• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

exhaust port observation/question

connie

Hi All,
As I'm going in for my second valve inspection 2009 (56K), everything was very dirty etc., so I removed the whole exhaust system to go in for a deep cleanse.
I now notice that on cylinders 1,3, & 4 that on one side of the exhaust port, half is clean and half is black with carbon. I'm baffled and would like to know if anyone has seen this or can explain what might be going on. no exhaust valves are out of spec. the spark plugs all look the same nice and clean tan color. bike was running well with Steve's Mountain runner premium flash. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Richard

The clean area is probably where the air from the pair valve is streaming into the port.

I would STRONGLY caution you about trying to "clean" the exhaust ports. The last thing you want is to get any grit in the cylinders, or even chemicals that will wash the oil off the cylinder walls.

Steve

I've never tried it on exhaust port but using walnut blast media on the intake ports is a common procedure for direct injection engines. You use a special adapter that connects a shopvac with a small port that allows a wand to pass through to inject the media. It's important to seal off other other cylinders and make sure the valves are closed on the cylinder you are cleaning.

I believe the same process should work on a C14 exhaust port but the trick would be to get an adapter. I purchased one for my Mini Cooper but it's a common procedure on Minis and BMWs and BMW has a tool for this purpose.

I've seen some 3D printed ones for different engines and I believe it would be relatively easy to do one for the C14 exhaust port.

But as Steve noted, you want to take precautions to prevent any of the blast media from entering the cylinder.

Thanks for your replies. both ports on #2 are clean. I have no intention of attempting to clean it out, as it isn’t built up, just a dry black coating. Steve I think your on to something. however the pattern seems random. I’ll see if I can post a photo later.
thanks again