• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Got New Ignition Key (Stove Knob) - No Programming Needed!

I Feel Fizzy

Hey all,

I have a 2018 Concours 14. My stove knob ignition key had a slight bend, which I straightened, as it was a bit difficult to remove. (No doubt from my impatience waiting to turn it after pushing it down!) I was leery of it after that so I ordered what I thought was a new key blank from the dealer. We both thought it would just be the metal part of the key so I could use the existing stove knob with it. When it came in it was the whole key assembly, for about $23! The dealer couldn't cut the key with their equipment (go figure!!) so they said to try a locksmith to cut the key, then bring it back so they could program it to the bike. Locksmith cut the key in less than 5 minutes for less than $5 (He also owns a 2018 Concours). I figured I would try it to see if it worked. I put the new key in the ignition and held the original stove knob key next to it and it started. When I got home I put the original key way up in a bedroom far away from the bike, and the bike still started with the new key! Apparently it doesn't need to be programed after all (they said it would take about 1/2 hour at least), or it programmed itself when I started it with the new key in the ignition and held the original key next to it.
What say ye? Was the dealer feeding me a line, or just perhaps didn't know?
Thanks,
Craig

The "stove knob Key" itself doesn't have any of the electronics that is programed. That is in the fob itself.

As long as the electronic fob is there (or the passive fob is used), any key that is cut for your bike (fob Key included) will work in the ignition itself.

So there is nothing to program for the actual key itself. Not sure why the dealer wouldn't know that.

Hey all,

I have a 2018 Concours 14. My stove knob ignition key had a slight bend, which I straightened, as it was a bit difficult to remove. (No doubt from my impatience waiting to turn it after pushing it down!)

Thanks,
Craig
My key is slightly bent as well - came out from a rest area to find the key was sitting ****-eyed from someone trying to turn it without the FOB releasing it. At first the ignition was ‘lumpy’ and ‘crunchy’ to turn but now is fine after a few times of use..

Craig Thank You for sharing as I may opt for replacement before some dimwit tries that again and breaks off a weakened key...

All that's inside the stove knob key is the ratchet mechanism.

What you experienced when the dealer tells you something and you find out it's not even close to right is why I can't stand mechanics. They don't want to look stupid, so they give you an answer they make up on the spot. I'm sure over the years I've lost lots of jobs to other mechanics, because when asked a Q by a potential customer I would be honest and say, "i don't know, Ive never done that job before". Other mechanics will say "oh, I do that all the time" and they've never done the job one time... but they got the job in the door. The difference between us is that if I am involved in something for a first time I research the heck out of it, so I know what I'm doing before even turning the first bolt.
Steve

Thanks for the responses all, and Steve, the man himself! To be fair to the shop, I went in there thinking it needed to be reprogrammed, so they probably thought the owner of the bike knew something about it (Wrong!). But the service guy said it would take 1/2 hour, but be ready to stay an hour because we don't do this every day, and it may need to update their firmware, etc. Stlll.... it is a Kawi dealer.

I'm with you on the shops Steve, which is why I do all my own work, valve adjustments, fork rebuilds, mounting tires, etc.. I had a non-dealer shop do the steering head bearings on one of my bikes years ago. On the way home going around a turn the throttle started to open up! They routed the throttle cables incorrectly! That was it for me. I have had similar experiences with auto shops, including dealers.

Steve, even though you may have lost customers early on due to honesty, look at the place you are today because of it. (Plus hard work of course!)