• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Forum helped me fix front brake light issue

BrianG

Hi All. I am compelled to post this note of gratitude after hopefully resolving a sporadic front brake light issue. During a break on my last ride the rider behind me commented that he thought my brake light was not always coming on when I applied front brakes. Sure enough, it did not always come on. When I got home, I could not figure out where the switch was. The service manual was of no help. A search of this forum produced clear information about it. I cleaned and lubed the switch and cleaned the contacts (contact cleaner & silicon spray). I have now pulled the lever about 50 times without a failure so I am pretty hopeful that it is fixed.

I admit to being a forum member who shows up only when he needs something so wanted to say thank you to everyone here who is generous with their time and expertise.

Very nice of you Brian. Their are a lot of great people on this forum that are always their to help their fellow man. They know who they are. They have helped me several times to pick up the pieces in a time of need. I'am glad you got your brake light issue resolved so quickly.

Dean

Hi All. I am compelled to post this note of gratitude after hopefully resolving a sporadic front brake light issue. During a break on my last ride the rider behind me commented that he thought my brake light was not always coming on when I applied front brakes. Sure enough, it did not always come on. When I got home, I could not figure out where the switch was. The service manual was of no help. A search of this forum produced clear information about it. I cleaned and lubed the switch and cleaned the contacts (contact cleaner & silicon spray). I have now pulled the lever about 50 times without a failure so I am pretty hopeful that it is fixed.

I admit to being a forum member who shows up only when he needs something so wanted to say thank you to everyone here who is generous with their time and expertise.
Glad you got it fixed quickly Brian. Looks like you're a full member. The membership was so cheap, you must have forgotten about paying it!🤑

Glad you got it fixed quickly Brian. Looks like you're a full member. The membership was so cheap, you must have forgotten about paying it
I have been a member for a long time but my membership is all take and little give. I felt the need to acknowledge that, and to thank contributing members for their generosity.

I have been a member for a long time but my membership is all take and little give. I felt the need to acknowledge that, and to thank contributing members for their generosity.
I bet if someone needs help while traveling in your area that you'd quickly become a giver. Everyone appreciates a thank you!

The front brake switch is very robust and responds well to a cleaning. I've found the folks here to be invaluable in providing great advice gained from millions of miles of riding and wrenching. Most dealership shops and even some general motorcycle shops have policies of not accepting a motorcycle that is 17 years old or older. It's definitely worth the price of admission just for the knowledge here.