• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Educate me on the difference

tdbru

2 up, C10 vs C14. For those of you that have 2up'd on both the C10 and C14, opinions on handling, pillion comfort, etc?
thanks,
-tdbru

My wife is short, I am tall. We took a C-14 for a test ride and she had a hard time getting on and off. On the road I sensed less wind/rain coverage on the C-14 than the C-10... my opinion only. I can adjust valve clearance on the C-10 in less than 4 hours - I don't need shims or need to remove the camshaft or radiator. The C-10 is old school with carburetors and no computers - if it breaks down in Mexico I can likely get it fixed there easier. If it breaks down around home with my tools and garage I can most likely repair it myself... A good thing because it's getting harder to find a shop to work on a 17 year old motorcycle.

First let me say how you ride is a big part of the equation…. Short rides my below commentary is less impactful - our average days are 350 - 500+ miles.

If both straight-up from the factory C-10 was more comfortable for my wife - pillion; our experience suspension and wind needed help… After investments into proper weighted spring / new Penske rear shock and better coverage windshield now the C-14 outperforms in both categories hands down.

If asked I would definitely suggest an owner make then upgrade but know these areas likely will need some modification.

My wife also prefers the seating/wind protection of a C-10. She says that on a C-10 she can see what's behind us in the Mirrors, and can't see on a C-14 as she sets higher.
I like the C-10 too, and still have one, but I prefer riding the C-14 for handling and POWER!

Ride safe, Ted

Thanks guys!
sounds like C10 might make a better pillion hauler as issued. C14 with mods.
-tdbru

My wife also prefers the seating/wind protection of a C-10. She says that on a C-10 she can see what's behind us in the Mirrors, and can't see on a C-14 as she sets higher.
I like the C-10 too, and still have one, but I prefer riding the C-14 for handling and POWER!

Ride safe, Ted
My wife liked the C-10 better because of the wind and “tendency to slide forward when braking” on the C-14. That being said, she likes the Goldwing best of all.

My WIFE did not like ther rear seat on the C10 and does not like the seat on the C14. (Spoiled on the GL1800) Both my Daughter-in-laws however, really prefer the C14. I think it has something to do with the "THRILLING ACCELLERATION" (they are both speed freaks). At the end of the day, I prefer to ride alone, but that is just me. I might be more in tune with the wife's view if she rode more that twice a year for an hour . Lol.