• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FJR1300A Review

lieu910

Moped
This was on my list of potential bikes to replace the C14. Primarily for the benefits of ESA.

Obviously this was not the ESA equipped ES, but was all I could find to sample.

Setting off, the bike feels slightly lighter and more nimble. Clutch pull feel lighter than the C14, and the bike looks and feels more refined and of a higher build quality than the C14.

Ergonomics were fairly similar to the C14, however, I did not feel any constant sliding forward. I'm not sure I want another bike with ergos like the C14/FJR, I'm thinking something more neutral with more leverage on the bars would be a preference.

Suspension felt very good. I would rate it a notch or two above the C14. Seems more planted and less disturbed by pavement irregularity in corners.

Engine and trans were both good. I still felt a buzz in the bars between 4-5k RPM.

Factory cruise works flawlessly, and noticeably better than aftermarket systems.

Wind protection not quite as good as a stock C14 in my opinion.

Overall, a nice bike, and with the 6 speed now and factory cruise, I think I prefer it over the C14. I like the engine and trans in the C14 slightly better.

A new ES is $17K MSRP. I don;t think I can justify that kind of money for a bike that has the shortcomings I noted.

Next test ride will be the updated K1600GT.       

I was looking for something newer and more modern to replace my '02 C10.  In that pursuit, like you, I testrode C14 and a 2017 FJR1300ES, and felt much the same way about them as you did.  The FJR just felt more refined, and in my opinion, more powerful.  I really liked the light action of the slipper clutch, and the way the bike just quietly purrs at idle.  Unlike you, I felt that the FJR's screen did a better job than the C14. But in fairness, the C14 test ride was on a much windier day.

I bought it.  I feel like a traitor.  Regardless, one very clean, relatively low mileage silver C10 will soon be for sale.

I ran across a deal on an 08AE I couldnt pass up After a couple of months I can see the advantages over the C10 The increased maintenance intervals over the C10 is what I like about it. The FJR was already set up for me and ready to go(lowering links main thing)
Still have the C10 Ive designated it to commuting duties with FJR for the weekends
I plan to keep the C10 Ive had it since my daughter was 4  She said she would keep it after I kick the bucket

I replaced my 02 C-10 with an 08 FJR about 18 months ago and couldnt be happier. I did upgrade the seat and changed the bars to standard 7/8" bar setup and shes perfect.

I have both, and my wife and I like each one for different reasons. We won 't put a top bag on the FJR since we use that one to really carve corners. So, we limit the FJR usually to 2 week trips. C10 has better wind protection (been very handy in places like Newfoundland) and with the top bag, a place to put the heated gear. Plus, for us, the c10 has been modified with the ZZR alternator which helps. We love them both.