• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Engine timing

cornponious

Let’s say I remove the tensioner and install a new one. And then let’s say I install a new timing chain. How do I verify the engine is still in time?

3 words.....FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL...

By the tone of ur questions, one would assume uv never done a valve clearance check.

3 words.....FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL...

By the tone of ur questions, one would assume uv never done a valve clearance check.
I have done quite a bit of work myself on this motorcycle. However I’ve always left it to my local shop to do the valve adjustments.

Right now I have the bike completely torn apart, and I mean it’s down to a frame with an engine. I’ve had a new timing chain and guides for several years and thought since I’ve got the thing torn apart I might as well do this.

So I removed the tensioner and inspected the chain. It honestly looks fine with no issues. So, I installed a new gasket and reinstalled the tensioner. Then I put a wrench on the crank and gave it a turn. The moment I began to turn it, it seemed to click over just slightly WITHOUT turning the camshafts.

Now, I could have imagined this. Or I could not have. But just in case, I thought I’d ask this question here. I have the Clymer manual, but so far I have yet to see anything specific in it about adjusting timing.

There's no adjustment on timing the cams to the crank. The cams and crank and chain must all be positioned correctly.

The moment I began to turn it, it seemed to click over just slightly WITHOUT turning the camshafts.
This would be normal. When you relieved tension on the cam chain it allows the cams to move to a dead spot...... Because the valve springs are applying pressure to the lobes and push the cam to a spot where the lobes find too much resistance to move any further. The chain did not jump. This is why you have to rotate the crankshaft several times while adjusting the tensioner. Or while a stock one adjusts itself. but if you're really wanting to change the chain then all the previous posts are correct.