• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final drive noise?

ridingslow

Bicycle
Hi everyone, 

I just bought a used 08 C14 with 6k miles on her.  If I put the bike on the center stand and rotate the rear tireI hear a popping, or clicking noise in the drive shaft.  Ive watched some youtube videos and other bikes seem to be having the same noise going on. Is this a normal thing for a shaft driven motorcycle.

Thanks for the help, RS

Well, mine has done it since it was new.  It's been taken into the dealer several times for it, but they found nothing.  They lubed the splines, and claimed if fixed it, but as soon as I got home, it was still doing it.

I don't think it's normal for shaft drives, but apparently it's normal for the C14.  It should only do it when it's been sitting overnight, if it's like mine.

My experience has been that if you remove the driveshaft and lube the front spline on it where it connects to the bevel drive, the clicking will go away.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
My experience has been that if you remove the driveshaft and lube the front spline on it where it connects to the bevel drive, the clicking will go away.

My dealer claimed he did just that, but it didn't help.  I asked him if he used the Honda Moly paste, and he said he used "something better".  Since I don't know of anything better (other than the 70+ stuff from Nevada?), and he wouldn't tell me what he used,  I didn't have much confidence in what he did.

I bought some Honda Moly 60, and I'll be doing the splines myself at the next tire change.

Well my bike is still under warranty and I could take it in, but I hate taking anything to the dealer if I can do it myself. 

C1xRider said:
My dealer claimed he did just that, but it didn't help.  I asked him if he used the Honda Moly paste, and he said he used "something better". 

Maybe he used Krytox. If he did, thats good stuff. I'd call the dealership who did it and ask them if they know what Krytox grease is and if they have any in the service shop.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
C1xRider said:
My dealer claimed he did just that, but it didn't help.  I asked him if he used the Honda Moly paste, and he said he used "something better". 

Maybe he used Krytox. If he did, thats good stuff. I'd call the dealership who did it and ask them if they know what Krytox grease is and if they have any in the service shop.

Hmm, interesting stuff : http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/en_US/products/Products_Greases.html.  I would also need to ask what flavor he used if this is what he used.

However, since the dealer is gone and I don't know where the mechanic is now, that really isn't an option anymore.

Moly is quite a bit more slick than PTFE. The drawback is the price.  The very best out there is Dow Corning's Molykote 77. As you can see, the price makes a person think Kawasaki bought it from Honda and all their parts departments took a share.  http://www.drillspot.com/products/275042/Dow_Corning_77_Part_Assembly_Paste_1_PT

RIDINGSLOW said:
Hi everyone, 

I just bought a used 08 C14 with 6k miles on her.  If I put the bike on the center stand and rotate the rear tireI hear a popping, or clicking noise in the drive shaft.  Ive watched some youtube videos and other bikes seem to be having the same noise going on. Is this a normal thing for a shaft driven motorcycle.

Thanks for the help, RS

Depending on which way you turn the wheel they all make clicking noise while turning backwards.....I've done this on brand new one one the show room floor

The noises will cause some to do unnecessary repairs. I talked to a guy that changed out the timing chain because of the noise. I doubt it needed it.

Got the bike back from the dealership and the clicking or popping is gone for now.  They lubed the front and rear spline and so far so good.  Also, warranty work is never free......she now has a new scuff on the left mirror, im guessing it happened in the shop.