• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gas leaking out of manifold

RTVI

hello all glad to be a part of the group I'm coming from Southwest Florida and I own a 2000 Kawasaki Concours
So I decided to rebuild my carbs I think I did everything okay the petcock was working fine and when I got everything back together started the bike bike was completely cold it started right up but started leaking gas out of the manifold I immediately stopped it and haven't tried to start it again... It's probably informational to say that the whole reason I decided to clean the carbs is cuz out of the blue one day the bike just started running really really bad like no acceleration no performance barely would even keep idle. ... Need as many suggestions as possible I'm on a very low budget scared to even try to start it again
Ii7WVR.jpg

It's never not turned over on me or started it always did. that one day it lost 80% performance and acceleration.. what am I looking for after I do that? Thanks!

are overflows fitted to the carbs? that much fuel should never been in the combustion chamber, raw. it flooded. def check for a bent rod on #4

Okay will do.. and no i was planning on doing that in the future ultimately I wanted to send the carbs to steve but tight budget right now.. hope it isn't hydrolocked

Are you anywhere close to Sarasota/Bradenton area? SW Fl can be a pretty large area :)

If gas came out of the exhaust manifold you have a two fold issue. Petcock failed allowing gas to keep flowing when the engine shut off, and a carb(s) float valve did not seal allowing gas into the cylinder(s).
I would not try to start the engine again until you pull all plugs, place rags or an old beach towel over spark plug holes then turn the engine over to purge the gas. Also plan an oil change after the petcock and carb(s) are fixed.
Then, gotta get the petcock and carb floats situated. If you are close by (relatively), I can offer on site assistance.

Yes I'm in Clearwater right now in my current situation it's really hard to work on the bike and I don't have many tools right now so if you know anyone that can help or I can bring the bike to towing of course that would help greatly it is my only transportation right now so it's kind of screwing me but that's the way the cookie crumbles

my suggestion, since you seem to be in a real pinch, is to get a new set of plugs, clear motor out. hopefully will be ok. see if you can get the carbs off and check to make sure the floats are working. if anything, at least the #4 carb. worst case, at least pull the carb drain and turn the petcock onto prime, sometimes that can flush out the needle and seat. To victors point of petcock failure potential: , id fit an inline cutoff valve in the fuel line. the 1/4" ones in the parts stores in the mower aisle will work. I -do not care- what anyone on here says, they will flow enough to ride the bike anywhere where you need to at highway speeds (been there done it when i 1st got mine, was on it when i bought it) until it gets fixed properly. .02

The leaking gas was with the bike running? If so the petcock would be open do to vacuum. (Petcock could be good if no leaks when not running) That much fuel will be a problem with the float. Float stuck open, not set correctly when you cleaned the carbs, or dirt in the seat.

Did you check the float level with the carbs on the bike before you started it?

Yes it will start and run poorly with fuel in the exhaust with a stuck float. (The reason I pulled my carbs the first time)

Remove the air filter and put petcock to prime. Look with an inspection mirror into all of the carbs for fuel coming into the intake. It may run out onto the airbox. This is faster than checking bowl fuel levels with a gauge tube on the carbs, for a large leak. Fix the bad carb float system. Do it in a well ventilated environment. PULL PLUGS AND CLEAR CYLINDERS OF FUEL BEFORE STARTING.

Okay will do! question though.. the manifold that needs to be replaced too? Raw gas leaks out then definitely fumes will.. could thay be the cause of the weak acceleration like over 30 seconds to get to 60mph .. and i never even had to rebuild the carbs?.. šŸ¤·šŸ˜¬

if it was leaking while sitting, and then ran, any fuel in the cyl due to overflow will then get pushed out as well. Thats my theory where it came from. you were probably running on 3 cylinders at best due to the # 4 plug being fouled wet. hence my inline cutoff suggestion when the bike is going to sit until the petcock can be repaired. (i run one similar, on both mine, as a backup -just in case-)

A back up SOV is fine but it would be better to find out if the vacuum one is defective. I know that you can get enough fuel to have it come out of the exhaust when running with just a leaking float valve and a good petcock. Been there done that. The mixture is so rich no ignition system can light it, so it just gets pumped out into the exhaust. Plus you will have to cut into the fuel line to install the manual SOV so you can check the operation of the vacuum petcock. No hydro lock in my case because the fuel shut off at the petcock when I stopped the engine.

Your exhaust manifold will probably seal up when it heats up. Check for leaks once you get it running correctly. Those seals are for hot air not fluids. Liquid gas is not supposed to get there.

The exhaust gaskets should be fine, need to address the fuel flow issue(s) first, perform hydrolock damage test, then move forward.
I'm just south of the Skyway/southern end of 275. Are you familiar where the Ellenton Outlet Mall exit is, I'm east of there about 3 miles.
So I can bounce over real quick, see whats what. Saturday I have a couple things early in the day, but pretty much open.
Do you have other wheels, or is the Connie your only transportation?

either way, text me at 941 - nine two eight - 9437 or call. (I'm on the floor of an open air warehouse during the week, so don't always hear the phone)

The exhaust gaskets should be fine, need to address the fuel flow issue(s) first, perform hydrolock damage test, then move forward.
I'm just south of the Skyway/southern end of 275. Are you familiar where the Ellenton Outlet Mall exit is, I'm east of there about 3 miles.
So I can bounce over real quick, see whats what. Saturday I have a couple things early in the day, but pretty much open.
Do you have other wheels, or is the Connie your only transportation?

either way, text me at 941 - nine two eight - 9437 or call. (I'm on the floor of an open air warehouse during the week, so don't always hear the phone)
Damn just logged on and seen this.. I gotta change my notifications on here..

I will text you and i will be tackling this project all this week as long as the rain stays away.. šŸ¤·

Here's the status update if anyone's curious or has any of the same issues. So I ended up clearing the carburetor bowls and it stopped leaking raw gas but I still had the issue of the engine feeling very strange almost like a out of balance sound turns out one of the coils wasn't igniting and firing on the first and forth cylinder so I checked all the connections to it everything looks good but the coil pack so I ordered a used one off eBay and that should be arriving tomorrow and hopefully that will complete the repair.
Just want to mention that Victor has been a great help and I'm very thankful for this group and his advice kudos to you man!