• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Factory seat?

Crashcup

For those of you who have owned a C10 and C14 Concours, which one has the better factory seat?  (Or should I ask, which has the worst?)

I was just thinking about how I've never felt the need to upgrade my C10 seat. Sheepskin or beads or an air cushion have always made it comfortable enough. But thinking ahead to upgrading to the C14, wondering how likely it is that I'll want to replace that seat.

Thanks,
Keith

Interesting question.  I rode the C10 for a long time and never once did I feel the need to upgrade the seat.  It was comfortable from the first day till the last.  The C14 is a different animal. I was doing well until I took the machine out west (for 11 days) and suffered accordingly.  I've since replaced the stock bench with Kawasaki's touring seat.  Much, much better.   

I've never ridden a C10. So, my only frame of reference is the 09 C14 I recently bought that came with both the stocker and a Corbin seat. I find the Corbin very comfortable and the stock seat to be a medieval torture device. It seams to roll my pelvis forward, putting unnecessary pressure on "the boys". Anyway, that's my .02¢

Rf G out

;)

The seat on my C10 was more comfortable than my C14,  Yes the C14 seat seems to roll, slide you forward. Have replaced the stock seat with the Kawasaki touring seat, a lot more comfortable.  Comparing the C10 vs C14,  I preferred the seating position of the C10,  The C14 is a awesome cycle, smooth, handles great, is quick!  If you buy one, gets Steve's Mountain runner flash, really transform the C14.

And Yes, I still have my C10!

1999 C10 seat is WAY better than the C14

However, I have yet to find an aftermarket seat, barring the custom made sofas, that's better than the stock C14 seat

As mentioned already, stock seat on the c10 for me.  On my 2010 C14 ive had a sergeant (too hard , gone).  Corbin 2 piece (tolerable but firm, still have it). Gel from an 09 (too hard, worn out? Gone) Stock seat from a 2016 (feels pretty good up to 250miles, still have it)

According to threads here on the forum the seats changed with the 2016 model. But from what ive read they dont compare to the kawasaki touring seat.  The after.arket kings are the RDL (russell day long) , Seth lam. And Baldwin.

C10 bench seat from the 86-93 is way better than the 2008 C14 seat.
The 94-06 seat is slightly better than the 2008 C14 seat.
I can't comment on the later model C14 seats as I haven't tried any.

2012 C-14 I liked my factory seat until about 10000 miles went by. I am still riding the stock seat at 52000 but this is the last year. Feeling the edges too much after only 50 miles. Had a Vulcan once that made the Connie seat seem plush. Kawasaki builds great engines though.

On my C10's, I had a stock seat, a Sargent, and a Russell Day Long. Stock was a 2 hour seat, Sargent was a 4 hour seat, and the Russell truly had no time limit. I strung multiple 12 hour days for weeks at a time. Did the IBA Bun Burner and the seat comfort was NEVER an issue.

On my C14, I haven't used the stock seat; it came with a Sargent. Once again, after about 4 hours, the Sargent is pretty uncomfortable, and I need to stop for a half hour or so, The more I ride it, the quicker my breaks need to be. I don't think I'll be riding as long as I have in the past, but I'm still probably going to buy a Russel this winter.

On my C10's, I had a stock seat, a Sargent, and a Russell Day Long. Stock was a 2 hour seat, Sargent was a 4 hour seat, and the Russell truly had no time limit. I strung multiple 12 hour days for weeks at a time. Did the IBA Bun Burner and the seat comfort was NEVER an issue.

On my C14, I haven't used the stock seat; it came with a Sargent. Once again, after about 4 hours, the Sargent is pretty uncomfortable, and I need to stop for a half hour or so, The more I ride it, the quicker my breaks need to be. I don't think I'll be riding as long as I have in the past, but I'm still probably going to buy a Russel this winter.

I made the mistake of buying a Russell Day Long for my Ural. Truly a mistake. Now I have to buy one for the Concours. It has truly spoiled me. It is seriously the most comfortable seat I have ever used on any motorcycle.

I have had four seats for my Concours counting the stock seat. I had the Sargent, which I actually liked, until it broke down, after a little under 20,000 miles, then the Corbin, which was shaped wrong for me, the hump causing horrific pain to places a man doesn't want pain, and the Kawasaki touring seat, which is very nice, until it breaks down like the Sargent, and caused the front to compress too much, throwing your weight forward. I had Corbin build the seat up so it was flatter, but they did that with softer foams nd left the hump, which ended up just as bad. I finally reshaped it myself, which is what I should have done in the first place. It is much better now. I have the modular seat, since the one piece Corbin wasn't yet offered. I would go with it if I had to do it again. I would probably like the Sargent with firmer foam, like they use on their low seat.

In the end, for my end, :D I plan on getting Russell to make a seat for the Concours. I never really liked the looks of the Day Long on the Concours, but that doesn't matter anymore. After riding on one, the comfort is so outstanding, it could be fuchsia and I wouldn't care, it is that good. I will keep at least one of the other seats in case I want to swap it out for really playing in the twisties of Western PA or West Virginia, but I doubt I will have to do that.

I didn't like the looks of the Russel either, but unless you have your headquarters where your hindquarters should be (sorry, Abe...), you can't see it when you're sitting on it. I got over the looks very quickly!

I didn't like the looks of the Russel either, but unless you have your headquarters where your hindquarters should be (sorry, Abe...), you can't see it when you're sitting on it. I got over the looks very quickly!

Yep. It looks great on the Ural though. As for the Concours, I don't care how it looks, and the look is growing on me. Comfort wins.

UXuXf1Q.jpg