• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final Drive Leak

fj52

Tricycle
I got my 2010 last month & noted a minor amount of fluid around the rear drive & on the wheel after the 35 mile drive home. I cleaned it, hoping it was just excess. It has continued over the subsequent 300 miles - after a forum search, I found others have had the same problem - it looks like one took pictures of my bike & posted them! I tried earlier to check the fluid level & didn't have a real or make-shift tool that would open it without damage so I went to the local dealer. I tried unsuccessfully to buy the bike in March from this dealer("We didn't order one of those this year, we still have two from last year") & bought it from one who had it new in the box. The manager was trying to convince me I have to take it to the selling dealer for warranty work when I stopped him before he dug too deep a hole. Anyway, he had a mechanic check the fluid level - who got the access open & found it was VERY overfull. He got two ounces in a container after more poured onto the pavement. He said Kawasaki fills this at the factory, so it came that way to the dealer. He said this may solve the problem but being overfilled that much may have damaged the seals. Any suggestions on next steps or should I just monitor it? As the mechanic wiped up the mess, he pointed at the rubber boot at the rear of the shaft & said, "How did that happen?" I looked and realized it is torn - not a clue how it happened. One would normally not notice it, so it could have been there at delivery or something came loose and tore it. Any ideas on how to proceed - he was probably right in saying the selling dealer would be the right place to go, but I fear them telling me I am responsible somehow. Have pics but can't figure how to attach here. Thanks.

Howdy, Regardless as to where you bought it any Kawasaki dealer has to honor your warranty. If they aren't receptive to this call/e-mail Kawasaki. Also make sure your issues are documented, including the torn boot, getting water in there is not a good thing. At this point I would recommend you find another dealer/service shop. Yes, at some point down the road the overfilling of the final drive could cause a seal issue. Later, Norm

Hi, Now I'm thinking, so I pull up the Shop Manual and it states to "Support the motorcycle perpendicular to the ground" when checking the oil level in the Final Drive. I've been doing it with the bike on the center stand. Fred, help, please clarify this. If checking level on the center stand am I overfilling the final drive? Thanks as always, Norm

Wow, the shop manual sounds as oddly written as the owner's manual. I guess perpindicular to the ground makes more sense than trying it parallel. Center stand stands like the best translation. After seven years with my Honda ST1300, one noticeable change with my change to Kawasaki is the manual's uncomfortable phrasing. It reminds me of the manual for my first used bike in 1970 - the worn manual for the 1966 Honda Dream 160 did not mention the word motorcycle anywhere in the text...instead, it used "motor vehicle." My suspicion then was the translator in Japan was depending on a dictionary with only one English work for cars or motorcycles...still makes me smile, although I wish this one was easier to navigate thru...

Yes, the final should be checked/filled on the center stand to get an accurate read. To get really specific, I will put a scrap 2X4 under the front wheel to get the bike dead-level. This may be a dead-horse but be sure you don't move the rear wheel when you fill it since the gear oil is fairly thick and will give an inaccurate read for the level until is settles. Where there is a little confusion is the final drive can/should be drained on the side-stand to get as much out as possible. /r Allen