! Thanks for letting me 'yuck' it up a bit  :D

I love when the forum brings me comic relief between doing boring 'puter stuff  :beerchug:

So, bought my bike a few days before attending a rally that was situated at the end of a dirt road. I did what I did to get by temporarily and then mounted a radiator guard soon after getting home and sorta forgot about this. Now it's held up almost 8,000 miles and in plenty of pouring rain to boot. I may be willing to upgrade soon. I hear the Maxwell House canisters are thicker :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :D :D :nananana:

Blue One - I'll have cash at Helen - you bringing some down?!? If not. Why not?! Come play in our backyard :)

I know with your extreme driving habits,,, "money is tight".

So, out of the kindness of my heart,,  "I'll chip in $1.00 $2.00" on the Maxwell House coffee..

The blue won't look so bad. I guess it will (sorta) match your trunk lid....  :nananana:

Ride safe, Ted

And,,  he has terrible taste in fender extenders!!!  :rotflmao:

(he really needs a Blue one)

But, the Maxwell house can will look better to him. (??)  ;)
                                    :sign0103:

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry but I won't be attending Helen.  :)  I don't think the Maxwell House tin will be much of an upgrade.  :))

The rest of you guys should all chip in and buy him a proper fender extender.  :beerchug:  ;)

Larry.

Blue One said:
Sorry but I won't be attending Helen.  :)  I don't think the Maxwell House tin will be much of an upgrade.  :))

The rest of you guys should all chip in and buy him a proper fender extender.  :beerchug:  ;)

Larry.

Faisal has more money than all of us put together. So much in fact, that he's silently financing Trumps campaign :-\

Blue One said:
I have designed my own fender extender for the C14.  I  vaccum mold them myself and they are longer and provide more coverage than any other currently available fender extender for the Concours.

They are made of black textured ABS plastic. The stock fender is ABS plastic as well. Installation involves removing the fender and gluing the extender on with ABS glue available in any plumbing supply or building supply such as Home Depot or Lowes.

The extender blends in well with the Concours styling and looks OEM.

It will protect your radiator from damage, and also protect the lower cowling and oil filter and pipes area.

The price is $45 US which includes mailing to your address.  If you want to order just send me a message and I can give you an address to send paypal payment to.

Take a look at the pictures.

An edit so that you will all understand this is not brand new, there are hundreds of my extenders out in service on Concours -GTR 14's all over the world. I noticed my other thread is still on here from before as well. The pictures will appear larger on that thread ! Or you can just click on these and they get bigger  ;)

Larry.

My order was made on the 22nd and delayed by the heating element going out but its been another week and it hasn't shown up. Did it come back to you by any chance? Every time I hear a "ping" on these dirty Detroit highways I wish I had it.

Orders have been taking longer than usual to get through I don't know if it's an issue with USPS or what but all orders will eventually get there.
I had sent out a replacement for a "missing" order and then the first one showed up !
Sorry for any delays, seems to be out of my control.
So far all orders do show up, just take a long time.  :??:

A new order of plastic is in and I have molded some fronts and rears so they are ready to go.  :beerchug:

Larry.

Every Concours out there on the road that doesn't have one of my front fender extenders fitted needs one now. Before your rad is toast.  :eek:  :)

I didn't think this would be the case, but I think my fender looks better with this fender extender. So it's both functional and an enhancement.  :great:

At the Big Bend Ride a rider damaged a radiator.
Not sure if the fender extender would have prevented it (as I think it was a rock from another bike).
But, it sure wouldn't of hurt to have one.
I do. GREAT!!

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
At the Big Bend Ride a rider damaged a radiator.
Not sure if the fender extender would have prevented it (as I think it was a rock from another bike).
But, it sure wouldn't of hurt to have one.
I do. GREAT!!

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks Ted.

I actually recommend a good rad screen guard along with my fender extender just for this reason. The fender extender will help protect the rad from debris off the front tire that in some cases can plug up the fins and impede cooling. It will also help protect the lower fairing cowling.

The rad screen guard will protect from flying or bouncing rocks.
Larry