• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Dog Days Ride 22-25 AUG 2013

KLRIDER

It'll soon be time for another great escape to the cool Mountain State for the Dog Days ride. Dates for the event are 22-23-24-25 August 2013.

The host facility will be the Inn at Snowshoe, which is located on Route 66 very close to Route 219. I just talked with our host, Mark Barnes, at The Inn and room rates for our COG group will be $69.00 + tax per night, single or double occupancy, which includes a brekkie each morning.  We won't be into the reservation system until NEXT weekend, so please wait until then to book your rooms. The room reservation line will be 877-441-4386.

Thursday and Sunday will be travel days to and from the event for most, with suggested ride routes available for Friday and Saturday. There will be some 'mostly' paved routes and some 'mostly not' paved routes to chose from.

Details will soon be posted here and on the COG calendar.

Excellent riding is in the offing here, with lodging at a comfortable, kick-back place. I look forward to seeing you there! 

I was starting to worry there wasn't going to be a Dog Days WV Weekend this year because the National is the end of August.  Glad to see I was worrying for nothing.

If I am not on crutches then, or in the hospital, will definitely go to this. Last year was fun.  :beerchug:

klrider said:
It'll soon be time for another great escape to the cool Mountain State for the Dog Days ride. Dates for the event are 22-23-24-25 August 2013.

The host facility will be the Inn at Snowshoe, which is located on Route 66 very close to Route 219. I just talked with our host, Mark Barnes, at The Inn and room rates for our COG group will be $69.00 + tax per night, single or double occupancy, which includes a brekkie each morning.  We won't be into the reservation system until NEXT weekend, so please wait until then to book your rooms. The room reservation line will be 877-441-5966 or 304-572-5966.

....[/quote

Is this the lodge at the base of the mountain near the store/gas station?
sweet price man, I hope to be able to swing this ride!!!
ain't been over to see the Rella's in a couple years.... :great:
Gotta find a "dog sitter" soon... :rotflmao: :motonoises: :motonoises: :beerchug:

DOG DAYS RIDE is on the calendar for 2013!

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=183137&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272013%2D08%2D12%27%7D

They are just now getting the details into their system for reservations, so starting 01 APRIL 2013, call and reserve your room. A block of 20 rooms will be held for us up to 30 days before 22 August, after which you would pony up more bux. When you do call be sure to mention COG DOG DAYS RIDE for the excellent room rate.

This will be an excellent venue with WV Route 66 at your door. Just add your COG friends; the perfect weather has been ordered .

Just a little over five moons away. See you there!  :great:

Dog Days attendees!

Here is the info I just received on the Inn at Snowshoe for our Dog Days lodging:

Please contact Central Reservations at 877-441-4386 to book your lodging accommodations.  To ensure that you reserve a room in the room block, at the guaranteed room rate, please identify the name of your group and provide the reservations agent your

Group Code: 5109UY

The cut-off date for making reservations is July 22, 2013, after which rooms will be sold on a space-available basis.  Below are the rooms and rates available for Concours Owners Group - Dog Days Ride:

Room Single Rate Double Rate Triple Rate Quad Rate
Inn at Snowshoe Hotel 69.00 69.00 75.50 82.00

A one night deposit is required at the time of booking.
Room rates quoted above DO NOT include sales tax (currently 6%) and lodging tax (currently 6%).  Taxes are subject to change. 
Rates for accommodations will vary depending on occupancy and type of accommodations.

Each complex has dedicated parking for lodging guests only.  Fees may apply for parking in other areas. 

Any accommodations outside of those in the room block above will vary in cost depending on location and occupancy.

Extend your stay!  Snowshoe Mountain invites you to extend your stay at your group rate (subject to availability and may not be combined with other offers).

There ya have it. They need a couple days to get this into their reservations system, so starting next week should be fine to BOOK THOSE ROOMS.

My room is reserved.  :great:

I'm working up some ride routes now. Yeah, already. It wlil be August before ya know it.  :motonoises:

Use the telly number and group code in the last post and BOOK THOSE ROOMS. 

Might do this as part of a long two week tour instead of the National this year. Still trying to make up my mind, tbh. Was thinking of going to Québec, then down to Key West.

Time, and money, will tell.

I had also considered the National this year. 2047 miles, 31 hours from Snowshoe. I've done more, but sounds like a "day trip" to me. Anyone care to tag-along?    :))

connieklr said:
I had also considered the National this year. 2047 miles, 31 hours from Snowshoe. I've done more, but sounds like a "day trip" to me. Anyone care to tag-along?    :))

Just got approval from work for two weeks off, to ride to the National, then the west coast, and back again.

Now to just sell my C10 to help cover the costs, and I might be able to do both!

Hopefully next payday (next Wednesday) I will be able to book my room. They want to charge the first night and I'm broke right now. State doesn't pay very much unfortunately.

Well, and I've got a few medical bills where things aren't covered by insurance, and that adds up fast. But I'll get-er done!  :beerchug:

RATS - Looks like my surgery is a go for late August or early September, so I can't schedule this. Next year... I'll be retired and won't miss anything unless I'm tooling around on the other coast.

voileauciel said:
connieklr said:

Just got approval from work for two weeks off, to ride to the National, then the west coast, and back again.

Now to just sell my C10 to help cover the costs, and I might be able to do both!

Two weeks isn't going to give you much time for riding other than on the Interstate when trying to cover that much ground.  I used 28 days when I rode out to Colorado, then down to Taos, New Mexico, then up to Glacier National Park in Montana before coming home.  If I had cut the time in half I would have missed a lot more than what I did miss with 28 days to work with.  I did manage to ride a lot of passes over 10,000 feet in Colorado and see the Tetons in Wyoming and Going to the Sun Highway in Glacier but there were so many more things I had to pass up. 

Still you have got to work with the time you have and decide what will give you the best quality experience.  Only you can know what that means at any moment in your life.  Enjoy!

It is roughly 31 hours riding time (plus gas etc.) from Western Maryland to Idaho Falls. With average highway speed set to 70 mph.

I am guessing Chris is something like +1 or so by the time he hits interstate going the right direction.

So he could be in Idaho Falls in two 19.5 hour days (including 2 hours for gas, food, bathroom breaks), or three 14ish hour days with the same included gas etc. hours.

Realistically, 4 days of 10+ hours or 5 days of reasonable riding time.

Then the west coast is only another 800 miles or so. Which is still a good long piece of asphalt!

On the other hand, we know east to west can be done much faster, and I drove it in a car with a co-driver in 34-some hours back in the mid-1970s.

JR said:
It is roughly 31 hours riding time (plus gas etc.) from Western Maryland to Idaho Falls. With average highway speed set to 70 mph.

I am guessing Chris is something like +1 or so by the time he hits interstate going the right direction.

So he could be in Idaho Falls in two 19.5 hour days (including 2 hours for gas, food, bathroom breaks), or three 14ish hour days with the same included gas etc. hours.

Realistically, 4 days of 10+ hours or 5 days of reasonable riding time.

Then the west coast is only another 800 miles or so. Which is still a good long piece of asphalt!

On the other hand, we know east to west can be done much faster, and I drove it in a car with a co-driver in 34-some hours back in the mid-1970s.

First stop on the way for me is Barrington, IL, to visit a friend. Then it's on to Rapid City, SD the next day. Third day will see me arriving in Idaho Falls.

Doing three days at the National, then a night in Reno. Next day is off to San Francisco to visit another friend. Going to spend Saturday hanging out, figured I'd clean the bike up a bit, etc.

Then it's off to the Grand Canyon from there. Going to spend a day, then head to Amarillo, TX, to see another friend. Then it's two more days to get home.

I'm leaving on 8/23 and probably won't be home until 9/11, as I might swing down into Florida to see my maternal grandmother (she's 83, so, well...)

I don't mind long days on the road. To be honest, that's the only place I ever really want to be.  :)

I hate I am going to miss this one this year.  I am heading to California, via a lot of places in between during that time.  My son really enjoyed the rally last year and there is some great riding in that area.  Y'all have fun, I know you will  ;D

COGnosticat0r said:
I hate I am going to miss this one this year.  I am heading to California, via a lot of places in between during that time.  My son really enjoyed the rally last year and there is some great riding in that area.  Y'all have fun, I know you will  ;D

Its going to be a good one!

If I was already retired, I'd head out a week early and tool my way there, stay a week, and head back the same way. Maybe in 2015 the National will be way out West or way down South and I can do it that way.

When I was younger, I would do long days like Chris says he likes to do, but I hate long days now, and would rather take my time. Not that I don't ride fast a lot, mind you.  :motonoises:

Just booked mine and Tom's room.  The lady was super nice, she told me that some guy named Pat had just called before me and she also booked a Paul.  She said they were both very nice to speak with.  We spoke for about 20 minutes!!

Looks like COG is off to a great start for this event.

I'm coming up a day early on Wed so I'll have Thursday as an entire riding day.  Looking forward to this one.

BOOK THOSE ROOMS!

Just made my reservations at the Inn. Musta been the same lady; super nice and very accommodating.

We'll be coming over Thursday.

I just spent 2 nights at the Inn at Snowshoe...........

Rooms are good.
Nice indoor pool and hot tub.
Happy hour 5-7 with $1.00 drafts!  :beerchug:

Good pizza across the street and good food down the road at the intersection of 219. The Fiddlehead Bar/rest.
http://fiddleheadrestaurant.com/

A riding friend of mine is part owner in this restaurant at the top of the mtn.
http://www.southmountaingrille.com/#
He's offering a 10% discount to anyone that mentions COG.
It's a bit pricy, but some of friends went there Saturday night and the one guy said it was the best meal he had ever eaten.

jason

Thanks for your ++ comments on the Inn, Jason. Hope that the GTS event went well.

COG + Food =  :great:

COG + Food + Discounts =  :great: :great:

I'm working up two street rides of ~ 250-300 miles and two dool sport rides of 200-245 miles right now. Of course, there are some good restaurants about in the middle of those.  I will be proof riding the "Peru Gap" section next week on the DRZ, and camping a couple nights in the Mountain State. 

Yes, it's a tough job, but I just force myself to get on the bike, and after about 300 miles or so, it ain't really all that bad! 

:))

Oh well, looks like I won't be making it to WV after all. :'(

My son's move in day for college is that Friday so I'll be in East Stroudsburg settling him in.  Empty wallet and an emptier nest.  Have fun and ride a few twisties for me! :motonoises:

Due to an unknown medical problem that's causing an balance and equilibrium issue, I've had to back out of this and cancelled my reservation at the Inn. More tests coming up in the following week. Until this gets resolved, I'm pretty much grounded - which sucks!

Guy, I am really sorry to hear this.

Hope that this is resolved quickly and you're back in the saddle very soon!

Take care,

Hey guys............

I'm missing Dog Days this year.

Can't bitch too much, as we're off on a 16 day tour of the Balkans with Adriatic Motor tours. Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro and the Dalmatian Coast.

You guys have fun and keep the rubber on the road! Snowshoe is sure a fun place to ride. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone's pictures.

See you at Canaan in September.
jason

Sorry you can't be with us, Jason. Looks like a fun tour you have lined up, though.

And while you are touring the Balkans, we'll be trekking through Peru, Brandywine, Canaan, and Bismark, not to mention Bergoo and Possum Trot!

Guys, don't forget your PASSPORT (scotch) and VISA (credit card)!  ;)

Maybe see you at OWO in October.

Coggers and Coggettes............

It's just nine days until we gather up at Snowshoe, lighten our bikes, and get ready for some fun! Of course, getting to Snowshoe isn't exactly 'hard labour'.

I have two streety routes and two dirty routes done up for your entertainment. In the Mountain State, either of these will get you off the beaten path. There are (still) some good restaurants in the area and we'll try to help them stay in business, while riding and afterwards.

It'll be a bit cooler over there, 40s to 90s. Please DO bring your camera to share pix with COG later.

Making a list.......add, check........delete, ummmmm.....? Just add more air and bring it all!  :beerchug:

Hope to see you soon!  :great:

This is the ORIGINAL Dog Days ride weekend. Except no other substitutes. The riding area is awesome (hard to find a bad road) and cooler temperatures in the West Virginia mountains offer pleasant relief from the heat of the dog days of summer.  Pat and crew know how to plan an event and provide some great sample routes that you can build off of.

I put the DS routes in Mapsource last night.  If anyone wants them shoot me an email at someror@gmail.com and I'll forward them to you.

No gaurantees that I got it right!  I was going off the route sheet, Mapsource, WV map and WV gazetteer.  Should be close!

This just in from Mark, the sales guy at the Inn at Snowshoe. I don't think this will affect us, as I believe the road closure is up above where we will be staying. BUT.....it is a heads UP that there will be MANY bicyclists riding on the area roads, too.

No cell phone service. My kind of place!  :great:

Hi Patrick,

Just wanted to pass this information on for your group.

Also, remember your cell phones will not work in this area but I think we discussed that.

Please let me know if you need any other info and I hope you have a great weekend of riding!

Mark

Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 5:10 PM
To: _All at Snowshoe
Subject: Snowshoe Drive Temporary Road Closure 8/24/13

Snowshoe Drive will be temporarily closed to traffic on Saturday, August 24th from 8:00am-8:30am for the start of the Chomolungma Challenge bike race. The road will be closed from the Brigham Center Loop to the entrance of the Western Territory trail system (Vantage Inn parking lot). Please post for employees without access to email and inform our guests as necessary. Thank you.

Preston Cline

Risk Manager

www.snowshoemtn.com

304.572.5895 - office

304.642.9313 - cell

304.572.5964 - fax

I haven't officially backed out, but it looks like a I may not make some, or all of this fun weekend.  My schedule is not coorperating.  Kinda stinks, because I think I read above that Roger was brining the beer.  Is that right?  ;)

Tom just pulled in, going to have a cup of coffee and head out to meet Paul V in Staunton.  Rained last night but its cleared up now, should be a great ride.

NOAA just issued SEVERE flash flood warning for our riding area through tomorrow.

No dust on those dirt roads! :great:

Hope you guys are having fun out there.  Moved my son into his dorm yesterday and the wife and I are having some "empty nest" issues.  LOL

This might call for a ride! ;)

Absolutely great weekend, best Dog Days ever!

Departed with Roger and Andy for a rerun of much of yesterday's route (backwards I think), Andy eventually headed home and I broke off somewhere near Lost River then heading back towards DC.

Again, a spectacular weekend, super weather, great routes and the big V-Strom showing up them little bikes.  Ok, maybe I'm kidding about that last part  :nananana: I was just holding on for a lot of them so called roads!

Here at Snowshoe all by myself. Had a great ride with Andrew and Dusty today. More good roads tomorrow then heading towards the beach.

Glad to hear it was typical Dog Days great. I don't think any of them have been anything but, and Snowshoe sounds like it made it even better.

Darn I'm sorry I missed it, but next year I won't.  :motonoises:

A super Dog Days event. We rode all around the rain on Friday (never got wet), had stellar weather Saturday and Sunday, excellent dual sport roads, NO dust, great restaurants, and a super group of riders. Much fun!  :motonoises:

No Rotella needed, chocolate MoonPies on the pillows, "stuff" for breakfast.

Quote for the weekend:

From Tommy-----"So, how does it feel turning sixty?" (To a sweet octogenarian announcing her birthday at our lunch stop). What a guy.

And......"Awsh*t, he brought the DRZ, we're fooked".  >:D

Thanks to everyone who attended. Hope to see some of you at Marshall in September, and OWO in October.