• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front wheel ruined by road debris

Zellerized

I was on the highway just after dark at about 75mph when I hit something very solid in the road. It felt like a pothole but the road is new and was likely metal or something large though I never saw it. Pulled over to find another car there with a pulverized wheel. Then no less than 5 other cars came up with the same issue. The car wheels were almost destroyed while my front was bent on both sides but not even as bad as the cars. I'm worried about the fork a little bit.

I need a new wheel asap and my deductable is 1000 for collision... So that was my mistake.

Anyone have a front that will fit a 2011 they need to get rid of or have any advice?

Probably a pothole or some road debris. It's easy to hit something like that and thankfully a bent rim is your only damage. I doubt it hurt the fork but I would swap out both the rim and the tire.

I am NOT a fan of Aluminum alloy wheel repair especially on a motorcycle. Aluminum doesn't take well to bending the way steel does.

Find a nice used wheel and put a new tire on it.

I ran over someone's drive shaft left on the road one night at a 45 degree angle. Bent both my rims ever so slightly. So slight that you cannot see the damage, but it's there. Still riding on both wheels. Amazing that the bike and me survived. It took me a week to notice where the rims took the hit.

I agree with the ebay suggestion. I found a cheap rear wheel on ebay that I use as a spare. I'm glad all you're replacing is the front wheel.

You might consider sending it (them) to Woody's Wheel Works (Denver, CO). I've sent a number of damaged rims to them and they do an excellent job, and are actually quite reasonable.

A couple of rims off a large Suzuki that hit a 4x4 in the road one night:
Frankie%27s%20wheels%20002-L.jpg

Frankie%27s%20wheels%20005-L.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't take any "after" shots, but you could barely tell that there had been any damage.

You might consider sending it (them) to Woody's Wheel Works (Denver, CO). I've sent a number of damaged rims to them and they do an excellent job, and are actually quite reasonable.

A couple of rims off a large Suzuki that hit a 4x4 in the road one night:
Frankie%27s%20wheels%20002-L.jpg

Frankie%27s%20wheels%20005-L.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't take any "after" shots, but you could barely tell that there had been any damage.
That's amazing those could be fixed.

Right now I still don't have my ride back! Geico quoted me something ludicrously low and the bike shop then did the inspection and provided the quote. The front lower ferrings were damaged among other things and now Geico is not responding and it has been a month since I opened the claim! I'm so busy at work to track them but now I have to make it my job to get a response from my insurance company. I will never use these people again.

I've sent a few wheels to Woody's with bends (dents) in them, not quite as bad as yours but bad enough to stop using the bike. Woody's did a excellent job on the wheels, maybe even truer than OEM spec. I think the cost was about $175, shipping was about $50.

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen.

I will not hesitate to contact woody's next time.

I still don't have my ride back. They had replaced plastic as well since the impact caused breaks to occur. Part ordering time etc.. I'm picking it up on Tuesday. Ive missed the last couple months of my riding season and that is sickening. I know my concours has been a little too much of my life but common man... Has it really? I believe I'll be keeping a second set of wheels in the garage from here on out boys!

Bottom line is good to hear only the bike got damaged...:) Send Woody's a picture of your wheel and then give them a follow up call. I'm pretty sure they will be able to make as good, or better than new.