• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork Springs

Bud

I've got blue torn down to do a bunch of things. Fork service is on the list. The previous owner (Hi Fred!) cut the oem springs and installed with emulators. I've got some aftermarket springs that are marked 90#. Does anyone have any idea how these compare. I'm thinking of going with the aftermarket ones and see how that turns out.

Question; What do you want the new springs to do? (Harder or softer)
,,Have you set the sag?
,,Are you currently able to set it (with the available pre load)?
,,Are you using all the travel?
,,Use this to determine; Are the current springs too soft, or too hard?
Next; Find out if the new springs are harder or softer than what you currently have.
ie; Place a weight on top of each spring and see how much that weight compresses the spring.

If you don't want to go thru that, It wouldn't hurt to give them a try anyway. <grin>
(If they don't work, you can easily change back) 🥴

NOTE:
I have a set of Sonic Springs and have considered doing the same.
Forgotten how the Spring rate is noted on Motorcycle springs.
(Maybe someone can explain)
My Sonic's are marked 1.1.
On yours, 90 may mean 90 pound's (or Kg) of force per inch of compression?

Ride safe, Ted

PS: My Sonics came with a note on how long to make the spacer.
Their 13 1/2" long and the suggested Spacer length is 6 3/4" for 94 and up, 7 1/8" for earlier.
** If your using an Emulator, decrease the length by the length of the Emulator. (Approx 3/4")
Give me the length of your springs and we can determine if those dimensions might be useful.

Last edited:
Well my assumption that the springs were cut is wrong. Once I cleaned the springs up and looked at the ends, I see 1.2. On the race tech website, it's saying to use 1 kg springs. I have a set of 90kg and a set of 1.2kg. I never set the sag. The spacer was short enough that there was basically little to no preload. The adjusters were all the way out. I thought it was a bit stiff so I'm inclined to try the 90's and see what I think. Looking more for comfort than performance. What do you think Ted?

Attachments

• IMG_20220516_183416_411.jpg
    IMG_20220516_183416_411.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20220516_183336_981.jpg
    IMG_20220516_183336_981.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 95
I have changed the title of this thread after discovering my mistake in assuming the 1.2 spring were cut. I expected the end would be polished smooth after being cut by the manufacturer. Maybe this thread can be useful by illustrating how springs are marked. I had not noticed either of the markings in the past. I've done too much assuming on this project. I assumed it had stock steering head bearings since it came with a set of tapered bearings in the spare parts box that Fred gave me. Imagine my surprise to see tapered bearings already installed when I opened it up. I'll clean and regrease and put it back together. Next will be fork seals, wipers and wheel bearings. Sorry for the confusion.🤦‍♂️

Something is wrong in your numbers.
It would be almost impossible to have a set of 1.2 Kg and a set of 90 Kg springs and not see the difference.
The 90's would be made from HUGE wire.
ie; If 1.2 Kg is needed, 90 Kg would hold up a battleship.
Bottom line; ya need to understand what springs you have.

To be comfortable, you need control of the damping, use full travel, and not have too much or too little sag.
(If your seeking improvement) ya need to "know" what you have, and what your accomplishing.
ie; What do you "want" the new springs to do? (Harder or softer)

To know the answers, You really need to ask yourself the questions I asked and do the tests.
Determine if the 90's are stiffer/weaker than the 1.2's.
See what the sag currently is.
See if your using "all" your travel.
Additionally, see if the damping is set correctly.

NOTE: Most people never do this, and just ride it as it is.
Or they change something and swear it's better. (Placebo effect)

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I don't know much about C10 stuff, but I would venture to say that the 90 is pounds per inch. Which is 1.6 kg/mm. Conversely 1.2 k/mm, is 67 #/in. Still a big change but if the 1.2 are soft, it might be worth a jump to 1.6.

Dug out the box for this pic. Looked in Fred's notes and he stated that they are 1.2 kg springs. Apologies for leaving the decimal point out. I can't check current sag as the forks are apart.

Attachments

• IMG_20220517_110854_809.jpg
    IMG_20220517_110854_809.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 86
Thanks Laker, that could have been the explanation.
But {with Bud's note},,, Ahh soooo, We now understand.
Y'all note that I'm not as dumb as I look. 🤪
ie; I knew that 90 vs 1.1 was a HUGE difference.

I understand that the forks are apart.
Just sayin' that change is best if you understand what ya changed, and (more importantly) what your trying to accomplish..

NOTE: All stock C-10 springs were on the soft side.
But they were progressively wound. (not a single set rate)
Smoother, but unfortunately this allows the bike to dive a lot when braking. {and sag too much if you weigh about 200#}
Because of that, the bike can bottom under hard braking or if you hit big/sudden bumps.
Because their not progressively wound, the .90's may be only slightly stiffer than the OEM's.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: I'm NOT a spring/suspension expert. Just sharing the little that I think I know.

Race tech spring calculator says, if you weigh 220, to use .98kg/mm or closest to that. It says stock is .4kg/mm. I think I'm gonna try the .90kg/mm springs and see how it works out. 15 weight oil from Murph. Oil level set to 158-160 mm or about 6.25 inches. Fork compressed, spring out. Emulators will be installed with blue spring set to 2 turns.

Race tech spring calculator says, if you weigh 220, to use .98kg/mm or closest to that. It says stock is .4kg/mm. I think I'm gonna try the .90kg/mm springs and see how it works out. 15 weight oil from Murph. Oil level set to 158-160 mm or about 6.25 inches. Fork compressed, spring out. Emulators will be installed with blue spring set to 2 turns.
Did you get this setup installed? If so, how do you like it?

I confirmed that (despite a Hagon shock on the back) my bike has stock forks, so I am looking to install racetech emulators and springs. Their web app recommends about 0.90 kg/mm springs. I'm about 175lb.

The tables from Sonic recommend a lot stiffer springs for just about any old model, and 1.1 or 1.2 springs on a C10. I wonder if that's because they assume you are still using the stock damping rod? From my understanding, with emulators, you have a lot tighter low-speed compression damping, which should allow better control of brake dive with a softer spring.

A C-10 does not have compression damping. It has rebound damping.
The compression damping is controlled by the size of the holes in the Emulsion tubes and thew weight/viscosity of the oil.
The Rebound Damping is largely controlled the same, but the Emulators/Damping valves allow you to adjust the rebound damping (after you increase the size and number of holes in the tubes).

The fork springs in your 600 and your Connie are Progressively wound. (see below at photo of ZX-600 springs)
The tightly wound coils at the top is a large part of the brake dive as it is not wound at the same strength as the coils in the lower (loosely wound) section at the bottom.
You can remove some of the tightly wound coils and lengthen the spacer accordingly.
This will greatly reduce brake dive.
{For your weight of 175# I'd remove about 3" - 3 1/2"}.

1706120001778.png

Another thought; Instead of using Gold valve Emulators, you can buy these for about 1/3-1/2 the cost.
A few simple modifications make them the same as the Gold Valves.
NOTE: The spring in them is the same strength as the blue spring in the Emulators.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I hadn't found the generic emulators, so I didn't know if they were still available.

My ZX-600-C actually has straight-weight springs. They re-designed the forks for the last couple years (94-97), eliminating the anti-dive system and going to straight-weight instead of progressive springs. They look the same on the outside, but only a couple parts interchange.

I have an older set from some spare parts, so I took them apart to compare. Mine (95) is on the left, and a 93-and older is on the right. I'm putting in emulators and slightly stiffer springs at the moment. Just have to wait for partzilla to actually send me the seals and bushings (pretty sure this is the last time I order from them, or at least until I calm down).

1000004321.jpg