• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dakota Digital Air Temp Gage Sensor Questions

rlievenski4555

I bought a very cool digital gage for air temperature, compass direction, and elevation to add to my 09’ C14. The unit is supposed to be plug and play for a 96’-2013’ HD bagger. Regardless… all I need is power, ground, and the lead for the sensor.

So far, I am on my third sensor that does not work. I found out that the OEM gage has an ohm range of 18.6 to 322.8.

Sensor #1 is white and from a 2003 Electra Glide Standard. I am not convinced it is for ambient air as there are 3 pins in the connector.

Sensor #2 has a single bolt attachment and is from a 2011 Dyna Glide. The resistance at roughly 75 degrees is around 2.8 K ohms (2800 ohms).

Sensor #3 has a two bolt attachment and fits a 2011 Road Glide. It reads roughly 2.4 K ohms at 75 degrees (2400 ohms).

Seems hard to believe that HD would engineer vastly different sensors across models… but it IS HD.

I would like to know from our expert folks what models would be considered baggers for HD from 96-2013. This would be helpful to try to find the right sensor.

A guy on YouTube put a HD air temp gage on his laser. He had similar problems and ended up making his own sensor with a thermistor. I am open to such an idea; however, have no idea how to size one that takes the wiring resistance into account.

Anyone have any helpful information?

Thanks!

I found a wiring diagram for an 03' HD Electra Glide and realize that only the outer 2 pins are active. When I hooked up the leads and checked with my multimeter, the resistance seemed right. Low and behold... I connected to the gage and get a correct temperature! I will provide pictures when I finish with the install.

The project is complete and I love the new gage. It adds value to previously wasted space. The digital readout has similar characteristics to the OEM unit above the gage. It is great to have the compass heading and even altitude while wandering the back roads. I am very happy with the results. Let me know if anyone wants details if interested in adding to their ride.IMG_1102.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpeg
    IMG_1105.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 43