• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cousin of Connie

ridersam

Big Wheel
Due to a collision of circumstances, including utter disgust with prolonged miserable weather, I sold my 2005 Concours this spring. I made a little money on the sale, but the bike was in such like-new condition that the buyer got a good deal, too. Sadly, he didn't know enough about the Concours to realize what he had, and I think he decided it was too tall for his old hips to straddle and he re-sold it.

Anyway, I found an offer I couldn't refuse on a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 with less than 7000 miles on it, and bought the bike earlier this month. It had a windshield on it that was too tall, so I had a glass shop cut that down to size for me, added some saddlebag supports, and slapped on some Saddlemen bags I had from a Maxim 700. It's good to go. In fact, I've already put about 1500 miles on it just ramming around.

I think of the Vulcan 750 as a cousin to the Concours 1000, because Kawasaki started making them both about the same time, stopped making them about the same time, and they both have shaft drive. Maybe that's about all they have in common except my admiration and respect.

The Vulcan 750 is a funny bike. It’s a V-twin cruiser that was probably influenced by the Harley Sportster more than classic big cruisers. My 2002 is almost identical to the Vulcan 750s built in the 1980’s. It’s still got a tach, center stand, fuel guage, flashers … a lot of the practical stuff that seemed to fall off mid-size bikes through the 90’s and early this century. Form follows function at a serious distance on this bike. There’s no apparent respect for symmetry in the design. The right mirror is closer to the rider than the left, the left exhaust extends further to the back than the right.

The overall look of the bike suggests some pretty serious intent, but some of the details are almost silly. The left assembly of tin cans called an exhaust pipe is covered by a series of shiny chrome cans that form a nice heat shield all the way from the exhaust manifold to the end of the tail pipe. On the right side, the chrome heat shield starts from behind the rider’s heel to the end of that tail pipe. That leaves a large section of bare exhaust pipe extending from the manifold to below the rider’s foot. On my bike that section is various shades of blue and purple plus a big glob of black. The black glob used to be my boot heel.

Still, it’s an easy ride. It’s slung pretty low and isn’t particularly heavy, so it’s easy to push around the driveway and parking places. I think the gear box is better matched to the engine than any other bike I’ve owned or ridden. The result is that the engine always seems relaxed, especially at highway speeds. Four thousand smooth and quiet RPMs get you 50 mph in 4th gear and 60 mph in 5th. The bike has enough torque to be very forgiving about gear selection; but 2nd is not a good choice for starting from a dead stop. I think 2nd thru 5th are geared a little taller than most bikes, especially compared to the Connie.

It’s got plenty of unexciting power. The speedometer always surprises me, because it generally feels like I’m just slugging along, even at take-off. When I think I’m climbing up to 30 mph, I’m actually hitting 50 or 60. That can take some of the sin out of speed sinsations; but it’s great on the expressways and interstates. At expressway speeds, it’s the most stable feeling bike I’ve ridden and the engine seems to be half asleep. Pushed over 80 mph, though, it comes out of its slumber a little angrily. Some discomfort creeps into the foot pegs and the engine takes on a whiny growl. It’s plenty capable of high speeds, but not particularly happy in that range. It’s as if the bike is saying, “I give you plenty of sugar between 45 and 75. If you don’t give a damn about scenery and you’re all about record times between destinations, maybe you should consider a different bike. I’m a Confident, Comfortable, C-something Cruiser; not a dragster.” None-the-less, I’ve twisted it to 110 mph a couple times, and it didn’t take long to get there. At those speeds, though, no matter what bike I’m on or car I’m in, I always get the impression that anything over 100 mph should be reserved for airplanes and other flying machines.

So, what do I miss most about my Connie? That big gas tank, and those huge, locking, hard-sided bags. That was my Sacred Kaw, and this is my KawaKomfi.

A nice write up. But I am wondering whether I should move this to the other bikes section. By the way welcome.

I think if there was a cousin to Connie it would be the Eliminator. I don't see any relation to the Vulcan, other than shaft drive.

Feel free to move my post where ever you see fit, Cap'n Bob. I joined COG in October last year (right after buying my Connie) and had several posts. Maybe those were in the Fanatics forum, but my login doesn't work over there. Where have all the old pre-March-eleven posts gone from the two forums?

Anyway, I appreciate the "welcome," even though I know I'm crashing the party now that I'm not a Concours owner. Maybe I'm stretching things a little with the Connie cousin thing; but I'm still a big Concours fan, if that counts.

Sam

Your not crashing the party. Everybody is welcome here. FWIW, I have a Vulcan that is the sister to my Concours.  :)  So your more that welcome to hang around (Even if you don't have the Connie anymore). But since you don't mind. I will move this over to the other bike section, because I think it is a more fitting spot for the thread, it being mostly about a bike.  Again, welcome and feel free to hang around. Were an equal opportunity club and forum. The Concours just happens to be our main participants!  8)