• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

do any rear tires last on the c14?? (pr2)

JS_racer

Street Cruiser
got 5k out of 1 and have 4500 on this one. tire is almost bald, tread is gone. never pinned it on this tire trying to get it to last.
pressures were 42 for the life of the tire, should they be different to help ware ?? i ride south east mn and south west wi mainly.
should i put another pr2, go pr3, or try a bt23 (new pr2 up front) ?? the bike is fun as hell, but less than 5k on a tire is getting old. 14k on the bike, and on my 3rd set of tires.

thanks much for the time,
Joel

I noticed my rear tire life go down once I yanked the flies! I guess the C14 actually having a little low end power isn't good on tires!  :))  If your wearing out the PR2 is less than 5K. You have a problem. Because I don't know if there
s any other tires that get better mileage, that actually will let the bike turn.  ???

I cant speak to the C14 and tires specifically because i have only owned mine for about a month.

However, i know from my racing and trackday experience that if you are wearing out tires too quickly, it usually is a suspension set-up issue.  make sure you have your static sag set for your size, and your preload and rebound are well set for the type of riding that you do.  that will go a long way to making the tires last longer, and work better.

just my 2 cents

I have the 023's on my 09 and so far they are looking good, a buddy with a Honda ST1300 got 12,000 from a rear 023 on his bike.

Sorry if this is going off-topic (I'll create a new thread if needed).

I'm on my second set of tires and once again, my rear is developing a serious flat "spot" down the center. Granted, 99% of my riding is interstate so some flattening is expected, but this is far more extreme than any other bike I've owned. Is there anything I can do to reduce the flattening of the center? I tried running 44psi on this set (Z8's)  as opposed to the 42psi I ran on the OEMs and while it helps some, it's still pretty severe. I'm thinking it may be the weight on the bike (other than me!) so I'm considering removing my side cases when I go to a third set of tires to see if that helps.

It's pretty frustrating to change tires out due to flattening rather than the usual tread wear.  :(

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Big Poppa said:

I'm on my second set of tires and once again, my rear is developing a serious flat "spot" down the center. Granted, 99% of my riding is interstate so some flattening is expected, but this is far more extreme than any other bike I've owned. Is there anything I can do to reduce the flattening of the center? I tried running 44psi on this set (Z8's)  as opposed to the 42psi I ran on the OEMs and while it helps some, it's still pretty severe. I'm thinking it may be the weight on the bike (other than me!) so I'm considering removing my side cases when I go to a third set of tires to see if that helps.

It's pretty frustrating to change tires out due to flattening rather than the usual tread wear.  :(

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Actually increasing the pressure will probably make it wear more in the center yet. Reducing the pressure might spread out the wear a little. But if just about all your riding is on the highway, what else would you expect?

Average 6k on a PR2 rear here. I am on the gas a lot. This bigass sport bike is a hoot out of corners on the gas. It's a heavy bike and an aggressive throttler will eat tires. I don't see any way around it boys....The price I pay...

Still waiting on the PR3 rear...currently have 8300+ on the oem 021 rear and not on the wear bars. The front's a little ugly. I'm a pretty conservative rider though. I'm expecting at least 10-12 out of the PR3's.  ;D

Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:
Still waiting on the PR3 rear...currently have 8300+ on the oem 021 rear and not on the wear bars. The front's a little ugly. I'm a pretty conservative rider though. I'm expecting at least 10-12 out of the PR3's.  ;D

That front was a little ugly last month in Wellsboro!  :-\

Cap'n Bob said:
Wayne_Sikorski_NJ said:

That front was a little ugly last month in Wellsboro!  :-\

Ok..a LOT ugly.  :rotflmao:

well, here is my plan. i know i get 4500-5000 out of a rear pr2. i am getting a bt-023 installed today to see how it lasts, figure it cant be any worse than i get now. the miles i crank on, I'll need another rear before the MN winter kicks in.
might be more pr2 to pr3 comparisons by then for mileage.

Joel

Big Poppa said:

With 21K on my 09 1400gtr, I have seen some surprising tire wear with the OEM's, PR2"s, and Z8's. I'm very careful with tire pressure.

I tried 42 psi front and rear on a set of z8's but I didn't like the tire pressure gain cold to warm so I increased the pressures to 45psi cold.  With 45psi cold and 49 psi hot, my Z8 front had major cupping within 800 miles.  I replaced the Z8 front with a Dunlop Roadsmart and found that the Z8 rear ran cooler with less psi gain cold to hot.  Because I was looking for a 3psi gain measuring the tire pressure cold and the tire pressure when the tires was hot, I dropped the rear tire pressure to 40psi cold to see area if I could get more pressure gain as the tire warmed up .  After 500 miles at 40 psi/cold, the flat appeared on the center line of the tire.  After 100 miles since I increased the pressure back to 42 psi/cold, the flat is starting to disappear.

From my experience with my 1400gtr, if you are seeing the 'serious flat "spot" down the center.' your tire pressures are probably tooo low.  Be aware however, if your have the tire pressures are too high your tires may not be warm enough for proper handling

Front and Rear 021 at 8500+ miles. New tires tomorrow.
IMG_0208.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg

well, the 023 is on, had a chance to test it good in the twisties for 400+ miles yesterday. Very nice and felt as good as the pr2 that came off. nothing unexpected, just smooth and lots of grip. hope this thing lasts, but i need my fun in the twisties.  ;D
if i still enjoy the rear, i may put the 023 up front, never thought i would run a stone up front again after the 021 on two bikes looking like stop signs.

not sure the rating, but i used to have the dunlop sportmax q2 front and back, and would be lucky to get 5000 out of the pair. i recently went to Michelin pilot road 2s on the rear, and the q2 up front (had a spare q2 i bought on sale in the garage). i have @1200 on the set and the rear still looks good. the q2 tires would wear out fast (flat spot on back wearing down to the wires, major cupping on the front) but they are sportbike tires good to 180mph+ and Aretha is a heavy girl.

I think the area in which you ride is one of many, many, variables that can affect the mileage.  Wayne's tires look remarkable to me because mine were toast @ about 4500 miles. (yes, I live where it is hot, flat, and stupid)  I think I've seen 6000 max on any tires I've tried, Storms, Angels, PR2's, etc.  Also, it's been my experience that tires wear faster @ the end of their life--I can see an increase in temps on my other bike's TPS during the last half of the mileage life of my tires--so what they look like @ 1200 miles doesn't necessarily tell the tale.  Do your best at keeping track of the pressure and don't worry, you'll still get to try many tires...

I have 3600 miles on the OEM's and the rear looks good ... the front looks bad ... its getting replaced soon.

MKorn said:
I have 3600 miles on the OEM's and the rear looks good ... the front looks bad ... its getting replaced soon.

Do yourself a favor and replace the rear also, you will be amazed how well the Connie handles

COGnosticat0r said:
MKorn said:

Do yourself a favor and replace the rear also, you will be amazed how well the Connie handles

:iagree:

+1 one to that!!

I ordered a PR2 for the front yesterday.
  after just ( last week) replacing the cabin roof and now i have to replace the house roof ... i just dont have the cash to replace the rear atm.

i think this bike handles great as is ... i sure hope the improvement is a much as ya'll say ... i will be stoked.

I have 3,400 miles on my OEM 021's. Rear has a little bit of a flat spot, but still seems to have a lot of miles left. (Chicken strip is about 1/4" or less.) Miles are probably 60% Interstate and most of the rest backroads and some twisties. Hot Texas highways and throttle power tend to flatten the centers.

Front is showing slight cupping, but not bad ... ... yet. Will keep an eye on it as the summer progresses.

I've stuck with 42 psi "cold" temp, but after reading some of the discussions on the board I'm going to increase that a couple of psi. Well, at least through the summer.

I'm thinking PR3's for the next set, but that's not carved in stone yet.

At almost 50,000, I'm on my 7th set of tires. OEM Battlax, then 2 sets of Metzeler Z-6 Interac's, 2 sets of Pirelli Angel ST and now I am running Conti Attack 2's. The best mileage was from the Angel ST's and the best handling is the Conti's. I have about 4,000 miles on the Attack 2's and it looks like I'll get another 2000 miles.
In the trade off between sticky and mileage, I pick the Angel ST's.

Just over 3,000 miles on the OEM 021s and front looks good, but noticing a little cupping already on the rear. I'm guessing 4500 is going to be about max on this set, and am planning for the PR3s when the time is right. I will probably do both front and rear at same time, but I have a quick question, is it critical to replace both at same time? Could there be an issue with running different brands/composition from front to rear?

I would replace both at the same time, however i dont see an issue with running two similar tires. I have a PR2 on the back, and the Dunlop Q2 sportmax (sport bike tire) on the front. they were installed at the same time, and i havent noticed any wierd feelings from the pair yet. Jake Wilson and Motorcycle Super Store are always running sales on tires so you should be able to get a pretty good deal.

Thanks Rick - and yes, that is what I was thinking. On my other motorcycles I have usually gotten two rear tires, for every on front, but was always replacing with the same type tire. I will probably continue the same on the C14, but have always wondered if there would be an issue if changing brands from front to back. Thanks again and let's ride!

Nick said:
At almost 50,000, I'm on my 7th set of tires. OEM Battlax, then 2 sets of Metzeler Z-6 Interac's, 2 sets of Pirelli Angel ST and now I am running Conti Attack 2's. The best mileage was from the Angel ST's and the best handling is the Conti's. I have about 4,000 miles on the Attack 2's and it looks like I'll get another 2000 miles.
In the trade off between sticky and mileage, I pick the Angel ST's.

I loved the way my RT handled with the Contis'.  I plan to run a set on my C14 just to see how I like them.  Your mileage is about the same as I was getting on the RT.