• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final drive chains

PMarsh

Am pondering the purchase of a Versys. It is chain drive as everyone knows. :) . I have not owned a chain drive bike since 1978. Yep..... Any tips
and/or tricks or products regarding the maintenance of the latest generations of chains? I assume a 21st century final drive is a bit more durable than the
last chain I dealt with. TIA

Last edited:
A good quality modern "ring" seal chain is pretty tough. My 2000 ZX-9R went 30K, my current 2005 ZX-10 stock chain lasted to 35K. Mind you they get ridden in the rain, on the track, some drag strip, some offroad. I Spray them and wipe down approx. every 1000 miles or as soon as possible after seeing moisture. Only use WD-40 for 30 years. On both of those bikes the only time I ever "adjusted the chains was when changing rear tires they may have gotten moved incrementally. I like and do not mind chain drive at all.

A good quality modern "ring" seal chain is pretty tough. My 2000 ZX-9R went 30K, my current 2005 ZX-10 stock chain lasted to 35K. Mind you they get ridden in the rain, on the track, some drag strip, some offroad. I Spray them and wipe down approx. every 1000 miles or as soon as possible after seeing moisture. Only use WD-40 for 30 years. On both of those bikes the only time I ever "adjusted the chains was when changing rear tires they may have gotten moved incrementally. I like and do not mind chain drive at all.
I used to use Kerosene and a brush then a dry spray lube / not that big of a deal. Don’t get me wrong - I like the less maintenance of shaft drive, but it’s not that bad with todays high quality chains.