• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Electric Windshield Problem

bill7800

Stepped off my 2016 Connie in my drivway and forgot to put the kick stand down, you know what happened. Have crash bars so no damage. Picked the bike up went for a short ride, every thing good, no problems. When I started the bike for another ride I noticed the windshield when rising to its preset height hesitated then continued to the preset height. When starting the bike over and over the windshield will hesitate to different degrees, sometimes not move, sometimes go to the propper preset position, but will ALWAYS return to it lowest position smoothly when the bike is turned off. The button on the handle bars will ALWAYS move the windshield smoothly to any position. The windshield 30A fuse, the handel bar switch, the windshield motor and the two windshield relays are all good. The manual says replace the ECU. I was wonering if the meter unit could be the problem since that is where you set the presettings for the windshield? Everything is working as it should except the preset settings. the windshield works flawlessly with the manual button on the handlebars.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreatiated.

Bill Hi - have you tried disconnecting battery, clean up all connections real good, redo connections then reset your windshield settings.

Wondering if the drop jarred a connection? Remember the ground cable as well.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Check the switch, the wires near the switch, and the wires near the steering neck.
You may have damaged the switch or the wires.

Ride safe, Ted

Bill Hi - have you tried disconnecting battery, clean up all connections real good, redo connections then reset your windshield settings.

Wondering if the drop jarred a connection? Remember the ground cable as well.

Wayne, Carol & Blue
HI Wayne
Why would I do that, that is the smart-easy way to start? I start reading the manual, test relays ( after I find them ), check all connections from switch to ecu, lose sleep thinking about leaving my baby at a dealer and paying big bucks 6 weeks later. Finally I did what what you sugested and went to " disconect the battery and clean up all connections real good " and found the negative turminal bolt not tight but not loose. Tightened it 1/8th + turn and all was GOOD. Thanks for responding to my call for help, I am now a beliver in checking grounds.
Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Check the switch, the wires near the switch, and the wires near the steering neck.
You may have damaged the switch or the wires.

Ride safe, Ted
Hi Ted
Thanks for responding to my call for help, I really appreaciate you taking the time to do that. We think alike, I did what you suggested thinking that was the logical way to start. I don't do well tracking down electrial problems but in the future I will use the KISS method first ( keep it simple stupid ). 1/8 turn on the negitive battery turminal made it all good.
Thanks again Ted
Bill

HI Wayne
Why would I do that, that is the smart-easy way to start? I start reading the manual, test relays ( after I find them ), check all connections from switch to ecu, lose sleep thinking about leaving my baby at a dealer and paying big bucks 6 weeks later. Finally I did what what you sugested and went to " disconect the battery and clean up all connections real good " and found the negative turminal bolt not tight but not loose. Tightened it 1/8th + turn and all was GOOD. Thanks for responding to my call for help, I am now a beliver in checking grounds.
Thanks
Bill
Glad your windshield is working properly again. These machines are finicky animals regarding electrical connections, best part of it though is it’s an easy fix!

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Hi Ted
Thanks for responding to my call for help, I really appreaciate you taking the time to do that. We think alike, I did what you suggested thinking that was the logical way to start. I don't do well tracking down electrial problems but in the future I will use the KISS method first ( keep it simple stupid ). 1/8 turn on the negitive battery turminal made it all good.
Thanks again Ted
Bill
My son had to have our Toyota Corolla towed a few years ago as it was dead. The battery was replaced and it stranded him again a few days later. We found that the $0.50 bolt fastening the battery ground to the inner fender had become loose and the threads actually arced away. The replaced bolt made her run like new again. Crazy things happen like that.

My son had to have our Toyota Corolla towed a few years ago as it was dead. The battery was replaced and it stranded him again a few days later. We found that the $0.50 bolt fastening the battery ground to the inner fender had become loose and the threads actually arced away. The replaced bolt made her run like new again. Crazy things happen like that.
Crazy intermittent stuff like that can drive owners and repairs shops a lot of grief.

I had a rubber bumper pad on my clutch peddle of a car I owned, that developed a concave space over time. The space allowed a fraction of a millimeter gap that disengaged the cruise control during the winter months, but the warmer temps made the bumper pliable and filled the gap, allowing the bumper to engage the electric switch that kept everything working.

Get the car in the shop, it heats up, and works. Leave the shop, the bumper hardens up, and the circuit stops working. Talk about frustration.
Finally, one day, I did continuity tests on every darn connector and switch I could find in the circuit. By chance, I noticed the switch worked intermittently, but why? It worked perfectly on the bench, but not with the clutch peddle?!! Then it dawned on me to check the gap between the peddle and the rubber bumper. That is where I discovered the worn out rubber bumper. I glued a penny over the gap with some super glue, and the problem went away. A one penny fix!

N2VjYzg1LmpwZw

The shop techs don't know what to do if the fix ain't in the manual.

Last edited:
The manual says replace the ECU
So here is a golden opportunity to annotate the service manual. Right before the above note, insert a note that says, "check battery for loose connections before handing over your wallet".

I'm doing that right now. I do that for all my troubleshooting manuals when I discover an unlisted fix. (y):unsure:;)

I've not owned anything that's so sensitive to the battery connections and ground at the frame. I had some strange symptom a few years ago and it was just dirty connections. Pulling the battery should be an annual service item.

So here is a golden opportunity to annotate the service manual. Right before the above note, insert a note that says, "check battery for loose connections before handing over your wallet".

I'm doing that right now. I do that for all my troubleshooting manuals when I discover an unlisted fix. (y):unsure:;)
Thanks Harry, I like golden opportunites. Thanks for the comments.
Keep smiling and riding
Bill

Battery connections are definitely one thing I'd pay frequent attention to on these bikes. Seems a loose ground has gotten more than a few owners.