• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel Injector cleaners

kzz1king

Anyone using any additives as a preventative measure? I have used techron in carburated bikes. It aften got gummed up carbs to work better but I always ended up removing them to clean to get them right. Never run additives through mt high mileage bike and it runs well but should I once in awhile?

Use both Techron and Red Line,

Prefer the Red Line since it works as the engine heat soaks.

Here are two pictures of an VRSCA engine I recently tore down to Install a 1350 sleeves. Used Red Line every other tankful for 33 thousand miles! E6E3003E-D416-4184-B4AC-6478A2C6C44B.jpeg7642C5CD-75DD-4912-8E53-B59EC92EE862.jpeg759709C1-9B04-494C-B2B8-FF542537BFAF.jpeg

Hahaha yea coffee can size pistons,
the tops of the intake valves are really clean, as the tops and ring lands of the Pistons. Good Ester based Motul and the fueling plays a role too

Amazing what combustion chambers look like today compared to 30 years ago, cylinder wear too..

Murph

Use both Techron and Red Line,

Prefer the Red Line since it works as the engine heat soaks.

Here are two pictures of an VRSCA engine I recently tore down to Install a 1350 sleeves. Used Red Line every other tankful for 33 thousand miles! View attachment 34287View attachment 34288View attachment 34289
Thanks. I read where someone preferred the redline over techron because its a detergent and doesnt dilute the oil. Why would Techron or any fuel additive effect the oil?

Techron or any fuel additive effect the oil?

Solvents to attack the carbon? I've always been a techron guy but after seeing CNDA9s post I think I'll be switching; I always treated the last tank of gas before an oil change, just what my mentor taught me to do..deluted oil/gunk all goes out in the oil change ..if gets past the rings, its in the oil

Murph

I don't think the cleaner will heavily contaminate the oil unless you are using extremely excessive amounts of it. Or the engine has glazed liners, Since most, if not all, engines have slight fuel dilution, a little of the cleaner that is not burnt during combustion and expelled out the exhaust is bound to make it's way into the oil.

Techron has been used in Chevron Gas since the 70s and used by many others brands of Top Tier.
What I have seen is on engine with heavy carbon is that it breaks it into smaller particles and they have scratched soft cylinders.

Most if not all modern motorcycle engines the cylinders are Nikasil coated 10x times harder then chrome.

Red Line softens deposits and sort of scrubs parts clean.

Mercury Marine has used Nikasil coating forever on their HP 2.5 & 2.4 motors on aluminum sleeves. Before that, they chromed the aluminum sleeves.

Been a fan of anything Redline produces.

Their 20-50w oil is in my 14. and I buy fuel cleaner a case at a time.

Last edited: