• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final drive gear oil leak update

tdbru

I finally found a local o-ring dealer that matched up the two coupler o-rings and so I got two new o-rings for the coupler as suggested. One goes on the driveshaft and one goes on the pinon gear shaft.

I also measured out exactly 225mL of gear oil to put in. Service manual says capacity is 220mL but I figured I'd lose 5mL between what stayed in the beaker and the funnel as it all doesn't drain out of the beaker or the funnel. 220mL does NOT come up to the bottom of the threads with the C10 on the center stand. about 1/2" below. approximately.

Perhaps if the bike was on the kickstand and not the center stand 220mL would be full to the bottom of the threads?

anyway, went on a 430 mile jaunt today to test it out and yeah! no more final drive leaks. Not sure if was the coupler o-rings or only putting 220mL of gear oil in the final drive. or maybe both.

And guess what was in my email inbox when I got back today. An email from the local Kawi dealer telling me that those 2 o-rings I ordered back at the beginning of the summer finally came in.... go figure.....

-tdbru

You should share the oil ring info, part numbers, for future c10 owners replacement.
Maybe a moderator can insert it in the c10 parts list...

Probably a combination of both. Glad it worked and you did it yourself! +1 what konehead said. And thanks for doing the work some of us may need in the future.

OK, here's the info.
the o-ring distributor was Chinook O-Rings and Seals in Beaverton Oregon.
part number 2-218
compound N100-70
batch number 60911-3Q11

when I called initially a young guy answered and said they could probably match it up, come on down.
when I got there the owner said "we don't sell retail". So I thought I was out of luck. But he is a dirt bike rider so sampled me out 3 of them and sent me on my way. I guess they're a wholesaler only. So the guy was quite kind. You probably can't count on this source however since they don't sell retail. I have no idea what their minimum order is. I dunno, maybe Murph's could order the min quantity and have some on hand for us? I don't know how many folks would ever need to replace these, I must be one of those "lucky" ones. It might not make good business sense to have to order a bunch just to sell a few once in a while.

Kawi still sells them, but based on the wait time for mine, they keep no stock in North America and they must be ordered from Japan.

-tdbru

2-218 o-ring...
Item Type: O-Ring Nominal Size: 1-1/4'' X 1-1/2'' X 1/8'' Actual Size: ID: 1.234 +/- .012 Thickness: .139 +/- .004. Material: 75 Durometer Viton (FPM)
on edit... The 2004 C-10 I purchased 5 years ago has had an seeping final drive that rarely ever dripped on the floor, got the rear tire dirty, or required much in the way of additional gear oil was tolerated by me - until I watched SISF's video about the "hidden" o-ring that rides in the splined stub of the final drive. The o-ring was broken and was riding in the recess allowing the gear oil that is slung onto the telescoping spline to leak out - in small enough quantities to ignore.

Last edited:
when I took the 2 original o-rings out, they looked fine. they were not cracked or split that I could see. But I replaced them anyway with the seals from Chinook O-Rings and Seals.

As I also mentioned, I put in a measured 225mL which does not fill the final drive up to the threads on the plug with the bike on the centerstand. Perhaps on the kick stand 225mL might fill the final drive up to the threads on the plug. I don't know for sure. Next time I change the final drive oil I will see if on the kickstand the oil is up to the plug threads before I drain it out and replace it.

-tdbru

I usually change the rear drive oil every season after a ride.
I don't bother measuring.
While on the center stand, I just fill to the big plug threads - NO spinning the wheel while filling.
This hasn't caused a leak or overflow in >70K miles.