• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Correct Way to Tie Down C14 For Shipping

dgn1960

Big Wheel
I just bought a 2011 Concours C14, and need to know the correct way to tie it down for shipping.  I'm being relocated with my job, and a moving company will be handling the movement of my household goods, along with my bike.  I'd like to find out the correct way to tie it down just in case the movers are unclear how it should be done.  Sure don't want my new bike getting messed up.  The movers said they would crate the bike, but I'm afraid they are going to mess up the plastics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Strap the front down through the bottom plastic (near the radiator) and up over the triple tree, being careful of the wires on the right side.  I just put moderate tension on the rear by going through the passenger rails.  I would avoid using the handlebars as a tiedown point since they are aluminum.  I have recently added a motorcycle wheel chock to my trailer for even more secure trailering.

Yes I use the bottom triple trees. There have been people who have had the handlebars snap when using a canyon dancer on the bars. I only use the canyon dancer as a secondary back up. I keep little pressure on it.

What company will being moving you? Is your motorcycle going to be partitioned off from the rest of the goods?  I have worked in the freight industry for 6 years now and ive seen alot of motorcycles and ATV's pass through the dock or been on my route for delivery and they are always crated up, new or used it doesn't matter.  I would have it crated if it was me.

The Denali Group is handling my move from Florida to California.  They said they would crate the bike, and that's what I will insist on. 

As far as tie downs go, I found the front points on the lower triple tree, and will watch out for the wires.  The front tire must be in a chock.  Are there points farther toward the center or back of the bike that must also be tied down?  I will instruct them to not use the handlebars.

I see exposed frame around the middle of the bike on both sides, and wonder if that would be a good point to use?  How about the lower portion of the swing arm in the rear?  It just appears all these tie down points are relatively low on the bike, and I'm still concerned about tip over.

Thanks all for the guidance and advice,
Dave

dgn1960 said:
The Denali Group is handling my move from Florida to California.  They said they would crate the bike, and that's what I will insist on. 

As far as tie downs go, I found the front points on the lower triple tree, and will watch out for the wires.  The front tire must be in a chock.  Are there points farther toward the center or back of the bike that must also be tied down?  I will instruct them to not use the handlebars.

I see exposed frame around the middle of the bike on both sides, and wonder if that would be a good point to use?  How about the lower portion of the swing arm in the rear?  It just appears all these tie down points are relatively low on the bike, and I'm still concerned about tip over.

Thanks all for the guidance and advice,
Dave

You should check with all your local dealers, to see if any of them have an actual C14 crate they can give you.  I would think it would be much better to use the crate that was designed for the bike.

If they have one still in the crate, you could then see how the factory ties them down.  When I bought mine, the salesman said the only thing they had to do for setup when they take them out of the crate, is install the windshield, and one saddle bag.  Sounds easy enough to reverse that process.

BTW, you didn't mention trying to find a way to ride the bike to California.  That would have been my first choice.  Let them ship your car.  ;)