• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(no longer available) For Trade: 1987 Concours

Tour1

She Who May Be Obeyed wishes I would give up my motorcycle habit so I am offering my bike for a trade with cash adjustment if/when a good enough deal comes along.
1987 Concours with 80K miles, original pearl gray(silverdammit), currently in good riding condition but damaged plastics needing patch & paint to look non-ratty. Recently mostly repainted prior to latest mishap. Also have a red main fairing with a small unfinished patch. Right side bag has a new crack that doesn't seem to affect anything. Rear tire new last year, front is a few years old, I think <10K on it. New front rotors last year & new pads all around.
If this post is old when you read it there may be changes of course (I'm not expecting a big respose).
Looking to get a truck, van, or SUV that can tow 4000 lbs or more, or a camper of some sort, or a rec trailer that weighs less than 2000 lbs, or a hybrid car or a 2 seater with mpg that would rival a Concours, or maybe a road worthy KLR but SWMBO might not like that.
Maybe I'd just sell the bike but you'd have to make me an offer I can't refuse or sooth my feelings with a story about how much you need it and how lucky it will be with its new owner.

Last edited:
This was the most recent damage, it's been patched around the turn signal but not painted.  As explained in the OP, with much newer bikes going for $500, this is not really a cash & carry offer unless your wallet is so fat it hurts your butt when you sit (and you need to make it thinner).  And BTW I'm on Long Island, NY.
2nd pic is the patch up on the turn signal area.
All subject to improvement or wear over time of course.

Attachments

• May2015-before.jpg
    May2015-before.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 244
  • May2015-turn-signal-patch-small.jpg
    May2015-turn-signal-patch-small.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 219
Tour1 said:
This was the most recent damage, it's been patched around the turn signal but not painted.  As explained in the OP, with much newer bikes going for $500, this is not really a cash & carry offer unless your wallet is so fat it hurts your butt when you sit (and you need to make it thinner).  And BTW I'm on Long Island, NY.
2nd pic is the patch up on the turn signal area.
All subject to improvement or wear over time of course.

I'm not really 'in' this thread, but I wouldn't consider those $500 finds exactly typical. I can't speak to the market, or what your bike might be worth, but I'm pretty sure those screaming deals don't come along often.

His bike is worth 500 tops. One in better shape and lower miles from that era is worth no more than a grand. Speaking for myself of course!

To me the bike is worth everything I put into it, of course, including the learning curve, because I'd expect to have to do all that again even if I just got a different Concours.
It's not so much a cash budget thing as it is a labor budget thing and a free time budget thing.  I can only do so much wrenching and I only have so many days off.  I should add that if I got something I could drive in all weather (not including blizzard) I could throw in my 2012 Jeep Liberty.
That's why I imagine somebody saying "I've got this van I converted into a cruiser back in the 70's, it needs work, not planning to fix it and I've been thinking of getting a bike like a Connie".
Then I could think about that as an alternative to fixing and/or maintaining the bike, balanced against the fixing and/or maintaining the van, and compare the end usage as well.
I think sooner or later somebody may have something that's "worth" maybe $500 but also "worth" my bike.  Or maybe one of the parties would have to throw in a little cash to make it a fair trade.  At this point in time I want to keep my bike, I just know I wouldn't run out and buy one if I didn't have one.
:motonoises:

In honor of the New York bike show this weekend I'm posting some stuff that would go with the bike, still daydreaming about a trade-type thing per the OP...
I got new brake pads all around a few hundred miles ago along with new disks on the front.
I now have a red front fairing with an unfinished repair by the right turn signal and a couple of missing tabs, both side fairings in gold paint excellent condition, aset of carbs with SISF overflow tubes & treatment, and a Givi monokey top case in flat-ish black.  Passed inspection in August I think.
I turned 60 about 5 hours ago and I have some aches & pains, .
I'm in NY.  I don't think the bike is the kind of bargain C10 sought for Charlie Gary but if there's a camper or something suitable to be part of a trade it can't hurt to talk.
Yep, I've seen some of the other C10s listed here, if you like one of those better go right ahead and get one  :victory:

Wow. This is an old thread. Have you posted an ad on cl,  cycletrader,  etc?

It's been a year. Come Jan 1 the bike losses more value since it'll be yet another year older. Your wife might just let you keep it if you tell her in one year no one has wanted to pay what you want for it.

The wife's lament is more like "No motorcycle please!" and , although she doesn't ride pillion, when I sold the seat with a passenger backrest there was a brief moment of upset, and an imperceptible relief when I got the trunk with its backrest cushion.
I'd rather think of the bike as a good pet.  Someday that vet bill may be too high but I can't sell it like a mere piece of property.  The wife likely knows the existing pet keeps me from getting another one.

What farkles does this bike have? Really serious about selling or just wasting forum space? Looks like a pretty much wasted fairing.

Thanks for the bump.

Sisf carbs? So she's a runner?? I don't have a good parking space in Queens. Need a bike that can be covered and chained to a tree for weeks at a time. And I possibly only need such a bike until May. Traffic is killing me, Uber is eating me alive, I get weird on the subway and just miss having a bike up here. Motorcycle = key to the city.

Hmmn - I'll root around my brain and garage and come up with some trade ideas.

I think the bike is close to stock.  It has the 1987 diameter front disks with single piston calipers.  I have Snarf's block off plates, not installed.  Saddlebags are farkled or just repaired depending how you see it.
I'm definitely not serious about selling or I'd have called the thread "For Sale".  I'm not sure how crazy I am on the sunk funds issue, though, since my time is scarce.  If I was Fais, for instance, I might prefer the pair of bikes in New England rather than a single bike with lots of space-consuming extras (I forgot who had those 2 bikes for sale but it was in their sig line).  I never rode fast and rarely wound it up because it is really too much bike for me if let loose, so I have no idea if it's a "runner", but my plan was/is to keep it running a long time.
If anybody is interested my email is in the book, or send a PM, but until January I am booked solid.

Valentine's Day bump.
At this time I also have a red front fairing with one crack & all or all-but-one tab fixed, 2 gold/black side fairings in mint condition.  With any luck and no trade these will be silver by next fall.
I just got a small folding trailer (keeping it) but I'll add digging machine, ATV, or rock digging tool to the wish list.  I think I already mentioned a hardbody camping trailer.

I'm going to put it up for cash sale and try to make room for one of those things I wanted to trade for.
I'll be asking $1400 for the bike, spares, and manuals.
This is after a search on CycleTrader showed 7 sport touring bikes $2000 or less within 150 miles and the only one cheaper was a '96 Triumph in New Jersey.  One didn't even have saddle bags in the photo.
I'm allowing about $200 for the buyer to chew me down about the front tire unless I get a new one before it sells.
The current front has been on since I joined COG.
I'm also pricing it a couple or 6 hundred below the competition so the buyer can spend the difference on tools, parts, storage, whatever.
And I plan to just put a sign on it, maybe try Cycle Trader in a couple of weeks and when I'm psyched for the annoying calls and whatever.
A C50 cruiser like the bike I "traded" for the Connie is priced at $5K but when I think about spending 8 years trying to polish WD stains off the chrome...

Here's a few fairly recent pics:

Attachments

• 2018-05-04frontsmall.jpg.jpg
    2018-05-04frontsmall.jpg.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 174
  • 2018-07-06 18.55.46.jpg
    2018-07-06 18.55.46.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 2018-07-16 10.50.06[22].jpg
    2018-07-16 10.50.06[22].jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 2018-09-03 09.18.19.jpg
    2018-09-03 09.18.19.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 139
Shameless bump!  I have this on Cycle Trader, everything C10 for $1300.  I am telling folks "bike only" for $500, would include only what's bolted on now.  I added what I paid for the bolt-on farkling and got $998 IIRC.  (Selling it is like getting a refund on used beer, after all).
There is an interested bike only buyer w/ an Arkansas area code and I offered to bring it as far as Johnson City TN if and as soon as we both can arrange schedules, any help with that is welcome.
Special offer: 5% donation to OTP from proceeds of sale.

I changed the spark plugs, did a valve adjustment, and checked for hydrolock.
The absolute maximum minus minimum were within .024" for the worst case (I measured each one twice).
The cams must be a lot less than 32 years old, there was absolutely no pitting.
I don't have a borescope so the piston surfaces are a mystery.
I grabbed a picture of a used C10 piston off eBay as research.
I was wondering whether the depth gauge could be influenced by a crown or pockets for valves.
The picture (piston is is not from my bike) shows carbon buildup could be a factor.
My pistons could be 32 years and 83K miles young.
They likely have some random surface imperfections that could affect the hydrolock measurement.

Attachments

• eBayPiston.jpg
    eBayPiston.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Cams-small-3-16-19.jpg
    Cams-small-3-16-19.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 111
Not worthy of an Oscar but representative of the bike:

https://youtu.be/AXiS2gDAEyA
The video is about 8 minutes, New York 55 mph towards the end (after a pickup and a minivan passed me I paced them).

If I could change the thread title to "For Sale or Trade" I would do that.

With the good fairings painted & installed I'm pulling the bike-only price up to $1000, but for now bike-only will include as much of the other stuff as you want.  Bike has a new front tire and good tread on the rear. Normal wear & tear to be expected if not sold soon ;-)
I'll post a pic as soon as it's done.
Other stuff includes the cropped fairings and the original carb rack w/o SISF tubes.  The rack on the bike has the SISF mods.
All offers will be considered, of course, and be advised that the older posts starting in 2016 can't be edited.

I have a hoopty 1996 C1500 Silverado that is great work truck 5.7 V8 thats been well maintained. Body okay. Cab is crap as PO had huge sound system installed from Bed through cab and it was ripped off so huge hole in back of cab that needs a patch. Great tires. AC works but slight leak into cab. Passed safety inspection. Kicker I live in Tx

croach1776 said:
I have a hoopty 1996 C1500 Silverado... Kicker I live in Tx
Maybe consider it in the fall if a few other things change.  I might have a taker close to me.  Haven't heard anybody say hoopty lately, reminds me of a sci-fi TV show I liked.

Ya. I am hoping with the way Congress is throwing money around that they will include the Cash For Clunkers program again. I will be the first in line. Sad way for a good old truck to end up but thats about 3K more than I could sell her for. Stay safe

This is the bike tonight.  PM sent to Ari, not sure what he wants.
A daylight picture will follow with all due haste.
I promised the wife I wouldn't ride until the emergency rooms go back to normal.
It started on the 2nd crank this week though.

Attachments

• 20200411_RightFrontSmall.jpg
    20200411_RightFrontSmall.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 20200411_LeftFrontSmall.jpg
    20200411_LeftFrontSmall.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20200411_RightRearSmall.jpg
    20200411_RightRearSmall.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 20200411_LeftRearSmall.jpg
    20200411_LeftRearSmall.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 116
After using some compound on the right side fairing it feels smoother, looks a little better.  The front fairing hasn't been compounded yet, the gas tank was professionally painted in 2013 or so. This is daylight reflected off the siding on the garage behind me (same as the siding you can see).

Also I don't need a van or truck anymore, but I'll consider any offer.

Attachments

• 20200416_105656.jpg
    20200416_105656.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 107
This is from the first post.  You need to make an offer and maybe tell him how your life will be destroyed if you don't get that bike! ;D
Maybe I'd just sell the bike but you'd have to make me an offer I can't refuse or sooth my feelings with a story about how much you need it and how lucky it will be with its new owner.

Zip code 11590, NY.  22 miles east of Manhattan.
I'm asking $1000 cash, including everything "Concours" that I can find.  In the picture with the parts laid out, the good fairings are now painted and on the bike.
Extras include the cropped fairings, a rack of carbs, some plastifix, maybe extra scoops I thought I had, specialty tools, and more.
The tires have low miles, 1 year old front, I think 2 year old rear.  Valve adjustment last year.  Inspection passed in October.  Helmets, gloves, & jackets if you want them.

Bud said:
This is from the first post.  You need to make an offer and maybe tell him how your life will be destroyed if you don't get that bike! ;D

Actually, my life might be destroyed soon, since I have to go to NYC by Memorial Day week.  :mad:
This bike looks like a good Escape-From-New-York kind of vehicle.

Bud said:

:rotflmao:

A rare find is an indicator of a good web site.
There are others here that just haven't been "bumped" lately.

It's back on the block.  Sale fell through.
Still need stuff of comparable value like an ATV, a nice camper, a good 3D printer or scanner, maybe a sawmill  ;)
Long Island is in "Phase 2 re-opening" today  :great:

What a shame, I guess its an east coast thing. Out west prices are headed way up. Scanned craigslist last week and in my 4 state area there was only one C-10 in LasVegas at a dealer for 7850.00, I immediately put my 04 up on the block in az for 3000.00 just for the fun of it and sold it to the first looker for my asking price. Damit I should have asked for 4000.00. But thats life. My grandson's first motorcycle is now enroute from China via the UT dealer.It's a sweet little 90cc MX'r compliments of granpa.

I'm not sure what the corona is doing to the market.  I think I based my price on a search for "sport touring" within a reasonable distance.
Regardless of brand, comparing age and mileage I think I'm more than fair.  Of course I expect the price to go up eventually but I don't think it will ever be "Concours" quality again  :rotflmao:  :-[
As a nice example of a 1987 bike I think I've got it.  I put a semi-permanent for sale sign on the dash.  Now if I could ride it somewhere that people could see it...

No longer available from me!
Traded for a 2002 4x2 ATV valued by its owner at $850.
Looks like it spent some time in salt water, VIN is unreadable. A new and different adventure begins.
Post Script: NY DMV confiscated the ATV.
DMV rep says the law is that an ATV without a VIN is presumed stolen.
Also says I am not likely to get it back.
At least somebody wanted the bike enough to give me something I wanted in exchange for it.
Now if I could only rationalize why, in Connecticut, having something that is 18 years old, has 300 cc's, and no VIN, can be a felony when, for example, a car break-in (in NY, 25 years ago), with $200 prescription sunglasses stolen, and that ruins a $150 car door isn't even worth investigating.

Attachments

• 20200701_162254.jpg
    20200701_162254.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 94
Last edited: