• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gel Pad Comfort

gp74

I have a Sargent seat that kills me after a hundred miles or so...too hard. I'm seriously considering having a local upholsterer place a 2 cm gel pad in the seat. I've never ridden on a gel pad. For those that have, just wondering what your opinion on them are. Do they have a somewhat cushy feel, or more firm, or just softer with some degree of support? This would be about 200 bucks, considerably cheaper than a new seat. Any opinions would be appreciated.

From my personal experiences with seats, and I've had most including a sergeant. The best standard style seat out there is the kawasaki touring seat. I've had a stock 2010 seat, a stock 2009 gel seat, a stock 2016 seat ( which was very good) and then the touring seat...

I've also had a corbin 2 piece which was good but need an air hawk seat cushion for 400 + mile rides.

I've got a bike cushion, similar to the air hawk, which I use on my Valkyrie. It works great but it sits me up a little higher, at least it feels that way, even with very minimal air as required. That's fine on the Valk but not so much on the connie for me. Was hoping to alleviate the excessive firmness without raising me up higher, and not spending 600 plus on a new seat. Maybe I'll try an air hawk. I know a lot of riders like them.

Last edited:
Fyi, I was able to but my kawasaki touring seat for $200. Keep checking the forum and the other venues (eBay, marketplace, adv forum) as seats come up from time to time as some riders get their custom seats.

Based on what others here have said, I have avoided gel pad seats or cushions. I have an air hawk and yes, they are nice but I wanted something more permanent and nicer looking and found a nice corbin.

I'd recommend an Air Hawk before dropping $200 on something that may not work for you.

The secret to an Air Hawk is to put very little air in it. When you think you have enough air out of it...then take half more out of it. I know it doesn't make sense but what you want to end up with, is the thinnest amount of air between the upper layer of rubber and the lower layer of rubber.

Chris