• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cruise Control on the 2012, I think So!

It would appear that is the case, although why dont they show it on the American site?  If the Canadian model has it and the American model doesnt... :-[  :confuse: :38:  :violent-smiley-007:

I agree with Steve.  The icon definitely shows that it includes cruise control.  Could still just be an error.  Keeping in mind safely and warantee integrity, we in the US would never consider adopting the Canadian option to our own bikes.  ::)

By the way, nice catch. ;D

I got a look at a US model 2012 yesterday. Other than the black wheels, I could not see any changes on it from the 2010/11 bike.

they really should make a way to upgrade the older bikes to fit the new cruise control feature that would be great, I would love to take my bike to a dealer next year and have a factory cruise control installed,  that is the one feature I missed from buying a kawasiki over the bmw even my harley has cruise

I went through the parts fiche for the 2012 C14 at kawasaki.ca and I cannot find a cruise control in the fiche. There is no listing of it in accessories, either.

I think this is a case of wishful thinking, but count me in as a wishful thinker, I'd love to be able to purchase a factory option, even if dealer installed, cruise control.

When I finally get mine, I'm putting electronic cruise control on it, factory or aftermarket, its going on.

I wish Kawasaki would put a factory electronic cruise control on the C-14, that would guarantee them at least one customer would up grade to a new bike.....me.  ;)

Privateer said:
I went through the parts fiche for the 2012 C14 at kawasaki.ca and I cannot find a cruise control in the fiche. There is no listing of it in accessories, either.
Whoa - parts fiche on kawasaki.ca? Gotta link? I can't find one and I've got a mygarage login too

not a US option for 2012, and adding an aftermarket voids the warranty. I've gone with the KAOKO throttle lock for now. Too many electronics on the bike to do something that voids the warranty!

Hey motodoc, I bought a kaoko and did a quick fit yesterday and found it's too tight to the throttle and interferes when its not engaged. Did you have to do any mods to make your fit right?

None, it fit great. The instructions say to file the bar end if it isn't a complete fit over the cone. I did not do that as it still fit soundly. Mine works great. Did you do the recomended filing? That I think would put the kaoko too close and could cause interference. Also make sure the alen screw in the nob is loose then you may be able to back it out further. If you didin't do the bar-end filing and the alen is loose, then they sent you the wrong one.

Nope, no filing as I didn't want to do that unless I was sure. I didn't back off the knob though. I bet that's it. Thanks!

slidebite said:
Nope, no filing as I didn't want to do that unless I was sure. I didn't back off the knob though. I bet that's it. Thanks!

You're welcome. Hope it works for you, I like mine.

motodoc said:
not a US option for 2012, and adding an aftermarket voids the warranty. I've gone with the KAOKO throttle lock for now. Too many electronics on the bike to do something that voids the warranty!

Here we go again.. :(    if they are telling you that any aftermarket mods void the warranty they are in violation of the law. 

Look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

It has a LOT of legal mumbo jumbo in it, but one of the most important provisions of the Act prohibits a warrantor from disclaiming or modifying any implied warranty whenever any written warranty is given or service contract entered into.

This means that, under the provisions of this act, they cannot void your warranty because your vehicle has been modified with aftermarket parts. They have to prove that the failure was the direct result of the installed aftermarket part.  For example If you install a cruise control and it binds the throttle cable and snaps the cable they CAN refuse to warranty the cable, but CANNOT say they won't warranty a head bearing because you installed a cruise control

So in short, the cruise will NOT void your warranty unless you do something with the cruise that directly causes a problem (Which is another reason I prefer the Mccruise units, there is no splicing or cutting etc, it's plug and play for the most part)

*(Note, I am NOT an attorney so this is NOT legal advice, but look this up for yourselves!) :)

Interesting. I will have to look it up. I hope you are right, because to install a cruise control on my genesis II R-spec also voids the warranty according to the dealer.
As for the cruise on the concours- man, what if they can disclaim warranty on the electrical because of it? That is what I'm most worried about on the bike!

motodoc said:
slidebite said:

You're welcome. Hope it works for you, I like mine.

+1
Installed a Kaoko I picked up from twisted Throttle while at Americade. Works great!!

motodoc said:
Interesting. I will have to look it up. I hope you are right, because to install a cruise control on my genesis II R-spec also voids the warranty according to the dealer.
As for the cruise on the concours- man, what if they can disclaim warranty on the electrical because of it? That is what I'm most worried about on the bike!

They have to PROVE it was the cause of the issue first.  As far as I know they CANNOT void the warranty just for a Cruise control....

I put MCCruise on my 08 2 months after I bought it. The dealer had no problem with it being on the bike. He never had an issue with the cruise effecting the warranty.

My dealer asked me about my McCruise and wanted to know who installed it. I told him I did. They really liked it. And they had no problem with it being there when it came to warranty work.

Mad River Marc said:
motodoc said:

They have to PROVE it was the cause of the issue first.  As far as I know they CANNOT void the warranty just for a Cruise control....

This is the crux of the issue. Its all in the eye of the dealer. If the dealer thinks a modification caused the problem, they can refuse to repair it under warranty.

As much as I've done to my ZX14, my dealer doesn't even blink about about it. If you have a good dealer, its cool. A bad dealer, not so cool.

If the dealer refuses to work on it you can find another dealer. 

Back when I was doing car electronics in college (Stereo's, Remote Starters etc) a local Hyundai dealer tried to deny warranty work on a transmission saying that "The Remote Start voided the warranty"  We called our local DA's office and filed a complaint and the owner took it to another dealer who did the work without complaint

It's all about knowing your rights and exercising them

Mad River Marc said:
If the dealer refuses to work on it you can find another dealer. 

Back when I was doing car electronics in college (Stereo's, Remote Starters etc) a local Hyundai dealer tried to deny warranty work on a transmission saying that "The Remote Start voided the warranty"  We called our local DA's office and filed a complaint and the owner took it to another dealer who did the work without complaint

It's all about knowing your rights and exercising them

Except KHI has more rights in deciding what is warranty work than the customer does. Which it grants to its dealers.

I agree, take it to another dealer, and be sure to let the refusing dealer know they will never get another dime from you.

In Maryland, where I live, if a Kawk dealer says "not covered by warranty due to ABC being installed", thats the end of it. You cannot go to the DA's office because its not a criminal issue.

With cars, federal and state lemon laws exist, which a DA might be interested in enforcing.

Which bugs me, I should have invoked them on my old Cavalier about 1 year after I purchased it (cash). Its way too late to do it now. LOL.

Lemon laws apply to motorcycles as well,  they apply to any Motor Vehicle AFAIK

As to the be all/end all,  it may not be the DA you need to appeal to (it was 20 years ago, memory is a bit hazy LOL), but there is a governing body you can file a complaint with and trust me Kawi does NOT want you doing that since they could get hit with fines etc if they are in violation. 

If you come in with a fried electrical harness and they see you spliced into something for any mod they would be within their rights to deny warranty claim, but they cannot refuse to warranty brakes because you have a Starcom or fuzeblock installed :)

True, the dealer has to consider the mod a direct cause of the problem to prevent warranty service/repair.

Mad River Marc said:
Not consider....Prove...

My experience with dealers over the last 40+ years, including two times they refused to fix something under warranty (not like I EVER mod my bikes, ya know) is they don't have to prove squat.

If you want to make a case out of it, you have to write Kawasaki USA and wait for a response. If you escalate it to a lemon law issue before you give Kawasaki USA a chance to respond, you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Or just find a better dealer. Thats what I always did. Never went back to either of them what refused me.