• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Extended Warranty

silver dragon

Training Wheels
NOT TO HIJACK THE THRED BUT DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO IS SELLING THE EXTENDED WARENTY POLICYS? FOR HOW LONG AND HOWMUCH?

I HAVE A FEW MONTS LEFT ON MY EXISTING POLICY AND WANT TO EXTEND IT FOR MY 08 C14.

Straight from Rich (Man Of Blues). This was posted on the other site! Hope it helps.

Bob

MAN OF BLUES said:
Ok guys, I got a second GTPP form a week or so ago, that makes 2 in the last month, and they still want $642 for the plan...that's RE-****-ULOUS....

soooooo, I went online and looked at the E-Bay Freemont deal they had, and called the G.M. at the dealership I bought my C14 from July 2007.
We had a nice conversation, where I explained COG, and he remembered me talking about it last time I was there....
long story short, i asked him about "bottom line" prices to compete with the E-Bay dudes, and he came up with a SWEEEEEET price, which he will extend to any COG member interested in going for the "36 month GTPP" extension.
I promised him I would glean some feedback on this from you guys, and then hook y'all up.

HOW DOES $370 SOUND TO Y'ALL????

need a show of hands to keep him commiting, and to see how long he will extend it for...

UPDATE:  $339.00
SEE THIS:
http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=66001.msg312169#msg312169

That DOES look like a sweet deal, but I'd have to buy a C-14 to get in on it.  And I just can't do that to ol' Rusty.  ;)

When I bought my 09 in November they tried to sell me the extended warranty, I told them that I could get it for $349.00 from a source on the internet and they sold me the 3 year extended warranty for that price. Now I see I paid $10.00 to much  :mad: but it' still worth it.

LOL  I think the extended is worth it... I haven't used mine yet, but it gives me a terrific amount of peace of mind.

Truth be told, most times extended warranties are a waste of money. While some times they can save your bacon, most times they don't, and be sure to read and understand the fine print on what is considered "normal wear items" before signing up. Most all manufactures also make it a standard practice to try to deny as many warranty claims as possible when it's going to cost them big money for repairs, and they will typically look for any excuse they can to deny a claim. So the warranty really is only as good as the manufacture who stands behind it and how aggressively they attempt to deny claims.  The majority of the time, these warranties go unused and the manufacture makes pure profit on them, and this is why they push them so hard, it's like free money to them.

Now granted, there are times they can and do save you big repair bills, but if you look at the overall statistics on them, you'll see that in most cases they don't pay off.

I'm not telling you not to buy one. But just go into it with eyes wide open. Don't expect that just because you have an extended warranty that it automatically means any problems are going to be covered. Be prepared for a fight anytime you make a warranty repair claim. The manufactures loose money on every claim, so naturally they are going to resist paying them. If you're going to get an extended warranty be sure to save all your maintenance receipts and don't give them any little excuse or out to deny a claim.

My theory is not to buy an extended warranty until right before the existing warranty runs out. If you buy it before then. The possibilities arise that you may not have the bike when the extended warranty comes into effect. A number of reasons could cause this. God forbid a wreck that totals the bike. You have problems with the bike and decided to get rid of it. You decided you want a different or newer bike that you didn't plan on when you bought this one. And probably other reasons.
Although the extended warranty does add incentive to possible buyers when selling. I still think it could be a waste of money if you purchase it early. So I recommend you wait until a a month or so before the factory warranty runs out, before purchasing an extended warranty. I could possibly wind up saving you some money in the long run, if something changes. That's just my thought on it though!

This is the first time I bought an extended warranty on a motorcycle, but for $349.00 for an extra 3 years I thought it was worth it. That's only $10.00 a month. I figure if it has to go in the shop for anything it would cost that much or more. I have a great service man in a shop only 15 miles away who is very easy to deal with. And when I sell it it will be a plus to the buyer. Before I bought my bike I read a lot from this board, and the  two concerns were the final drive and KIPASS, so I figured it was worth it.  And I don't know about the Kawasaki extended warranty but most others you can sell back to the company if you sell or wreck your bike before the warranty is up.

I just purchased a 2010  C14  the dealer wants to sell me a extended warranty for $899.. He is giving me the option to decide if i want it until i pick up the bike... Ill check out the ebay extended that you guys are talking about.. My question is this warranty good in NY state and would any Kawasaki dealer honor it with out giving me a attitude? OH I'm new to COG your forum is awesome and when i take delivery of my bike i will be upgrading my membership. Thanks Guys!!

The warranty is a Kawasaki warranty, good at any Kawasaki dealer, my dealer wanted about $1,000 for it I told him I could get it from the COG board for $349 and he matched that price. Tell your dealer that if he won't give it to you than you will get it from the dealer on this board. Actually my dealer told me that at $349 he was only making $50.00 profit. So it can be done. You can wait until the factory warranty is just about over before you get an extended warranty but by then it might have gone up $100 or so. Honda direct line sold the 4 year extended warranty on the Gold wing for $449, then in one jump it went to $499.

johnnieg said:
I just purchased a 2010  C14  the dealer wants to sell me a extended warranty for $899.. He is giving me the option to decide if i want it until i pick up the bike... Ill check out the ebay extended that you guys are talking about.. My question is this warranty good in NY state and would any Kawasaki dealer honor it with out giving me a attitude? OH I'm new to COG your forum is awesome and when i take delivery of my bike i will be upgrading my membership. Thanks Guys!!

Why buy it now? You have three years to decide if you want or need it. What if you don't want the bike or if (God forbid) it doesn't exsist any more, in three years?  And at a price of $900!  :eek:  Don't waste the money until the factory 3 year warranty is about to expire, say a month or two before. To me, it doesn't look like your dealer is doing you any favor with that price!  ;)

Necron99 said:
The only problem with waiting is that some people wait too long, and forget to do it.

If that's the case with somebody. Maybe they should take the gamble on buying buy it in advance. But my theory is that most people are capable of thinking about it or remind themselves with a note or something. But anywhere from $300 to $900 is a pretty big gamble on whether or not you'll still have this motorcycle in three years!

I purchased the warranty when I bought the bike because as someone else posted, I figured if I waited the price would go up on the warranty just like it does on everything else.  I'm happy with my decision, but I am sure those who wait to purchase will be happy with their decision (unless they forget).

Cap'n Bob said:
Necron99 said:
The only problem with waiting is that some people wait too long, and forget to do it.

If that's the case with somebody. Maybe they should take the gamble on buying buy it in advance. But my theory is that most people are capable of thinking about it or remind themselves with a note or something. But anywhere from $300 to $900 is a pretty big gamble on whether or not you'll still have this motorcycle in three years!

I'd never suggest most people aren't capable.  But I'm a manager of a customer service call center.  I assure you, more people forget to do the simple things of which they're capable than you can imagine.

Necron99 said:
I'd never suggest most people aren't capable.  But I'm a manager of a customer service call center.  I assure you, more people forget to do the simple things of which they're capable than you can imagine.

Understood. I didn't mean to make it sound like there truly incapable. And I hear what your saying! But for me and people who could remember, waiting seems like a better idea. But if forgetful, maybe advance purchase isn't a bad idea!

I think ill wait the bike is covered.. Ill save the 899$ better in my pocket than the dealers. The markup on extended warranties seems crazy!

And when you sell the bike it will put the buyers mind at ease at least knowing there is still a warranty on it.