• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel range readout 2009 C14

ss1179852

Woody in BC
Haven't posted for a while. good to be thinking about riding again! Oil is changed and new rubber in place.
Just waiting for the Spring to arrive in British Columbia and the roads are swept.
Since I purchased the 09 with 6000 Kms on it 2 years ago I don't trust the readout on the display showing how many KMS left in the tank after filling.
I fill to the brim and it never seems to say anything over about 250-300 kms. I feel that is not realistic for KMS from full tank.
The graduated scale gauge seems to show correctly so I rely on it.
Anyone else have the same issue/concern?
Appreciate your feedback!
Woody in BC

I wouldn't pay any attention to the range reading; it's based on the current fuel milage reading. If you're coasting down a hill & getting 75 mpg your range will instantly reflect that, if you're hammering it down the drag strip the opposite will show.

+1

Range is a decent general indicator but not great when there are changing conditions. I use in conjunction with the tank gauge.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Same for me, I have no experience running out on the C-14, I go by how much is in the tank when I fill it and what the tank is supposed to hold. I will learn from my esteemed fellow riders and take head their sage advice concerning distance left.😁

At the low fuel indicator I have about 50 miles to empty.
Agreed, but instead of miles I think in terms of .8 gallons left, and what I can do with it. I've been able to check many times over 14 years and the low fuel warning comes on at exactly 5 gallons used. From what I read I believe that is true for most C14s.

I use my trip meter. When it gets to 180 miles, I start looking for a gas station.
I have started setting my Garmin XP for similar to show gas stations around that mileage - is actually pretty effective for trips.

We usually stop every 150 miles anyhow…

It’s the day to day errands that I lose track and now just fill up at ~1/4 tank…