• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Got a 390 Adventure KTM

cuda

After getting passed by a 390 Duke at our sport touring school, I acquired a liking for that little motor, and every review was good so I bought a left over 2022 for $7,000 out-the-door tax tag title, I'm happy, salesman said it's a gift because they aren't making any money:unsure:

That's real nice! Loved my Superduke Gt for the year I owned it. Ktms are even more finicky that the Concours when it comes to battery and connections.

After getting passed by a 390 Duke at our sport touring school, I acquired a liking for that little motor, and every review was good so I bought a left over 2022 for $7,000 out-the-door tax tag title, I'm happy
That’s awesome!

Shedding 250+ pounds plus nimbleness must be likened to a car driver saddling up on a performance go-kart!

I am sure you are still removing the protective film but do let us know how you like it. For sure looks like a fun corner rocket and the built-in technology (Color TFT, Drive By Wire, Bi-Directional Quickshifter, etc) must be a welcoming experience.

Did bags come with the machine or are they optional?

What’s them wind protection like?

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I'm getting the factory rear rack for mounting a GIVI 30L

not getting side bags yet. Many, many options, they have made a lot of these so they have several companies making things for it,

I'm spoiled with the windshield the C14 has so that's happening quickly,

C-14 700lbs without bags, wet, vs 360 wet, 1/2 the weight:love:

The only thing I hate about the 14 is the weight, always been intimidated by 700lbs that high up, I might be 5'11" still, but I have short legs

Chimpanzee, bought a front trailer hitch from Etrailer, easy on, easy off because it's so light, It's going to be a blast out west, and I'm hoping to

Disappear for a winter after I sell the business.

I had a hard time not buying a 2220 790 adventure with 2,000 miles, but he would not drop another 500.

So I'm really happy to be buying new, I have three old friends who bought smaller bikes and love them, and this one is said to make the most

Power by far, at 16 I started dirt bike riding my girlfriend's brother's dirt bike and got hooked.

Riding bikes is the biggest bank for the buck in the fun category.

These bikes come with warning lights flashing from the factory, anytime you pass 6,500 rpms , it does not prevent you but flashes, and a dealer has to shut off at the 600-mile service. Then, there is a required valve check done by a dealer. Then you're good to go.

Plan on getting aftermarket performance enhancements. Once again many options, and I have to read more to make the right decision for my

Needs, some control just fuel others timing; also, These are made in India and very popular over there. With there poor road system

one common mod is to change front sprocket stock is 15 front 45 rear, so I read 14 front 45 rear stock, other say better to change rear to 48 and leave front stock ?
quicker chain wear at 14 front ?

I've been eyeballing a Honda CRF450L and it's an absolute must to change out the ecu. They sell you a whole new box, not a flash. The leader of pack is Athena GET. It's really cool in that you can do all tuning from a phone app. Plus comes with several canned maps. I see they do have an offering for your 390 but that's all I know. But I would definitely check it out. I believe that bike runs lean.

Smaller front sprocket lengthens the wheelbase. Bigger rear shortens it. Not much difference other than that. I'd change the ecu first.

Last edited:
These bikes come with warning lights flashing from the factory, anytime you pass 6,500 rpms , it does not prevent you but flashes, and a dealer has to shut off at the 600-mile service. Then, there is a required valve check done by a dealer. Then you're good to go. Plan on getting aftermarket performance enhancements. Once again many options, and I have to read more to make the right decision for my Needs, some control just fuel others timing; also, These are made in India and very popular over there. With there poor road system one common mod is to change front sprocket stock is 15 front 45 rear, so I read 14 front 45 rear stock, other say better to change rear to 48 and leave front stock ? quicker chain wear at 14 front ?

These bikes come with warning lights flashing from the factory, anytime you pass 6,500 rpms , it does not prevent you but flashes, and a dealer has to shut off at the 600-mile service. Then, there is a required valve check done by a dealer. Then you're good to go.

Plan on getting aftermarket performance enhancements. Once again many options, and I have to read more to make the right decision for my

Needs, some control just fuel others timing; also, These are made in India and very popular over there. With there poor road system

one common mod is to change front sprocket stock is 15 front 45 rear, so I read 14 front 45 rear stock, other say better to change rear to 48 and leave front stock ?
quicker chain wear at 14 front ?

Smaller front sprocket = more stress on the chain AND the sprocket itself...... which results in wear to both.

Initially, I'd go up one tooth on the front and see how it does. Don't mess the with rear if you don't have to. Not sure what the size limitation is for the front, but play with it first. Usually less $$ to boot.

FWIW - I went up one tooth on the front of my 2002 KLR. RPM @speed dropped ~500 RPM with no appreciable loss of acceleration of on/off road capability. Really wish I'd done that BEFORE my two trips out to MT.

Last edited:
Everything i read about this bike, everyone goes down the front or up two to three rear

The 390 Duke version comes with one inch-shorter rear tire in the rear, same 15 x 45 sprockets

I'm going to get a set of tires and wheels for the street and another true off-road

The stock chain is known to be junk, and stretches fast, this bike will only see 15-20 minute highway runs

So I read bigger sprocket in the rear is easier on the chain? so that's what I plan on doing?

A 48 is equal to a 14 front ratio

so thinking about a 47 rear and good chain kit

This motor spins high to make power HP at 9,500 rpms 7,000 Torque

He did a nice late apex pass at 2:14 and a no no at 2:56. The no no was he went in to the corner and through the corner under high acceleration. You can't do that with a big motor. Looks like fun and a good showing by the 390.

When I got passed, I was riding at a relaxed pace, not trying that hard, this one section has a lot of corners, and those little bikes eat them up.

I'm going to keep the stock 19/17 wheels for the off-road/ road tires, and

Going to get a new set of orange 3.5 x 17 and 5 x 17 rear wheel for sport tires

So I'll have choices.

This dealer still has two new 390 RC sport bikes variant for $6,000. Out the door

I know a guy that had a 1290 adventure and he wanted to do the same thing you're talking about. KTM told him it can't be done because the tire size difference would make the computer go wacky, not just the speedo. The answer is to make a new tone ring to allow for the size difference. So, I made one for him. He also needed spacers for both rotors and the axle itself. You may want to look into that.

Attachments

• tone r 2.jpg
    tone r 2.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 52
  • tone r3.jpg
    tone r3.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 55
What?

I would think you get one from the Duke for this application. The RC and Duke both use 17 wheels. The Adventure uses 19 front

You would think. I only know that was not the case with a 2017, 1290 adventure to duke swap. Wrong number of slots on the duke, I think there were many more than wanted. Probably for better feedback to the computer.

But you can check easy enough. Count the number of slots you've got. Calculate the number of slots you need. Then count the slots in the dukes ring and compare to what you need.