• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First thing to do

mwirrick

Big Wheel
As a brand new owner, I'm curious as to opinions of what I should do to it first, if anything.  Anyone care to comment on what they wish they done sooner or wish they hadn't done at all?  Just got a 2011 C14.  Has only 600 miles on it, got it for a good price.  Its stock except for bar risers and a couple of Ram mounts.  Looking forward to making it mine and getting the most out of it.  Thanks for any input.

I had that massive potato launcher and goofy rear fender pulled off at the dealer before I even took posession...

Plan a 1000 mile weekend ride and decide what you personally would like to change first. I done a 2500 mile ride and dropped the pegs first, bar risers second, taller wider windscreen third and a Spencerized seat fourth. That may not be what you need or the order for you depending on how the bike fits you. Dont make a mod just because someone else makes it, make it yours!  John

I say the seat, what good are the other mods if you can't ride more than a hundred miles before your butt is killing you.  But if the stockers is ok by you, then yeah what the other guy said, do what you want to do first and make the bike yours.

i put a front fender extender on to protect the radiator and a bigger wind shield , after that  better tires went to 190/55 for the rear . much better now 

I agree with some of these. I personally also protected the radiator with a Cox racing radiator guard and a pyramid fender extender. There's a thread right now on the forum about a damaged radiator from something like a rock. So I believe in protecting it if possible. Other than that, I would say ride it for a while and make changes as necessary. I do not agree with the take a 1,000 mile trip though. Build up to that and see what might need changing in the short runs before worrying about the long runs. A really bad long riding trip that your suffering on, could sour you on the bike that might just need a minor change to fit you. So ride it for a while increasing lengths until your sure it's ready to go for you. Of course this is just my opinion.

Become a full member of COG and go to one of the activities!!!!!  :motonoises:

I did risers 1st, and then a windshield. Then I added some of the riser wedges on top of the risers. Yesterday I put on some Grip Puppies, they were inexpensive and if I don't like them it's no big deal to take them off.
I have a Corbin seat on order. For me it's all about getting the bike comfortable for long rides- I'm looking forward to the "tourer" end of the "Sport Tourer" ride.
After I get used to that setup, we'll see where it'll go. Maybe some different pegs that are lower.
For me the bike has plenty of performance right out of the box so I'm not thinking of any kind of engine mods/reflash type of stuff. I run in Eco mode almost all the time and still have to contain my excitement when I run 2nd or 3rd gear out to 8k. Maybe an aftermarket exhaust at some point to change up the sound some.
I'll add a rear trunk, I think my wife is going to get me one for Christmas.
I'll wear out the stock tires and then look into the couple brands that are recommended here.
I'll add the radiator guard too, and possibly fender extenders for both front and rear (my wife complains the bike kicks up a lot of road debris when she's riding behind me).

Plenty of time to get it done, though the comfort stuff I've jumped on pretty quick. I don't see a need to ride on the stock seat for a year, or do a long trip and know that I'm not going to be as comfortable as if I bought a new seat now.

racermike said:
As a brand new owner, I'm curious as to opinions of what I should do to it first, if anything.

1) Fill the gas tank
2) Ride till gas tank empty
3) goto step 1 and repeat :)

Congrats on the new ride

+1 on what Marc said.  I bought some stuff before I got the bike but I believe the very first thing I added was the radar dectector and would do it again.  A couple of the farkels I bought then are still not installed.  The thing I regret not getting to sooner was the seat.  I'm 'testing' my 4th seat a little over a year later and I believe I've finally found change I can believe in.
:)

Cox radiator shield, throttlemeister, flys out and PCV mapped by Jamie at Fuel Moto, Techmount and Zumo GPS.

Thanks for all the input, guys.  Really appreciate the expertise and experience.  Picked up the bike today and rode about 100 miles.  First things I'm doing will be some protective stuff--fender extender, radiator protector, maybe some clear tape on the top of the cases where I seem to scuff them getting on and off the bike.  The bigger challenge will be wind management and finding a comfy seat.  Let the research begin / continue.  Looking forward to getting to know the bike.  Thanks again.

Congrats on the new ride!

Seriously tho,  ride the bike a bit before starting to accessorize..things like rad guard and bag protection are no brainers IMHO, but the rest I'd wait till she tells you what she will need so U can spend your money wisely

you need to buy stuff??? ::) :truce:
buy a fender extenda, GOOD protective gear, and put 2000 miles on it BEFORE ANY FARKLING....
you MAY think you want different bars, seat, exhaust, etc.... but you need to feel the bike, get used to it, and how it SHOULD sound for a while....
I find a few folks out there that have to buy bars, seats, and exhausts before they even ride the bike, and when they actually ride one STOCK after they ride their modified bike, they are frequently surprised that it is comfy as delivered.... :-X :rotflmao:

I must just be odd then, because I could tell in the showroom that the massive potato launcher and rear fender wasn't gonna work for me. Here's a pic of my Connie on day one when I bought her brand new as a left over model (9/23/10) and brought her home, you can even see the oem tire stripe. I had a Muzzys slip-on and fender eliminator put on at the dealer, sorry purists...

IMG_1181.jpg

Oh, and by the way, she looks a little different now one year later, I have a farkle addiction...  :truce:

IMG00533-20110913-1625.jpg

different strokes...
ride one with a stock muffler, and notice the sound....or lack there of...... :motonoises:
nice, quiet is nice..... ^-^

you can't see the Scud launcher when you are riding......unless you like to ride back & forth in front of storefront windows at the local shopping center, looking at yourself in the reflections..... ::) ::) ::) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: 8)

I only look in the shopping mall store front windows to see if you're working the counter at the Gap MOB...  :D 
hiding.gif

I'm totally just kidding and having fun with you Rich, sorry bro.
smiley_smackbottom.gif
  :truce:  :beerchug:

I do agree with you though, different strokes... nothing wrong with that. It's all good, we all love the same bike so we do have that in common. I can't wait to someday have a beer with you, hope you feel the same, I love your attitude.  :-*

MAN OF BLUES said:
different strokes...
ride one with a stock muffler, and notice the sound....or lack there of...... :motonoises:
nice, quiet is nice..... ^-^

you can't see the Scud launcher when you are riding......unless you like to ride back & forth in front of storefront windows at the local shopping center, looking at yourself in the reflections..... ::) ::) ::) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: 8)

:D :D  ROTFLMMFAO  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I'm really feeling old having to go to the "urban dictionary" to look up all your computer slang and abbreviations.  :-[

ZG said:
I must just be odd then, because I could tell in the showroom that the massive potato launcher and rear fender wasn't gonna work for me.

Yeah, I know what you mean,  I just ordered a rear fender extender so I can keep this bike from sending dirt/mud up on my back and everywhere when it rains because of this joke of a fender :D 

Mad River Marc said:
ZG said:
I must just be odd then, because I could tell in the showroom that the massive potato launcher and rear fender wasn't gonna work for me.

Yeah, I know what you mean,  I just ordered a rear fender extender so I can keep this bike from sending dirt/mud up on my back and everywhere when it rains because of this joke of a fender :D

Indeed, ugly and not functional... Thanks Kawi.  :41:

Cap'n Bob said:
I agree with some of these. I personally also protected the radiator with a Cox racing radiator guard and a pyramid fender extender. There's a thread right now on the forum about a damaged radiator from something like a rock. So I believe in protecting it if possible. Other than that, I would say ride it for a while and make changes as necessary. I do not agree with the take a 1,000 mile trip though. Build up to that and see what might need changing in the short runs before worrying about the long runs. A really bad long riding trip that your suffering on, could sour you on the bike that might just need a minor change to fit you. So ride it for a while increasing lengths until your sure it's ready to go for you. Of course this is just my opinion.

You know what they say about those, right  :-*  Just my opinion ;)